collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 385
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bahrain GP  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Dare

Bahrain GP
« on: March 08, 2020, 12:21:54 PM »
no fans...the podium show should be exciting. Why
not just cancel it

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/148580/bahrain-gp-to-be-run-behind-closed-doors

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: Bahrain GP
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 03:24:55 PM »
I guess they're doing that with some soccer game, too. Not an ideal solution but better than no race at all, I guess.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 06:26:15 PM »
Maybe has to do with how many races have to be run to avoid breach of contract between Liberty and the teams, or the TV people? Alia would know, anyone heard from her?
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 10:58:23 PM »
Maybe Bahrain has better backing from the people
with money. I couldn't see this happening in Mexico or
Italy where I imagine ticket sales are important
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 02:49:54 AM »
Hockey is playing to empty arenas here, and all concerts larger than your local club gig have been cancelled.  Wouldn’t it be fun if the big bands started walking into stages in small clubs for a surprise?  I remember in the late 70’s - early 80’s, the Rolling Stones were practicing for an upcoming tour in a Toronto warehouse for a couple of weeks.  One night they showed up on stage at the El Mocombo, a local rock club in Toronto.  I wasn’t there for it, but would have been pretty wild.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 08:11:13 PM »
It reminds me of a decade or so ago, when Bernie was talking about holding races with only the super-rich welcome to attend.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 10:27:38 PM »
No ticket sales,parking fees,no concession money how
could they recover from a loss like that

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 02:11:34 AM »
I believe it's an OPEC nation, so I doubt if they worry about that. I expect it's underwritten by the regime.
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 02:35:19 AM »
I believe it's an OPEC nation, so I doubt if they worry about that. I expect it's underwritten by the regime.

Not Bahrain but the other races if it comes
to no fan races.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 02:05:24 PM »
If some of the big facilities can't afford to run a race without fans, maybe some smaller tracks that are equipped for F1, but don't have the capacity  for fans, can step up and run TV only races.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 02:41:29 PM »
That would be a great idea, but I'm afraid the logistics in moving the race on short notice might be too much.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 06:00:05 PM »
no fans...the podium show should be exciting. Why
not just cancel it

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/148580/bahrain-gp-to-be-run-behind-closed-doors

Perhaps they've finally read your post?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 08:44:09 PM »
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 10:36:07 AM »
Aaand because I've only just noticed the question (Alianora, pay more attention in future!):

The minimum number of races in a championship for it to be classed as a valid international FIA championship is 8. That's in the regulations. So from the FIA's perspective, F1 could start in Monza, not reschedule anything, and still be hunky-dory. Beyond that is a problem. Multiple races per venue is allowed, but only if the FIA agreed to that in advance. It shouldn't be an issue, considering the FIA and Liberty have full authority to sculpt the calendar without team interference. However, for reasons given below, just leaving it at 7 is not an option. It would lose the FIA calendar status, teams would not be paid (except for the CCB payments) and it would risk the series not being issued a licence for 2021. (If the FIA was annoyed enough, it could do what happened in 1953 and re-label F2 as F1, opening out the regulations as teams appeared ready. In the modern take, F3 would be relabelled F2, and F4 teams invited to join the new F3. Unless they thought Liberty was at fault, in which case they could refuse to issue any of F1-F3 licences until a more appropriate promoter was found). F1 would prefer not to go through this outcome.

The minimum number of F1 races Liberty needs to make its contracts is... ...different. Nobody's 100% confirmed it, but Dieter Rencken of RaceFans appears to have evidence indicating the TV broadcasters only have to pay Liberty if there are 15 rounds. It's not clear whether there can be two rounds at the same venue and still count (the answer may even be different for different broadcasters). If so, the season can start as late as Singapore and provided all but one of those places runs two races in each weekend, everything may also be fine from TV perspective. If it doesn't, there's a problem. TV is about half of Liberty's income from F1 (tracks are perhaps 40-45%, and the remainder is from F1TV and other in-house initiatives).

Venues pay no matter how many races there are, provided their venue is one of them and the venue's name is not Monaco*. However, they don't pay if it is cancelled by anyone other than themselves. While it should be hoped that an equitable pay system is in place, the Melbourne farce suggests it is not. Also, venues only pay single rate whether 1 race is held there per season, or 21. This is why repeat venues, and indeed multiple races per venue, is of limited help to Liberty.

The venue revenue stream and TV revenue stream are similarly important. Liberty's ideal is 1 venue per season, and as many venues as possible in a season. Interestingly, the time element is the least sensitive part for Liberty; any extra time it can get people to sign up for without missing any avoidable races (thus losing out on venue income) benefits the "miscellaneous" income because F1TV is monthly. The tension points for that are subscriber patience (the non-live bit generates some money, but not everyone will use it for the whole spring interregnum) and TV broadcaster credulity.

I would seriously consider putting in a "superseason". Not necessarily a full 18-month one like WEC did, but also not necessarily just 12 months. If the world opens up again at the end of June (which I think is the earliest everyone will get to do it, as opposed to just some people), I'd schedule like this:

July: Austria/Britain
August: Hungary/Canada or France (if Liberty must break the summer holiday)/Belgium
September: Italy/Russia
October: Japan/USA
November: Mexico/Brazil
December: Bahrain/Abu Dhabi (move slot by a fortnight)
January: Vietnam (or Vietnam/China if emergency slot needed)
February: China (or dates to move autumn "second wave" postponements to)
March: Australia/Bahrain
April: Vietnam/China
May: The Netherlands/Spain/Monaco

I would then have an abbreviated 2021 season, that was just the remaining rounds as per the original 2020 schedule. Baku would be the opening round and Abu Dhabi the season-ender. Two of Bahrain, China or Vietnam with the Japan and Abu Dhabi rounds (and both pairings are needed to hit the 15 required for TV).

If the definition of "season" does not allow for this, then simply doing a WEC-style superseason, with some events going twice, is perfectly fine.

* - This is part of the reason Monaco is cancelled instead of postponed. Liberty is required to attempt rescheduling rounds unless authorised not to do so by the promoter, otherwise it has to pay the costs the race has accumulated so far. If the promoter gives that authorisation, it must pay those costs, plus the hosting fee. Monaco pays no hosting fees, so the promoter's not going to be fussed about paying an extra £0 to cancel first.

The other part is that Monaco knew in advance that this was the only weekend of the year it could get planning permission to race (believe it or not, some people who live in Monaco object to the disruption even when it runs conventionally, even though it's been like that since before they were born/moved in). It's not like Azerbaijan, where there are a few candidate weekends that the government could use because it doesn't have to worry about "planning permission" in the same way. Once it was established the original date was a no-go for Monaco, delay could only lead to more set-up/take-down expense.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle