F1 News & Discussions > General F1 Discussion

Saudi Arabia Race

<< < (2/2)

John S:
Think teams will all be pleased whatever the track is like if the rumoured $50m+ race fee works out.
With race fees dropping at the historic European races Liberty needs another top payday to take up the slack.  :(

On the subject of acceptable/unacceptable regimes how come China is seldom cited for it's deficient human rights record and weird trade practices yet oil states get a right slagging.  :crazy:

I'm surprised it's taken this long for Saudis to want an F1 track/race.

Dare:
Seems to me Australia and Canada should both
have a extra race.

Robem64:

--- Quote from: John S on January 17, 2020, 08:48:57 PM ---On the subject of acceptable/unacceptable regimes how come China is seldom cited for it's deficient human rights record and weird trade practices yet oil states get a right slagging.  :crazy:

--- End quote ---

Good point :good:

Alianora La Canta:
At a guess, I think that Saudi Arabia paid the FIA a lot of money for the Formula E race and associated press coverage, because the media thought Saudi Arabia would find the human rights conditions unacceptable. Yes, Formula E is why women in Saudi Arabia are now allowed to drive, and why women's authority to travel can now be checked via an app (meaning restrictions can be lifted in a couple of minutes if unintentionally/incorrectly applied, instead of the previous hours/days-long procedure).

The authorities probably want to do the same thing again with F1.

Jericoke:

--- Quote from: Alianora La Canta on January 20, 2020, 10:45:50 AM ---At a guess, I think that Saudi Arabia paid the FIA a lot of money for the Formula E race and associated press coverage, because the media thought Saudi Arabia would find the human rights conditions unacceptable. Yes, Formula E is why women in Saudi Arabia are now allowed to drive, and why women's authority to travel can now be checked via an app (meaning restrictions can be lifted in a couple of minutes if unintentionally/incorrectly applied, instead of the previous hours/days-long procedure).

The authorities probably want to do the same thing again with F1.

--- End quote ---

Count me presently surprised with the FIA meeting their mandate of making automobile operation safer and more accessible, and using motorsport to do so!

If having an F1 race in Saudi Arabia is leading to actual policy changes, I withdraw my sentiments about the regime, vis a vie F1 (I still wouldn't go there, but I'll support progress)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version