collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 508
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Aussie F1 race cancelled  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Andy B

Aussie F1 race cancelled
« on: March 12, 2020, 11:45:42 PM »
Just announced the race is off but with McLaren withdrawing and SV and KR on a flight home to continue would have been a farce.
The fans are still turning up but not being let into the circuit and the support race are still an unknown quantity and nobody knows what is happening this weekend let one this season.

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

Re: Aussie F1 race cancelled
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 12:30:07 PM »
Just reading a little about why there is so much confusion about what is or isn't cancelled.  The FIA says their hands are tied due to commercial agreements between all stakeholders.

The FIA's #1 mandate is safety.  If the buck doesn't stop with them in a situation like this, they need their charter (or whatever) revoked.

It's true, a single F1 race has a larger economic/logistics impact than just about any other single event in the world, so it's not a decision to be made lightly, but it must be made with leadership, not consensus.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 06:41:28 PM »
With all the high tech surrounding F1 you'd have thought all team personnel and drivers would have to be tested before they entered the circuit, or for real safety before they left their hotels for the track.

Maybe that's what happened, but from reports seems it's people reporting feeling unwell that led to them having tests. In Britain you can drive up to some hospitals and take a test without leaving your car so looks like someone's preparations have fallen down.

Funny thing is the risk to drivers being hurt in their race cars is way, way higher than anything the virus can throw at them so why are they so woosie about it?  :DntKnw:   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 08:09:51 PM »
I believe the only instant test is just taking your temperature to test for COVID-19 takes five days.

It was said by one journalist that the reason nobody wanted to be the first to declare the Aussie race cancelled was due to the financial implications of then becoming responsible for payouts of set contracts. I bet new contracts will have a clause on medical grounds in them!

It'll now become a merry-go-round as to how they fit all the postponed races in  that's assuming they can as some reports are saying that a vaccination will not be readily available till 2021. The company that gets to the market first will vaccinate 75% of the planet so a huge incentive to be first.

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 11:25:01 PM »
Only problem with the vaccine here is if our
great medical insurance will even pay for it.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 03:31:32 PM »

It was said by one journalist that the reason nobody wanted to be the first to declare the Aussie race cancelled was due to the financial implications of then becoming responsible for payouts of set contracts. I bet new contracts will have a clause on medical grounds in them!

Most contracts like that have what's called a "Force majeure" clause in them. It essentially frees both parties from liability or obligation when an extraordinary event or circumstance beyond the control of the parties, such as a war, strike, riot, crime, or an event described by the legal term act of God, prevents one or both parties from fulfilling their obligations under the contract.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 05:21:24 PM »

Most contracts like that have what's called a "Force majeure" clause in them. It essentially frees both parties from liability or obligation when an extraordinary event or circumstance beyond the control of the parties, such as a war, strike, riot, crime, or an event described by the legal term act of God, prevents one or both parties from fulfilling their obligations under the contract.

The difficulty with Force majeure in this case Cos is that the Australian government wasn't stopping it from going ahead, hard to argue it's public health risk in legalise.

In China the government cancelled it for public health reasons, the Aussies didn't do that, leaving any party who pulled the plug liable for the bills.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 05:56:57 PM »

The difficulty with Force majeure in this case Cos is that the Australian government wasn't stopping it from going ahead, hard to argue it's public health risk in legalise.

In China the government cancelled it for public health reasons, the Aussies didn't do that, leaving any party who pulled the plug liable for the bills.

WHO protocol required full-paddock self-isolation (due to mass mixing the previous day). Australia as a nation has been following those protocols. All FIA/Liberty's excuses mean is that the Victorian state government would be in the dock next to them if anyone felt like suing over this. Which I can see happening as full self-isolation doesn't seem to have kicked in yet, judging by paddock people's Instagram output...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 09:07:48 PM »
It seems that LH's comment of "Cash is King" was true as the reason for not pulling the plug earlier was nobody wanted to foot the bill.

Here in NZ the entry doors have been affectively closed as ANYONE arriving has to self isolate for 14 days which is a little puzzling as say you arrive in Auckland but live as I do in The Top of the South Island. Once disembarking into the terminal and going through customs and immigration you then have to transfer to the Domestic terminal (a 10 minute walk or short bus ride) from where you would board the flight to Nelson and again disembarking into the local terminal and only once home could you start "Self Isolation".
So to self isolate you could potentially come into contact with a huge number of people.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 09:15:22 PM »

So to self isolate you could potentially come into contact with a huge number of people.

Thought the joy of NZ was the low density of people Andy,  :tease:

there's about the same as Scotland, about 4.5million, isn't there?

Offline Andy B

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 11:35:44 PM »

Thought the joy of NZ was the low density of people Andy,  :tease:

there's about the same as Scotland, about 4.5million, isn't there?

We are pushing 5 mill with around 1.5 in Auckland and the South Island about a million so low numbers but that also means that a few people infected could cause major problems. We also have a very mobile workforce and there are still a large number of tourist here even though that is dropping daily with many tourist based companies going into financial problems.
So although we have just 6 confirmed cases an increase could be a significant issue.

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 12:02:00 PM »
My home county (Derbyshire) went from 3 confirmed cases to 7 over the course of Thursday (next update is 3 pm on Monday). The county website now instructs anyone self-isolating to do so for at least 7 days, even if the illness starts and finishes before that point:

Stay at home for 7 days if you have either:

a high temperature (37.8 degrees or higher)
    a new, continuous cough

Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.

You do not need to contact 111 to tell them you're staying at home.

You should remain at home until 7 days after your symptoms started. After 7 days, if you feel better, and no longer have a high temperature, you can return to your normal routine.

If after 7 days you are not showing any signs of improvement, and have not already sought medical advice, you should contact NHS 111.

A cough may persist for several weeks in some people, despite the coronavirus infection having cleared.

So looks like I'm in my house until Wednesday unless I still have symptoms after that point. (That's a relief because I am temping at the moment, and 7 days already means missing a quarter of the contract to illness without sick pay...)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 01:15:25 AM »
You have symptoms then Ali?

We have had a couple of backpacker arrive at Auckland airport and even though they were aware they had to isolate for 14 days they have arrogantly said that they are off to collect their camper van go touring.

We have also had an Aussie who had flown home from France and was tested due to showing symptoms but then flew to Wellington without waiting for the result and whilst sitting in a cafe received a text to say he was positive.

Currently we have just 8 confirmed cases but anyone entering the country has to isolate for 14 days, cruise ships are banned and container ships are allowed but the crew have to be declared healthy prior to docking and then restrict their contact with dock staff.

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 10:53:15 AM »
You have symptoms then Ali?

Yes. They came on quite quickly for me - started a shift on Wednesday at 3 pm, started getting symptoms around 6 pm, and the boss sent me home at 9:30 pm because I couldn't work any more (I'd been scheduled to finish half an hour later). Thankfully, my desk is well away from everyone else's at the moment due to shift structure issues.

In fact, initially the only COVID-19 symptom I didn't have was shortness of breath. If I'd had that, I'd have gone straight to the hospital, because that symptom can turn into bilateral interstital pneumonia (the thing that's causing the ICU admissions and ventilator shortages in pandemic hotspots) in less time than it takes to get results back from the original version of the COVID-19 test, and I'd rather be in hospital if my lungs are going to fail rather than home alone. (I also had neck pains, loss of concentration and shaking, none of which are common COVID-19 symptoms).

Thankfully, my condition has improved. I have a bit of neck pain (but not to a restrictive extent), a bit of tiredness (that I could probably work through if I went to work), some fever and occasional coughing, but it should be gone soon, and it's not looking like I'll need medical intervention. Nonetheless, despite my agency contact's replacement's wishes, I will not be returning to work until I have completely cleared my symptoms. Money can be earned again, but colleagues need to stay healthy! (Two of them were coughing on the day I fell ill mid-shift, so I suspect we'll all be able to swap self-isolation stories at that point).

We have had a couple of backpacker arrive at Auckland airport and even though they were aware they had to isolate for 14 days they have arrogantly said that they are off to collect their camper van go touring.

We have also had an Aussie who had flown home from France and was tested due to showing symptoms but then flew to Wellington without waiting for the result and whilst sitting in a cafe received a text to say he was positive.

Currently we have just 8 confirmed cases but anyone entering the country has to isolate for 14 days, cruise ships are banned and container ships are allowed but the crew have to be declared healthy prior to docking and then restrict their contact with dock staff.

I hate irresponsible travellers! This is part of the reason I'm angry with F1 - for not implementing quarantine properly. Good call by New Zealand for keeping things under relative control.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 06:13:59 AM »
It's good you are recovering Ali with by the sounds of it a bad cold.

NZ has this week forced backpackers into isolation and at the end of it if they do not leave they will be deported. A woman who when questioned at the airport stated that she would not be self isolating so she was put on the next flight back to where she had come from.

We now have 20 cases and all have come in from outside of NZ and cases transmitted within NZ so that is good but how long it will last is anyones guess.

Keep well everyone.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle