collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 375
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ferrari considering Indy  (Read 4254 times)

Online Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Ferrari considering Indy
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 02:57:36 AM »
Sounds like wishful thinking to me.
Lonny

Online Dare

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 03:05:23 AM »
Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

The chassis's is a major problem
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 06:55:51 AM »
Ferrari would have to run a spec chassis and spec aero, the only thing they could build would be the engine.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 01:03:34 PM »
Ferrari would have to run a spec chassis and spec aero, the only thing they could build would be the engine.

They'd have to make the engine available to some other teams as well I believe under present rules.

However Roger Penske, now head of Indy may well feel it's worth altering rules to have Ferrari race at the brickyard.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 01:51:11 PM »
If Ferrari is looking to re-allocate their money into other racing efforts, I'm pretty sure their slashed budget would be able to fund entry into every series in the world.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 03:27:18 AM »
I did the Pinewood Derby about 60 years ago!!   8)
Lonny

Online cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 02:14:51 PM »
I don't think the current rules in IndyCar would be to Ferrari's taste, either. However, one can never tell what Darth Penske will do. I think Ferrari might put any excess money into their sports/endurance racing efforts first.

I did Pinewood Derby, Lonnie. It was in the Cub Scouts back in the early 1960's.  :good:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 04:31:22 PM »

They'd have to make the engine available to some other teams as well I believe under present rules.

Given that Ferrari is doing this to redeploy staff, needing to set some to creating customer supply is probably not an issue, the way it usually would be.

I think Ferrari might put any excess money into their sports/endurance racing efforts first.

The impression I get is that there may well be enough need to transfer people that both projects (LMDh and Indycars) end up happening. However, the lead time for sportscars would be a year longer, to provide time to design the chassis. (Indycars, being spec, does not have the same problem).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 06:53:41 PM »
Just for grins, here's Ferrari's last Indy car, a modified F1 that was unsuccessful. 1 of 3 cars qualified and that one DNFed.

https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/img/Ferrari-375-Indy-90419.html
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 02:12:43 PM »
Just for grins, here's Ferrari's last Indy car, a modified F1 that was unsuccessful. 1 of 3 cars qualified and that one DNFed.

Given how long Ferrari has claimed the 'American Market' is important to them, I wonder why they haven't made efforts for IndyCar (or even NASCAR). 

I suspect that part of their 'heritage bonus' includes not running other open wheel series.

Offline jimclark

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 10:34:48 AM »
'Bet it ain't happenin'. Looks like a repeat of 35 years ago. Just a bargaining tool for the budget cap. 'Could be wrong if the rules change, but as is, I would bet on their not coming over here.

Their providing engines first would have to be approved. You don't just walk in and say "Here we are, another engine provider." And would they be happy with the "spec/kit car" chassis (DW12)? I don't think so.

At least this time they could've just bought a DW12 Chevy/Honda right off the shelf. Then sold it to some other team after the bargaining was (I know, now is) done. ('Could've gotten a good price for it too from a collector having been a "Ferrari" car that never ran... :yahoo:)
Yup, would have beaten all that trouble to produce another useless Indy car like the 637

"The Ferrari 637 was a Ferrari racing car designed to run in the American CART series. It was designed by Gustav Brunner and, although tested and unveiled to the press in 1986, it never raced."
https://www.carscoops.com/2017/05/remember-that-time-ferrari-made-indycar/
(CarsScoops neglects to mention Ferrari's earlier forays in 1952, 54, and 56-58.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:49:24 AM by jimclark »
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

Offline jimclark

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 11:07:52 AM »
Just for grins, here's Ferrari's last Indy car,
Not so. Try 1986. See my post above. (I hadn't gotten to your post yet) :)
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 06:58:53 PM »
True, but mine was the last one to actually run at Indy.   :P ;)
Lonny

Online Dare

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 09:38:16 PM »
Mclaren raced with Alonso in a spec car why
couldn't Ferrari do the same.......for Vettel as
he'll have the May of 21 off

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle