collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 515
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: corona virus and F1  (Read 13179 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: corona virus and F1
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2020, 08:59:57 PM »
F1 is cancelling it's contracts with cameramen for 2020. Huge restructuring means old deals no longer apply. Might this actually be the beginning of the end of F1 2020?

https://www.racefans.net/2020/04/10/f1-cancels-2020-deals-with-camera-staff-but-that-doesnt-mean-the-season-is-off/
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2020, 04:45:09 AM »
F1 is cancelling it's contracts with cameramen for 2020. Huge restructuring means old deals no longer apply. Might this actually be the beginning of the end of F1 2020?

https://www.racefans.net/2020/04/10/f1-cancels-2020-deals-with-camera-staff-but-that-doesnt-mean-the-season-is-off/

The sooner everyone takes this seriously, stays isolated, and lets the virus run itself out, the sooner we can get back to the 'real world'.

We certainly won't have a 2020 season in any way we had hoped, but I hold out hope that there will be F1 racing this year.

Offline Dare

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2020, 05:12:06 AM »

The sooner everyone takes this seriously, stays isolated, and lets the virus run itself out, the sooner we can get back to the 'real world'.

We certainly won't have a 2020 season in any way we had hoped, but I hold out hope that there will be F1 racing this year.

Agreed,many people I know act like it's all a hoax.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2020, 03:35:11 PM »

Unfortunately I can see why 'Teens & Twenties might regard this as just another problem heaped on them by the 'Baby Boomers' - that's us!  Here in Britain they have seen house ownership get beyond most average means for under 35s, wages stagnate at below inflation adjusted levels for some years and the old age pensions and old age care bills rocket as we live longer and longer. All they can see is bigger tax bills and less goodies ahead.   

From their point of view they're having to stop enjoying life when there is negligible risk to their own lives (according to the medical stats). I think we need more focus on the sacrifice being made by the younger generation for us old'ns.

Hey perhaps they should award medals for the under 35s after this is over, sure give special ones to heroes - lifesavers etc - but a general one for the rest, like a campaign medal during other wars. 

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:39:48 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2020, 09:18:23 PM »

Still?!? I thought denying the existence of COVID-19 was impossible by this point! It's become the leading cause of death in some parts of the world...

I've heard of people mistaking it for flu or chicken pox, but to claim it's literally nothing is absurd.

Side note: I'm not sure how many of you are aware, but some of the drivers are trying to raise money for the WHO's COVID-19 response in an eSports series called "Race For The World". Various participants are streaming via Twitch with donation buttons under the relevant videos, and there's also a Tiltify donation page. As I type, they've managed to raise $35,671.30. Next race is 6 pm CEST (which I think is 5 pm BST, though the start times have been a bit relaxed) tomorrow. I know eSports are not everyone's cup of tea here, but it's still good to see that the drivers are trying to help.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 09:26:13 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2020, 10:08:34 AM »

Still?!? I thought denying the existence of COVID-19 was impossible by this point! It's become the leading cause of death in some parts of the world...

I've heard of people mistaking it for flu or chicken pox, but to claim it's literally nothing is absurd.

What people believe is a tricky subject Alia, some still swear the earth is flat for instance.

My own view on this covid-19 virus is that history may judge the response differently than we expect.

This period may be remembered not for the huge number of deaths from the virus but rather for the wrecking of the world economy, with possible starvation and strife in many parts later down the line.

Lets hope the cure being prescribed by our leaders is not worse than the virus itself.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2020, 05:21:42 PM »
What people believe is a tricky subject Alia, some still swear the earth is flat for instance.

My own view on this covid-19 virus is that history may judge the response differently than we expect.

This period may be remembered not for the huge number of deaths from the virus but rather for the wrecking of the world economy, with possible starvation and strife in many parts later down the line.

Lets hope the cure being prescribed by our leaders is not worse than the virus itself.   

If the 1918 flu is anything to go by, history will remember the deaths, the counter-reactions and the recession - all of which I believe will be remembered however leaders now act, but all somewhat hazily.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2020, 11:11:46 PM »
Today, here in NZ, is the 39th day in NZ without any community transmission, 18th day without any new C-19 cases, We have no current cases, only 22 people have died and we went to Level 1 at midnight which means we have no social distancing and life returns to near normal as our boarders remain closed.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Online Jericoke

« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2020, 02:03:53 PM »
Today, here in NZ, is the 39th day in NZ without any community transmission, 18th day without any new C-19 cases, We have no current cases, only 22 people have died and we went to Level 1 at midnight which means we have no social distancing and life returns to near normal as our boarders remain closed.

Advantages of living in the middle of nowhere!  :tease:

Online cosworth151

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2020, 03:00:30 PM »
Or maybe Hobbits have immunity.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2020, 06:02:06 PM »
It's reached the point where I had to buy new volumes for the Corona Journal because otherwise I'd have run out today.

COVID-19, go away please!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2020, 03:15:41 PM »
Take heart, Ali. Here's what we've been waiting for!   :yahoo:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.hamilton-back-at-the-wheel-at-silverstone-as-he-prepares-for-title-defence.208Ol5tzmhBLaORP9AhjWx.html

Well, at least it's something good.

We're thinking about having a party on July 1st to celebrate this awful year being half over.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Andy B

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2020, 11:03:20 PM »

Advantages of living in the middle of nowhere!  :tease:

It's actually Middle Earth not nowhere!  :D
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2020, 02:48:51 AM »
 :DD :DD :DD
Lonny

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2020, 02:17:53 PM »
Take heart, Ali. Here's what we've been waiting for!   :yahoo:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.hamilton-back-at-the-wheel-at-silverstone-as-he-prepares-for-title-defence.208Ol5tzmhBLaORP9AhjWx.html

Well, at least it's something good.

If he and Mercedes can keep safe, that's a good thing. I'm worried about the lack of social distancing I've been seeing at certain kart tracks where training has been happening, and I don't want anyone taken out of the 2020 title before it's even started by being forced to miss a round through quarantine...

Good news: I now have cloth face masks, which means I can train for the town half-marathon properly (which may still happen - decision on that likely not to be taken until August, reckon).

Bad news: All events prior to September in my hometown have been officially cancelled, as well as some during September. I'm due to go to two concerts in September, one of which has already been rescheduled due to COVID-19. Also, discipline has broken down so badly in the local supermarkets that I now have to do an 8-mile round trip if I want to safely purchase a foodstuff that isn't frozen or in the town organic food shop (e.g. bread or milk).

Sorry I'm struggling to stay bubbly and happy.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle