collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 517
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Pro Racers Not Allowed Into U.S.  (Read 2364 times)

Offline cosworth151

Pro Racers Not Allowed Into U.S.
« on: May 24, 2020, 03:49:37 PM »
The U.S. government has announced that they will give Covid quarantine exemptions to pro athletes in most major sports - except racing.

The Department of Homeland Security specified “Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association, the Women’s National Basketball Association, the Professional Golfers’ Association Tour, the Ladies Professional Golf Association Tour, the National Hockey League, the Association of Tennis Professionals, and the Women’s Tennis Association.”

Our National clown act continues.

https://racer.com/2020/05/23/racers-not-among-pro-athletes-granted-us-entry-restriction-exceptions/

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: Pro Racers Not Allowed Into U.S.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 04:03:52 PM »
This is the fundamental problem with motorsport in the USA:  there is literally no one looking out for the interests of drivers.  Owners and organizers exploit them mercilessly.  The other Major Leagues all have powerful unions who know who to call to get things done by the American Congress.  Most professional sports are organized, tennis, golf, they know how to get stuff done.

I'm sure that NASCAR can't be bothered to ask for special treatment, and what is Indy going to do when an American congressman says that American racing is already happening without foreign athletes?

Certainly the FIA can get involved if there's an effort to save the 2020 American Grand Prix, but I doubt they have.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 06:19:54 PM »

Don't feel too sorry for American racers Jeri, they can certainly earn a lot more than in almost any other series' in the world.  :-*
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 12:20:16 AM »

Don't feel too sorry for American racers Jeri, they can certainly earn a lot more than in almost any other series' in the world.  :-*

The winner of the Indy 500, arguably the best American racer, would earn approximately $2 million for their efforts.  The third string right fielder for the last place team in major league baseball will earn $560,000.  On one hand, these are apples to oranges comparisons, but the right fielder has full health care, a travel budget, probably not many sponsor obligations, and is very unlikely to be injured.

There is room for racers to be treated better.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 01:26:58 AM »
Nice comparison.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 02:29:08 PM »
Yeah nice comparison of Apples and Oranges Cos and I can't disagree with you.

Of course I meant other motor racing series in the world - just forgot to spell it out.  :-[

Is there really any other proper sport to us petrol heads  :P 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 06:27:12 PM »
Yeah nice comparison of Apples and Oranges Cos and I can't disagree with you.

Of course I meant other motor racing series in the world - just forgot to spell it out.  :-[

Is there really any other proper sport to us petrol heads  :P

I know what you mean, IndyCar may be a step down from F1,and probably NASCAR, but is clearly higher up the ladder than most other racing series, in terms of fame and fortune.

Racing below that level is basically an expensive hobby, and not a true sport.  If we want auto racing, at all levels, to be treated like a true sport, then the top level racers need to be treated like top level athletes.

That's when international racers will be allowed to enter the USA. 

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 07:38:16 PM »
That's odd, I thought Indycar got a separate announcement saying it was allowed to retrieve its two drivers that weren't on American soil when the restart schedule was announced. I was mistaken, and a senator from Indiana has formally requested exemption for motorsports competitors from abroad. The one good thing is that there is a workaround, and at least one of the two full-season drivers affected in Indycars is using it: stay in a non-blocked country for 2 weeks and then fly into the USA. (Multiple oval-only drivers have the same issue, and it's not clear how many plan to use the workaround).

NASCAR, I think, has gone its merry way without them, because it prioritised getting back running as fast as possible over all other considerations.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle