collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 342
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Is Vettel leaving?  (Read 3505 times)

Online Dare

Is Vettel leaving?
« on: May 12, 2020, 02:36:46 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/vettel-leave-ferrari-end-media-000655665.html

Can't see Hamilton there. He'd want number one
status and Charles is the future

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Is Vettel leaving?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 12:18:40 PM »
Good luck to Seb in whatever he does next. I don't know how the replacing is going to work. There may be some opportunism from Ferrari involved.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 12:24:07 PM »
never liked Vettel but I actually feel sorry for him - I think Ferrari have treated him badly ever since Leclerc arrived. I would like to see Ricciardo go to Ferrari but he definitely will not be a number two to Leclerc  (the job will not be officially described as number 2 but that's what it will be). I think Sainz is the most likely replacement and perhaps Sainz and Vettel will be a straight swap?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 01:26:48 PM »
IMHO it's more about the lower money teams will now have in their pot to pay drivers salaries, this Covid-19 situation could force big changes.

I believe Vettel was trying for a 2 years or more deal and all that they would offer is a one year, and possibly an option dependant on results, at equal pay to Leclerc - a big pay drop for Seb.

We may see more disappointed drivers in this years pay negotiations round. I see Lewis having difficulty maintaining his enormous wages for future years.

My thinking is that Ferrari may well try to persuade the veteran Sergio Perez to see out his career in red, after all he racks up the points even if he's not always a king in quali. I'm sure both he and his backers would love him in a Ferrari and would be happy to add big dollars to the sponsorship pot. Charles would probably love the thought of a Michael/Rubens type partnership.  ;)   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 04:47:14 PM »
Ferrari has never been a friendly place for drivers. I've always had a soft spot for Seb. I hope he finds a good seat.

And I hope DannyRic gets the Ferrari seat!  :yahoo:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 09:32:47 PM »
never liked Vettel but I actually feel sorry for him - I think Ferrari have treated him badly ever since Leclerc arrived. I would like to see Ricciardo go to Ferrari but he definitely will not be a number two to Leclerc  (the job will not be officially described as number 2 but that's what it will be). I think Sainz is the most likely replacement and perhaps Sainz and Vettel will be a straight swap?

Ferrari has always been team before driver.  They've been very famous for that.  When Vettel refused to pull over for LeClerc, like a good teammate, that was the end of the relationship.

I know that F1 is very cutthroat (see Hamilton vs Rosberg), so I don't blame Vettel for trying to win at all costs, but I don't feel sorry for him.  He took a gamble, and it failed.

I don't envy anyone coming in to replace Vettel though.  They lucked out in LeClerc being a second year driver who can handle the pressure at Ferrari, but bringing in another inexperienced driver would be a big risk. However, being a veteran driver who will basically have to take second place to LeClerc?  That's going to be tough to swallow.  Who has the skills to bring Ferrari a championship, but the ego to be #2?  (Assuming Kimi isn't part of the equation)

Offline rmassart

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 07:06:15 AM »
Who has the skills to bring Ferrari a championship, but the ego to be #2?

I was just reading this and then you read my mind:

Assuming Kimi isn't part of the equation

I think Kimi wouldn't mind being number 2 at Ferrari, even to Leclerc. He's relaxed enough and wise enough to know his F1 days are coming to an end. But ending them in a Ferrari is surely better than doing so in an Alfa...  I think it would be great. He might even get another win out of it.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 07:55:29 AM »

status

Where does that come from Dare?
I have never read anything from anybody be it drivers or any team member that LH has required No 1 status it's my understanding that he wants to beat everyone on equal terms.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Online Dare

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 02:28:40 PM »

status

I have never read anything from anybody be it drivers or any team member that LH has required No 1 status it's my understanding that he wants to beat everyone on equal terms.

Because he's number one in the World. Why would
he want anything different. Seems like Rosberg and him
had a few issues
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 09:15:08 PM »

status

Certainly hard to say.  When Rosberg defeated Hamilton, the team was a steamroller, and it didn't really matter if they favoured either driver and, to Mercedes credit, I think they realized that having the WDC come to the final race was good for the sport, and probably would have put their thumbs on the scale to do so.  (I'm not accusing anyone of anything.  As far as I can tell, that season was run fair and square... but if it needed juicing Toto would have.)

The question is if Hamilton, as the new guy, would be able to outperform LeClerc at the team?  LeClerc already has his place and trust, and we know that make a few tenths difference.  Would Hamilton be okay taking a season to settle in?  I don't know.  I'd love to see it.  It would be interesting seeing Hamilton as 'the underdog' again.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 10:59:43 PM »
I'm maybe a rare breed in that I am a LH fan besides being a six time WC and being British he has always raced clean within the rules and to my knowledge no driver has accused him of wanting or getting preferential treatment which is different to team orders to attain a Championship.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 07:35:48 AM »
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 11:37:27 AM »
Race Fans expects Sainz will take the Ferrari seat while Ricciardo will take Sainz' seat at McLaren.

If that's the case they are definitely looking at a No 2.  :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:06:51 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2020, 12:53:35 PM »
So Sainz is going to Ferrari; Riciardo to McLaren; who to Renault?? Rumour says Alonso - I could see that as a real possibility but I can't see Renault helping him with his multi-series aspirations. Where will Vettel go - could he replace Bottas at Mercedes? It would seem strange to replace a good point scoring Bottas for an unpredictable (and I assume more expensive) Vettel but stranger things have happened. Or would Vettel go to the struggling Renault?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle