collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 520
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Trans Am Returns to Riverside International Raceway  (Read 2225 times)

Offline cosworth151

Trans Am Returns to Riverside International Raceway
« on: May 28, 2020, 04:07:45 PM »
The Trans Am Series will return to the legendary Riverside International Raceway on Saturday, May 30th! Well, sorta.....

Like many series, the Trans Am is holding esports races. In a stroke of genius, they will hold their next race at Riverside. The great track was destroyed after the 1989 season to make way for a soon defunct shopping mall. In its time, it was home to everything from drag racing & NASCAR to Can Am & F1.

https://racer.com/2020/05/26/riverside-raceway-resurrected-for-next-trans-am-esports-round/

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Trans Am Returns to Riverside International Raceway
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 07:31:36 PM »
Saw several races at Riverside, a Can-Am during the 5 liter, ground effects era, the IMSA 6 hour, and an AMA bike race. Kenny Roberts won 750cc GP and Cook Neilson won Superbike on a Ducati, about the only bike that didn't wobble coming off a corner. The AMA didn't care where you watched from as long as you weren't right on the track, so we went right out to the Armco. I could almost read Roberts' instruments as he went by. When he wasn't on track his 750cc Yamaha stood in front of his garage with no one around it except one mechanic against the back wall in a lawn chair. Imagine F1 or IndyCar leaving a top level car virtually unattended.
 During the Can-Am I was shocked to discover the body side fins that supported the wing were made of that super exotic material...marine plywood. I was also shocked at how high they revved those small block Chevvies. When they first came out to practice I kept waiting for them to shift and they would just go a couple thousand RPM higher.
 The 6 hour featured a fascinating duel between a Porsche 935 and a Lola T600. The Porsche was an absolute rocket down the long, long straight, but the ground effects Lola was much quicker through the corners, particularly from turn 1 through the esses and up to turn 5. Every time the Lola had to get by he was forced to pass the 935 several times, gaining just a little ground overall with each pass until he could finally make it stick. Then he would pit and the whole process would start again.
 I really miss Riverside.
Lonny

Offline jimclark

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 03:18:33 PM »
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 06:54:53 PM »
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 02:51:48 PM »
Riverside was a fairly new facility at the time. The garages were not up to F1 requirements. So, like many F1 venues of the day, the teams used garages in town & drove the cars to the track on public highways. Here are John Surtees driving his Lotus Climax 18 down University Avenue & Maurice Trintignant southbound on Interstate 15 in his Cooper Maserati T51. That had to have been so much fun!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 06:46:45 PM »
Maurice actually looks like he's on CA 60, the Riverside Fwy., which ran right along the north edge of the track. Great pictures. My Dad had a wagon just like the one in the Surtees picture.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 03:15:43 PM »
I wondered about that. I went with the info that came with the pix, but I didn't think that I-15 had made it out that far by 1960.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle