collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 372
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: legend Sir Stirling Moss has died  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Wizzo

legend Sir Stirling Moss has died
« on: April 12, 2020, 02:38:58 PM »
British motor racing legend Sir Stirling Moss has died at the age of 90 following a long illness.

He is widely regarded as one of the greatest Formula 1 drivers of all time, even though he did not win the World Championship.

Moss retired from public life in January 2018 because of ongoing health problems.

RIP Sir Stirling, I had the privilege of meeting you once.

Wizzo

"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: legend Sir Stirling Moss has died
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 02:54:01 PM »
R.I.P Stirling you were really one of the true greats in motor racing. Condolences to your wife and family.

I'm sure he'd agree 90 years is not a bad innings when you compare it to a lot of his contemporaries, who sadly passed away a lot younger racing the tracks of the world.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 04:33:22 PM »
R.I.P Sir Sterling, not only was he a superb driver he was also an absolute Gentleman. Condolences to his family and friends.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 10:32:39 PM »
He was a true sportsman. Most of you know the story of the 1958 Portuguese G.P. The stewards disqualified Mike Hawthorn. Sir Sterling defended Hawthorn's actions to the stewards & got his disqualification removed. The action cost Moss the 1958 WDC.

R.I.P., Sterling. You will always be a model of how sports should be.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 11:32:20 PM »
This is the book Stirling signed for me in 2011 after we  had a chat about GPWizard. It reads 'To Doug, all the best with GPWizard. Stirling Moss'

One of the greats. He will be sorely missed.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 11:35:29 PM by Wizzo »
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 04:41:48 AM »
One of the things that makes Formula One a unique sport is that the drivers must fight their way to the top.  Team sport players, they are spotted at an early age and put right into development programmes.  Individual sports players are also spotted early, and can step right into the major tournaments as soon as skill permits.

In car racing, a driver must work their way up.  Sure, there are opportunities for talented drivers, but the only way to get to the top is by winning at the lower levels.  Even then, winning is not enough.  Sponsors are required, so talent on track must be matched by the ability to be a decent human being off track.

As such, the people who reach the pinnacle of Formula One aren't simply talented human beings, but they must be good people in one way or another.

So to be known amongst the best of the best, to be a man who generations of top racers, top human beings, looked up to, it means that Sterling Moss  touched a lot of lives in a way that few other people could.  I feel blessed to be in a world that had a man of such magnitude, and saddens me to see his light fade from it.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 09:15:19 PM »
I consider myself fortunate that I was once able to see Sir Stirling Moss race live, in a support race for the 2002 British Grand Prix.

Dad and I were at Club, and a problem soon became apparent in the pre-1962 historic race. All the drivers were going round the modern Club corner, as you would expect a modern F1 driver to do. One, however, went down what appeared to be an escape road. Having studied my history, and noting the distinctive white cap that contrasted with the sea of helmets and ahistorical headgear on the other racers, I asked Dad, "Stirling's going round the classic Club corner, isn't he?"

Unsurprisingly, Stirling was soon in the lead. At the end of the second lap, flags were waved and all the drivers were brought into the pits. It turned out that Stirling was the only one who had paid attention in the drivers' briefing, and thus the only one doing the correct version of the track. After some quick reminders, the race was re-started. Guess who won anyway?

Rest in peace, champion.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 10:27:36 AM »
Just thought I'd share what most regard as Stirling's best, and possibly greatest ever, F1 race win.   

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 07:30:18 PM »
One of my all time favorite racing stories - Stirling Moss and the famous "Coke Bottle Incident" at the 1957 12 Hours of Sebring. Things were a lot more fun back then.  ;)

http://www.vintagemotorsport.com/2020/04/moss-coke-bottle-incident/
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 01:32:08 PM »
One of my all time favorite racing stories - Stirling Moss and the famous "Coke Bottle Incident" at the 1957 12 Hours of Sebring. Things were a lot more fun back then.  ;)

http://www.vintagemotorsport.com/2020/04/moss-coke-bottle-incident/

It sounds like product placement in a movie, not a real event!

As exciting as on track exploits are, what makes drivers truly memorable is their humanizing stories like this.  Alonso lounging on a folding chair instead of heading to the pits.  Kimi going for an ice cream instead of being angry at circumstances.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 07:34:11 PM »
I found this on YouTube - A very good 20 minute bio of Moss. I personally like the very last thing he says in it, something it seems he & I had in common in our racing days.  ;)

― Bob Dylan

Offline Willy

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 02:43:28 PM »
Sir Stirling Moss was a very talented driver and true competitor as well as a real gentleman. 

Offline rmassart

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 09:11:57 AM »
It reads 'To Doug, all the best with GPWizard. Stirling Moss'

I never realised this site was endorsed by Sir Stirling Moss!  :)  Makes me even more proud to be a part of this wonderful community you have built here!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle