collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 341
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: FIA settlement with Ferrari  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Monty

FIA settlement with Ferrari
« on: March 05, 2020, 08:18:01 AM »
Toto Wolff brought the teams together to demand an explanation from the FIA over the Ferrari settlement while Red Bull’s Helmut Marko wants “$24 million” in compensation.

It seems typical that all of the non-Ferrari teams get together to challenge the ethics of FIA's ludicrous 'hush' settlement with Ferrari but Marko wades in with a compensation claim!

I think it is pretty obvious that Ferrari had found a 'cheat' that did not comply with the spirit of the rules but didn't actually break the regs (I understand that their fuel system could collect fuel upstream of the flow regulator and then dispense it when they needed extra power). As far as I am concerned it was clever but, when understood by the FIA, immediately banned.  The 'scandal' is how the FIA handled the situation afterwards. They are walking right back into the 'Ferrari International Assistance' tag all over again!

Online Dare

Re: FIA settlement with Ferrari
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 01:28:34 PM »
Is Red Bull going to want compensation
from Mercedes over their  moving steering
wheel too. Get over it.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 02:12:57 PM »
I reckon this is more about the FIA not being able to say quite how Ferrari have been managing get extra Fuel/Oil to burn without it registering on the metering system.

They know Ferrari have been up to something but any proof of wrongdoing has been elusive, they can't penalise them without being able to explain just what the wrongdoing is - hence the need to offer a confidential truce.

Basically they've agreed to take no action so long as Ferrari came clean about how they manage to do it. Now they understand how it's done they can ensure no one else is doing it, or can do it.

Really there's a reason on both sides to keep it quiet - Ferrari don't want to admit to any transgression and the FIA wants to prevent anyone else doing anything similar.

Obviously Ferrari have managed to keep this technical fix/code/innovation secret up to now - FIA wants to make sure it stays that way. 

The only way I can see to defuse the row, now brewing with all non Ferrari power teams, is for the FIA to admit that for once Ferrari boffins out foxed them, embarrassing as this may be.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 04:13:24 PM »
I read somewhere that Toto’s push on this is political and that he is planning on ousting Todt from the helm of the FIA and run for the the presidency himself (is Merc about to pull out of F1?).
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 06:31:25 PM »
I read somewhere that Toto’s push on this is political and that he is planning on ousting Todt from the helm of the FIA and run for the the presidency himself (is Merc about to pull out of F1?).

Can't see it myself as FIA presidency is an unpaid position and you can't have any other links to team ownerships or drivers. Toto has far too many irons in the fire to give up all his income streams from motorsport. 

I'm pretty sure if Merc want to pull out of running the team they'll hand it to Toto for a notional sum to reduce the close down & redundancy costs, similar to Honda handing the keys of the factory to Brawn.

Merc will be staying as power unit suppliers in any event as they have contracts with Racing point, Williams and a deal inked last year to supply Macca from 2021. I can't see them paying off all them as well. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle