collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 404
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Austrian G.P.  (Read 2224 times)

Offline cosworth151

Austrian G.P.
« on: July 06, 2020, 01:41:55 PM »
It was a very good race at a time when we all really needed one! How many people would have picked Lando Norris for a podium finish?

The biggest surprise to me was the high number of DNF's. 7 DNF's, very few of them due to shunts. I picked 6 for the Grid Game and thought it was probably too high.

I can't wait for this weekend! (And don't forget the Chat Room!)

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: Austrian G.P.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 06:27:23 PM »
It was a surprising number of DNF, we've gotten used to 'bullet proof' reliability from F1 cars.

I do feel bad for Albon though. He's quickly becoming my favourite driver in F1.  He's got to learn how to time his risks better, and I think learn how other drivers drive and develop that professional trust that makes the best passes truly spectacular.  Considering he's 1 race into his second season, tangling with 6 time champions is a pretty good place to be.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 09:04:01 PM »
I think the FIA made Ferrari change something in their engines. They were very lucky to get second and both of the customer teams were right at the back. Every Ferrari powered team was slower than their 2019 times. I would guess Honda is #2 behind Merc for power now. Merc seems to have a big edge in qually, but less in the race. After Merc and R/b, the field was pretty tight.
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 11:11:23 PM »
It was a very good race at a time when we all really needed one! How many people would have picked Lando Norris for a podium finish?

The biggest surprise to me was the high number of DNF's. 7 DNF's, very few of them due to shunts. I picked 6 for the Grid Game and thought it was probably too high.

I had 9 dnf's. So did F1.com
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 01:36:43 PM »
Oops! Sorry about the typo.  :confused:

I also forgot that I have an Amvets District meeting this Sunday in Hillsboro. That's about a 2 hour drive & it starts at noon. I'll have to leave about 45 minutes into the race.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 10:14:08 PM »

I had 9 dnf's. So did F1.com

That grey area where Albon and Kvyat finished 'enough' of the race, even though they Did Not Finish.  They show up in the official driver standings, but the other 7 do not.

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 10:14:24 AM »
I have to say I was really disappointed with Red Bull. Talk about sour grapes. First, on Friday, they are the only team to challenge the Mercedes DAS (over-ruled). Then, on Saturday, they are the only team to attempt to get Hamilton dropped down the grid for not slowing after the Yellows caused by Bottas (video evidence shows there were yellows and a green in his view - over-ruled); then, just before the race, they are the only team to take new video evidence to the stewards that suggest Hamilton 'may' have seen the yellows before the green and successfully get him dropped down the grid. Then during the race Hamilton and Albon come together in a way that was nowhere near as bad as when Verstappen forced Leclerc off the track but Hamilton gets penalised! Of course the biggest issue is that they should never have been close because Hamilton was 12seconds up the road before the second completely artificial full course caution.
Even though I was desperate to finally watch F1, this was a race that suggested we are going to face another controversial year. I would have been happy to watch the two Mercedes 'race' (but Mercedes didn't allow this); and then to watch the really exciting 'second race' back in the pack but the safety car sessions ruined everything.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 11:11:02 AM »
It's going to be an interesting year, though I worry about how stratified the grid will be once the one-offs that occurred here are straightened out. Haas can't have on-track brake failures every race, for example...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 02:30:35 PM »
Then during the race Hamilton and Albon come together in a way that was nowhere near as bad as when Verstappen forced Leclerc off the track but Hamilton gets penalised!

I suspect the reason Hamilton got a penalty was to give future incidents, likely caused by Max, the same sort of penalty.  Having that call go in Red Bull's favour is likely to burn them later this season.

(All the same, I feel bad for Albon, even if he was being optimistic.  It looked like Lewis was already on steering lock, there was literally nothing he could do at that point, and Albon should have been aware of that)

Offline Willy

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 08:12:07 PM »
It is a great track and I enjoyed watching the race. I very much like the elevation changes as it adds another element to the race.
It was interesting to see totally empty stands and a very bizarre podium event on-track after the race.
I get it, no sense using the overhead podium location when there are no fans to watch from below.
As this was effectively the 1st race of the season it was no surprise there were quite a few DNF's as no team has had a chance to fire up in anger for that long an event since last race in Abu Dhabi last season.
Norris on the podium was nice for him but it was really anything he did, it was mostly attrition.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 09:25:34 PM »
Norris ran pretty strong all day. If the Red Bulls had stayed in, he would not have been on the podium, but he put in a stellar last lap to be within the 5 seconds of Hamilton's penalty. Le Clerc would not have been on the podium without the attrition and yellows either. Ferrari is in real trouble.
Lonny

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 02:48:13 AM »
Just thought I would throw this in here. Used to be a more challenging track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NStIXNn3SK0&feature=youtu.be
Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 08:43:23 AM »
(All the same, I feel bad for Albon, even if he was being optimistic.  It looked like Lewis was already on steering lock, there was literally nothing he could do at that point, and Albon should have been aware of that)
I agree with everything you say Jeri - I really felt sorry for Albon but this really was a 50/50. He took a chance which left him in a vulnerable position and Hamilton's car drifted out to where any car in that corner would drift. If they had hit sidewall to sidewall, Albon may have got away with it. What actually happened is his car (which had slightly more forward momentum) hit Hamilton's. Albon could have avoided the accident by easing off the throttle or drifting slightly off-track. Hamilton could only avoid the accident by putting more right lock on which may have still had no effect; or worse, he could have spun. Anybody could see this - it is fact determined by physics. How can they justify penalising either driver?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 11:31:07 AM »
The stewarding was subpar all weekend. For example, why did they make a call on the Hamilton qualifying incident when they knew they were missing the necessary camera view to make the judgment?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle