collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 352
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Saudi Arabia Race  (Read 2532 times)

Offline Robem64

Saudi Arabia Race
« on: January 17, 2020, 02:43:21 PM »

"I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist with experience"

Online Jericoke

Re: Saudi Arabia Race
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 03:09:21 PM »
Honestly, I've been surprised to see 'petro state' races without one popping up in Saudi Arabia.  Saudis have been involved in the sport in ownership roles, the country has a cosmopolitan population, and has a strong 'car culture'.

I can't say I support Saudi Arabia as a regime, but wouldn't be the worst place the F1 circus goes.  I know the FIA tries to stay apolitical, but I'd support a 10 race season if they wanted to keep things 'ethical'.

Offline Robem64

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 04:26:50 PM »
I'd be hopeful that the track would be a good one as it appears it's actually had an ex-F1 driver consulted on it!

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 08:13:00 PM »
I'd be hopeful that the track would be a good one as it appears it's actually had an ex-F1 driver consulted on it!

If memory serves, Michael Schumacher consulted on the design of Malaysia.  I thought that was unfair, since he was an active driver at the time!

Offline Andy B

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 08:45:43 PM »

Its Alexander Wurz who besides being an ex F1 driver (Benetton, McLaren and Williams driver plus two-time Le Mans winner) is the current GP drivers association chairman so you would like to think he has some idea what he's talking about.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 08:48:57 PM »
Think teams will all be pleased whatever the track is like if the rumoured $50m+ race fee works out.
With race fees dropping at the historic European races Liberty needs another top payday to take up the slack.  :(

On the subject of acceptable/unacceptable regimes how come China is seldom cited for it's deficient human rights record and weird trade practices yet oil states get a right slagging.  :crazy:

I'm surprised it's taken this long for Saudis to want an F1 track/race.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Dare

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 12:04:44 AM »
Seems to me Australia and Canada should both
have a extra race.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Robem64

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 08:07:49 AM »
On the subject of acceptable/unacceptable regimes how come China is seldom cited for it's deficient human rights record and weird trade practices yet oil states get a right slagging.  :crazy:

Good point :good:

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 10:45:50 AM »
At a guess, I think that Saudi Arabia paid the FIA a lot of money for the Formula E race and associated press coverage, because the media thought Saudi Arabia would find the human rights conditions unacceptable. Yes, Formula E is why women in Saudi Arabia are now allowed to drive, and why women's authority to travel can now be checked via an app (meaning restrictions can be lifted in a couple of minutes if unintentionally/incorrectly applied, instead of the previous hours/days-long procedure).

The authorities probably want to do the same thing again with F1.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 03:09:42 PM »
At a guess, I think that Saudi Arabia paid the FIA a lot of money for the Formula E race and associated press coverage, because the media thought Saudi Arabia would find the human rights conditions unacceptable. Yes, Formula E is why women in Saudi Arabia are now allowed to drive, and why women's authority to travel can now be checked via an app (meaning restrictions can be lifted in a couple of minutes if unintentionally/incorrectly applied, instead of the previous hours/days-long procedure).

The authorities probably want to do the same thing again with F1.

Count me presently surprised with the FIA meeting their mandate of making automobile operation safer and more accessible, and using motorsport to do so!

If having an F1 race in Saudi Arabia is leading to actual policy changes, I withdraw my sentiments about the regime, vis a vie F1 (I still wouldn't go there, but I'll support progress)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle