Everything Else > Off Topic

Prince Harry

(1/4) > >>

Dare:
I wonder why our English friends think of
Harry given up his title? I really can't understand
why he would.

Jericoke:

--- Quote from: Dare on January 20, 2020, 02:21:46 AM ---I wonder why our English friends think of
Harry given up his title? I really can't understand
why he would.

--- End quote ---

Most of us choose our careers, he didn't.

Most of us choose what the world does, and doesn't see in our private life.  He didn't.

The main job of being a 'royal' is to eventually become King or Queen.  He's not going to get that either.

On top of all that, his job is basically the same one his mother had, and she died for it.  (I suppose she died after stepping away as well, but still.)

John S:
Seems to me both Prince Harry and Meghan have Father issues aside from anything else.
But hey we've seen that before with Harry's dad, the heir Prince Charles and his old man the Duke of Edinburgh, still I'm sure it's significant.

Even today a broadcast of a speech given yesterday by Prince Harry makes reference to HRH the Queen, his wife, son and his departed Mother. There is, as usual, no mention of his Father - whom he's been more than happy to expect to pick very sizeable tabs on his behalf.

I believe the HRH title is being held back to make clear that Prince Harry/Duke of Sussex/Earl of Dumbarton and Baron Kilkeel or his wife Duchess of Sussex will have no official/legal government status when making visits to countries around the world.

Overseas trips carried out by the senior royals are either at the behest or with the blessing of UK government.
Much of the time royal state and other visits are part of UK diplomacy and trade efforts around the world.

Also should mention Meghan never expected to be treated by the British press like Ferrari is by Italian press.
Shoulda studied harder before accepting the role methinks.  ;) 

Dare:
Can their son claim a title when he gets
older? I think there is more too it than they
want a different life. And I think it's MM

John S:

--- Quote from: Dare on January 21, 2020, 08:59:30 PM ---Can their son claim a title when he gets
older? I think there is more too it than they
want a different life. And I think it's MM

--- End quote ---

Their son Archie automatically has the epithet Lord not Prince, and can if they wish take over one of Prince Harry's lesser peerage titles by right, eg. Earl of Dumbarton or Baron Kilkeel.

The HRH has not been automatically used for great grandchildren of the Monarch since 1917 when King George V set limits on the royal HRH titles for great grandchildren. He declared only the eldest son of the Prince of Wales eldest son would be HRH and a Prince, all others male or female would be given titles relating to dukedoms.

The present Queen broke with this to create all children of Prince William and Catherine Duchess of Cambridge HRH (therefore Prince & Princess) by letters patent in December 2012. This change to George V decree was driven essentially by the revision in the succession rule from entirely male to become first born, male or female, of any heir.

For lesser ranking great grandkids of the Monarch the usual title is Lord or Lady, providing their parents take up any peerage offered. Children of Harry & Meghan fall in this group due to the Father's bloodline and peerage. 

The Queen may if she wishes allow Harry & Meghan's son/children to be Prince/Princess by once again overriding the 1917 decree.  - The jury is out on whether she is likely to even consider that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version