collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 139
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Prince Harry  (Read 5338 times)

Offline Dare

Prince Harry
« on: January 20, 2020, 02:21:46 AM »
I wonder why our English friends think of
Harry given up his title? I really can't understand
why he would.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: Prince Harry
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 03:15:31 PM »
I wonder why our English friends think of
Harry given up his title? I really can't understand
why he would.

Most of us choose our careers, he didn't.

Most of us choose what the world does, and doesn't see in our private life.  He didn't.

The main job of being a 'royal' is to eventually become King or Queen.  He's not going to get that either.

On top of all that, his job is basically the same one his mother had, and she died for it.  (I suppose she died after stepping away as well, but still.)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 04:08:45 PM »
Seems to me both Prince Harry and Meghan have Father issues aside from anything else.
But hey we've seen that before with Harry's dad, the heir Prince Charles and his old man the Duke of Edinburgh, still I'm sure it's significant.

Even today a broadcast of a speech given yesterday by Prince Harry makes reference to HRH the Queen, his wife, son and his departed Mother. There is, as usual, no mention of his Father - whom he's been more than happy to expect to pick very sizeable tabs on his behalf.

I believe the HRH title is being held back to make clear that Prince Harry/Duke of Sussex/Earl of Dumbarton and Baron Kilkeel or his wife Duchess of Sussex will have no official/legal government status when making visits to countries around the world.

Overseas trips carried out by the senior royals are either at the behest or with the blessing of UK government.
Much of the time royal state and other visits are part of UK diplomacy and trade efforts around the world.

Also should mention Meghan never expected to be treated by the British press like Ferrari is by Italian press.
Shoulda studied harder before accepting the role methinks.  ;) 

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 04:18:50 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 08:59:30 PM »
Can their son claim a title when he gets
older? I think there is more too it than they
want a different life. And I think it's MM
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 01:57:50 PM »

Their son Archie automatically has the epithet Lord not Prince, and can if they wish take over one of Prince Harry's lesser peerage titles by right, eg. Earl of Dumbarton or Baron Kilkeel.

The HRH has not been automatically used for great grandchildren of the Monarch since 1917 when King George V set limits on the royal HRH titles for great grandchildren. He declared only the eldest son of the Prince of Wales eldest son would be HRH and a Prince, all others male or female would be given titles relating to dukedoms.

The present Queen broke with this to create all children of Prince William and Catherine Duchess of Cambridge HRH (therefore Prince & Princess) by letters patent in December 2012. This change to George V decree was driven essentially by the revision in the succession rule from entirely male to become first born, male or female, of any heir.

For lesser ranking great grandkids of the Monarch the usual title is Lord or Lady, providing their parents take up any peerage offered. Children of Harry & Meghan fall in this group due to the Father's bloodline and peerage. 

The Queen may if she wishes allow Harry & Meghan's son/children to be Prince/Princess by once again overriding the 1917 decree.  - The jury is out on whether she is likely to even consider that.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 05:20:28 PM »

The rules are carved in stone, but the monarch has a chisel.  Basically whatever the Queen (or eventually King, long live the Queen) wants to happen will happen.

I think the British Royal family learned a lot from Diana's life (and death) about what it takes to remain beloved in their subjects.

So, the short answer is... whatever is expedient for the royal family will be what happens.  If Archie becomes a complete a-hole (unlikely as it may be, being raised in Canada), the family will likely ensure no one remembers him.  On the other hand, if Archie cures cancer, he'll be right there, side by side with royal cousins.  Anything in between would be on a case by case basis.                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 06:57:07 PM »
Diana died after trying to evade the media, while being driven by an idiot.  Stepping away or being a royal or not had nothing to do with it I think.

Megan seems to not be able to handle the spotlight/magnifying-glass of a Royal's life makes me think she is very naive and in way above her head.  That either of them seem to think they can make a living outside the palace walls makes me think the same.  Good luck. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 08:02:17 PM »
Diana died after trying to evade the media, while being driven by an idiot.  Stepping away or being a royal or not had nothing to do with it I think.

Megan seems to not be able to handle the spotlight/magnifying-glass of a Royal's life makes me think she is very naive and in way above her head.  That either of them seem to think they can make a living outside the palace walls makes me think the same.  Good luck.

It also has to to be noted that if Diana and Dodi had their seatbelts on they would have survived.

I have not read a great deal over Megxit but what I have read and looking back in history Harry will regret his actions but only time will tell.

Megan is playing a game and I think it may come back to bite her, are Canadians really going to fund their security?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 09:07:15 PM »
I've seen a couple articles saying Canada is not a refuge for ex-Royals. Don't know how official that attitude is. They will be far from broke, at least some of Harry's titles that he will retain come with an income.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 12:15:22 PM »
I've seen a couple articles saying Canada is not a refuge for ex-Royals. Don't know how official that attitude is. They will be far from broke, at least some of Harry's titles that he will retain come with an income.

Not really true Lonny the titles have no income as such, most of Harry & Meghan's expenditure not covered by the tax payer funded Sovereign Grant Fund payment has been underwritten by Harry's father, Prince Charles, via income from the Duchy of Cornwall - a real money paying title.

Leaving the Sovereign grant behind means they may have to rely on handouts from his dad more than ever.
Sure Harry & Meghan have money in the bank, estimated at somewhere between £20m and £30m, from the inheritance left him by his mother and Meghan's own stash. 

However, unlike most of us who could easily survive on that for life, the expenditure of these royals means the reserves might not last that long.  ::)

The final rub for Harry is that Brother William will take over the Duchy of Cornwall and all its income when Charles becomes King. The Duchy of Cornwall was established by Edward III in 1337 with the purpose of providing an income for the eldest son of the Monarch.

Everyone save the first born gets the scraps and mostly lives on the Largesse of the top team in British Royalty.
This is what partners of 2nd and 3rd kids of the royals find hardest to live with I think.     

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 01:32:06 PM »
If MM resumes here acting how long will
Harry enjoy being a stay at home dad and
ex  royal baby sitter?

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 03:04:34 PM »
If MM resumes here acting how long will
Harry enjoy being a stay at home dad and
ex  royal baby sitter?

What was he doing as a 'Royal' anyway?  Surely plenty of time at home with Archie, so this doesn't change.

But why does he have to be stay at home dad?

He has military experience, in Canada.  I know some countries treat veterans like crap, but in Canada they're sought after in the work place.  He could easily sit on a few boards for a few companies.  He has a very unique perspective, which is important for a corporation to have.

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 11:15:23 PM »
Yeah I'm sure Harry will be  looking for a job with
the common folks...wait he's one of them now

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 12:23:52 PM »
He has military experience, in Canada.  I know some countries treat veterans like crap, but in Canada they're sought after in the work place.  He could easily sit on a few boards for a few companies.  He has a very unique perspective, which is important for a corporation to have.

Not my brother-in-law.  He had high hopes of landing a decent job after retiring from the military, and has been scrounging for work ever since.  If I want my sister to come for a visit, I’ll have to fund her flight.

I’m not sure what Harry’s perspective could bring any corporate boards, but some would surely hire him just for the bling factor.

I don’t think Canadians really care about Royals taking up residence in Canada, but probably aren’t keen on footing the security bills, especially after the moaning some did when the PM bought $4 doughnuts instead of their cherished Tim Hortons for his staff recently.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 01:02:12 PM by Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 01:45:54 PM »

Not my brother-in-law.  He had high hopes of landing a decent job after retiring from the military, and has been scrounging for work ever since.  If I want my sister to come for a visit, I’ll have to fund her flight.

I’m not sure what Harry’s perspective could bring any corporate boards, but some would surely hire him just for the bling factor.

I don’t think Canadians really care about Royals taking up residence in Canada, but probably aren’t keen on footing the security bills, especially after the moaning some did when the PM bought $4 doughnuts instead of their cherished Tim Hortons for his staff recently.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother-in-law.  Maybe I know the lucky ones.

As for Royal Security, just get former Prime Minister Jean Chretien in there.  He was better at security than the RCMP

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle