collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 351
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ferrari Extends Leclcerc's Contract  (Read 3100 times)

Offline cosworth151

Ferrari Extends Leclcerc's Contract
« on: December 23, 2019, 04:43:38 PM »
The other shoe has fallen at Ferrari. After giving Vettel a 5 race ultimatum, the Prancing Horse folks has extended Charles Lecerc's contract through 2024.

Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto said,“With each passing race this year, our wish to extend our contract with Charles became ever more self-evident—and the decision means he will now be with us for the next five seasons. It demonstrates that Charles and the Scuderia have a firm future together."

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a30314060/ferrari-f1-extends-charles-leclerc-through-2024/

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Ferrari Extends Leclcerc's Contract
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 07:59:32 PM »
That Charles' contract got extended at Ferrari does not surprise me. They're a great fit for each other and the teams that are currently better are 1) not necessarily going to remain better, 2) don't have vacancies, 3) have less certainty about their future participation than Ferrari and 4) are, for different reasons, likely to be less compatible with the way Charles competes.

What did surprise me was the length. Two years is standard for someone in a top team whose skill has been confirmed. Three years is considered good. Five? That's one massive statement of confidence, rarely bestowed. No wonder it took so long to negotiate...

I wish Charles and Ferrari all the best with the extended arrangement.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 09:33:16 PM »
That Charles' contract got extended at Ferrari does not surprise me. They're a great fit for each other and the teams that are currently better are 1) not necessarily going to remain better, 2) don't have vacancies, 3) have less certainty about their future participation than Ferrari and 4) are, for different reasons, likely to be less compatible with the way Charles competes.

What did surprise me was the length. Two years is standard for someone in a top team whose skill has been confirmed. Three years is considered good. Five? That's one massive statement of confidence, rarely bestowed. No wonder it took so long to negotiate...

Agreed, I'm not sure I've heard of a 5 year contract in F1.  I assume there are escape clauses in there for both parties.  Especially if the sport is going to implement cost caps, they can't pay top dollar for a driver not driving like they did with Kimi.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 07:40:03 PM »
That might also be a reason. Maybe existing contracts might be "grandfathered" in under the new guide lines.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 10:44:18 PM »

Agreed, I'm not sure I've heard of a 5 year contract in F1.  I assume there are escape clauses in there for both parties.  Especially if the sport is going to implement cost caps, they can't pay top dollar for a driver not driving like they did with Kimi.

Given the last time a 5-year contract was signed was between Alonso and Ferrari, and that one was ended a year early, I'd be inclined to agree with you on the escape clause.

My guess is that Leclerc wouldn't have been after top dollar anyway; he'd happily "pay" a few million dollars in order to not be a No. 2 again without his consent, to encourage team stability at a front-running team and also to increase the probability of having a title-capable car. (Yes, I realise Ferrari's problems are not money-related, and the budget cap is structured such that the top 3 salaries aren't included, meaning the drivers at a team like Ferrari probably are exempt...)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 01:01:52 PM »
I have a problem with even the implication of conditions regarding teammates or position within the team.  The team should have complete authority about who they may or not fav our with regards to strategy or equipment.  Handcuffing a team by having management decisions taken by drivers, however important the driver is said to be, is not what F1 should be about.  The teams should have the ability to make decisions that are sound for the team, not just one driver.  It also weakens any negotiations they would have with a new driver.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 02:58:31 PM »
I have a problem with even the implication of conditions regarding teammates or position within the team.  The team should have complete authority about who they may or not fav our with regards to strategy or equipment.  Handcuffing a team by having management decisions taken by drivers, however important the driver is said to be, is not what F1 should be about.  The teams should have the ability to make decisions that are sound for the team, not just one driver.  It also weakens any negotiations they would have with a new driver.

As a sports fan, I prefer fair play:  the competitors showing up on as even a playing field as possible and let the best win.

As an F1 fan: since day one it has been about tilting the table to give your #1 guy as big a chance as possible to win so that he'll stay your #1 guy and bring glory to your team (and not someone else's).  If that means weird contracts, dubious decisions, burned bridges and outright cheating, it's the history of F1.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 10:35:10 AM »
I said should, not was.  I still think it’s a red flag for the team when a driver wants any authority over another driver - it would make me think the driver isn’t as talented or as valuable (or confident), and time to look elsewhere. 

We all know modern F1 success is more heavily weighted toward the teams technical performance, and that half the drivers on the grid could win in the right car, so why should the teams accept anything outside of a money for driver contract? 

I know, I know, a driver with talent to help develop the car is important, but not at the expense of team authority.  Want him more?  Pay him more.  Clauses will fall by the wayside.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle