collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 514
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Would Ferrari be missed?  (Read 3065 times)

Offline Andy B

Would Ferrari be missed?
« on: July 14, 2020, 05:40:55 AM »
During the Sky F1 Show MB said this is what it would be like without Ferrari and he seemed to think they would be missed but they were never mentioned after that and I for one never thought "I wish the Ferrari's were here". It was a good race with interesting things going on to not miss a team that thinks it should have more say and money than the others.

Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Would Ferrari be missed?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 07:54:39 AM »
Agreed. Ferrari would be missed, but racing would go on.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 12:44:33 PM »
I'm sure too Ferrari would be missed if they left completely.
For a start Haas would probably pack their bags and Sauber might find it hard to keep going.

Not noticing the reds missing later in the race only reinforces the old adage 'love the ones your with'.
We never really missed other team wipe-outs whether Merc, Red Bull, Ligier, et al much after the on track incidents.
We obviously noticed the Prost/Senna Macca incidents more because they influenced the championships.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 01:26:28 PM »
I have never understood the concept that F1 must have Ferrari in it. Any team would be missed but not especially Ferrari. When I was young I thought F1 was Lotus - they went, came back and went again and I am still watching!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 02:07:31 PM »
Every team that goes is missed. And without Ferrari, Haas could not exist and Alfa Romeo would lose its backing (therefore find it difficult to continue existing, considering there's already two teams on the market... ...before the recession gets going).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline rmassart

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 06:41:30 AM »
I've never been a team person in F1. But maybe that's just me. I miss drivers and especially their relationships, but not teams. As for Ferrari, I always thought if you weren't Italian it was a duty to dislike them!  :D

Offline Andy B

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 08:05:31 AM »
All good comments and I am also not a Ferrari fan but that does not mean I don't like them I do not like the preferential treatment they think they should have as all teams should be equal.
Like Monty I too was a Lotus fan, the original ones, I even visited the factory the week after Senna died and met a young Alex Zanardi who was team mate to Johny Herbert and saw Pedro Lamy's damaged car.
When Lotus dropped out of F1 I thought it was terrible and wondered how F1 could carry on without a team with such a history but continue it did and it was not long before they were forgotten and I don't think it would be any different for Ferrari although the engine supply would be an issue but not unsolvable.
Any how it's all hypothetical so just something else to chat about.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 09:19:58 AM »
I was and am a Jim Clark fan, which sort of made me a de facto Lotus fan. But Lotus kept reinventing the F1 car and my affection for them as a team grew. After the Type 79 they kind of lost their way, then they lost Chapman and it seemed almost inevitable that they would leave F1. I mourned them but kept watching F1. Ferrari would take a lot of history with them if they left but F1 would continue. I still honestly think Ferrari needs F1 more than F1 needs Ferrari. With the WEC nearly defunct and Indy Car running spec chassis where would they race?
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 03:24:07 PM »
Most sports have their dedicated fans, who enjoy the sport for itself, and then they have more casual fans who happen to watch and enjoy it, or are drawn in by a famous name.

Ferrari is the famous name that draws casual fans to F1.  Outside of my 'car' friends, Red Bull is a vodka mixer, Mercedes is a car that dicks drive and Williams is a tennis player, but they all know Ferrari means racing.

Having Alfa Romeo and Aston Martin back as brands helps. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 06:23:39 PM »
Ferrari is the famous name that draws casual fans to F1.  Outside of my 'car' friends, Red Bull is a vodka mixer, Mercedes is a car that dicks drive and Williams is a tennis player, but they all know Ferrari means racing.

:DD :DD Exactly.  I would miss Ferrari.  They can be annoying with their strategy and pit calls, but they have a lot more soul than a team like Mercedes or even Red Bull - which has always perplexed me because if Red Bull ran their F1 team like they run a dozen other teams and athletes, then they would lose all the pettiness that seems to come with Dr Marko and by association, Mr Horner.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 09:58:45 PM »
Some of the great drivers ot id'ed with Ferrari.
I'd miss them.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 10:52:23 AM »
I'd miss them.

Having trouble with predictive text Dare,  ;)
- or you been guzzling Woodford Reserve again?   :tease:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 08:12:44 PM »
 :DD :DD :DD
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 09:54:19 PM »
I'd miss them.

Having trouble with predictive text Dare,  ;)
- or you been guzzling Woodford Reserve again?   :tease:

And they told me another drink wouldn't hurt
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 05:43:30 PM »
Ferrari have always been the most entertaining team. Like everything Italian they are unpredictable and full of enthusiasm. If the drivers are not doing goofy things, the strategists and pit people are. Their car designs are hit & miss, sometimes great and sometimes hopeless. They always attract the best drivers which adds to the exotic flavor.
Ferrari, please don't go... 
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle