collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 373
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Vettel: I can beat anyone  (Read 1870 times)

Online Dare

Vettel: I can beat anyone
« on: December 29, 2019, 11:25:44 PM »
We've noticed. One problem is Ferrari said they let Vettel
win Singapore. If he's so good win them fair. 5 races to impress

https://www.planetf1.com/news/vettel-i-can-beat-anyone-in-formula-1/
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:27:41 AM by Dare »

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Vettel: I can beat anyone
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 12:05:41 PM »
The question is not "Can Vettel win?". We know he can. The salient questions are "Will he win?" and "Will Ferrari have to pull quite so much hair out of its collective heads in 2020 as they did in 2019?". It does not help that Ferrari appears to want maximum room to manuever, because that sounds like the sort of deadline Toto Wolff might give for the Mercedes company to come back to him with a budget approval for 2021...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 03:17:46 PM »
Winning an F1 race requires so many things to go right.  The car has be good enough, the team has to be good enough when building and servicing the car, the pitwall team has to make calls that are good enough, the driver skill needs to be good enough, and the driver's confidence needs to be good enough.

That's a lot to put together, especially when you've got 19 other attempts going on simultaneously.

I think we can agree Vettel has the skills, and Ferrari is certainly capable of providing the car and the service.  That leaves the driver confidence, and the pitwall team.  It feels to me like Vettel pushes too hard to make up for that lack of trust.  Pushing too hard might work for a few laps, but it can't be sustained over a race.  Once Ferrari gets that trust sorted out, Vettel will be able to win reliably.

Naturally that's easier said than done, and across the garage he has an opponent who has learned how to win without that trust.  I don't know if many champions have been able to win without trusting their team, but LeClerc might be able to do it.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 04:46:47 PM »
I don't know if many champions have been able to win without trusting their team, but LeClerc might be able to do it.

I can name a few:- Prost - McLaren 88/89 and Surtees stint 63/66 was far from harmonious but he managed the 64 WDC, Mansell although potentially shafted by Williams 87, after final race let down in 86, came back for more in 90/91 - rest is history.
Even the great Fangio in 1956 had real problems from Old Man Ferrari, Juan Manuel managed to clinch the title with the help of fellow drivers at the Scuderia who respected him more than Enzo.

I don't doubt Vettel has more than one win left in him, but he has always had a propensity to crack under pressure from a faster moving hunter behind, especially from a rival team.
If he can get out ahead with a clear gap, or move through with more pace in last 3rd of race then he will win again. 
Will it be enough for him to survive into 2021? I'm not sure if even he knows, or wants that.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 11:20:27 AM »
The secret to winning with a team one does not completely trust, is to know what exactly it can be trusted with, to what extent it is trustworthy - and to supplement with one's own skills with the rest. No driver can fully overcome a total lack of trust in their team, as Alonso demonstrated in the latter part of 2007.

I don't think Vettel's fully trusted a team since Riccardo joined Red Bull, and the way Ferrrari strategy is performing, it would be wise for neither driver to fully trust that element. After all, Vettel's win last year came from he and his engineer overruling a Ferrari strategy in the face of an unexpected situation. I think Vettel knows (and Leclerc is still learning the finer points of it), but the real fight here is Vettel vs. his own habits. Arguably that is the toughest fight, bar the one against time itself.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Fuchs

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 01:24:46 PM »
I don't really like Vettel all that much, but I sympathize with him in this situation. It's an ugly one.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle