collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 367
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: McLaren back in iconic Gulf colours for Silverstone  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Monty

McLaren back in iconic Gulf colours for Silverstone
« on: July 28, 2020, 01:08:36 PM »
Gulf and McLaren are partners again! It will be great to see the Gulf colours back on the Grand Prix scene.

Offline Jericoke

Re: McLaren back in iconic Gulf colours for Silverstone
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 02:28:02 PM »
I had no idea that Gulf was owned by an Indian conglomerate.

I do like to see larger companies getting involved in F1 though.  Makes me feel like the sport is 'secure'.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 02:31:26 PM »
I didn't know that either, Jeri. I just know that I haven't seen a Gulf station around these parts in a long, long time.

The sports car version has to be the most iconic paint scheme in racing, even more than Ferrari red.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 09:25:23 AM »
From what I know of the Gulf Oil history it is a sad story of 'how the mighty fall'.
Gulf was really successful because it developed oil fields in Kuwait almost on its own. In its 60's and 70's  heyday it was synonymous with motor sport and aviation. The problem was that the Kuwait Government had share options that they exercised in the late 1970's leaving Gulf with next to nothing.
A mixture of bad decisions and some dodgy dealings from major executives further weakened the brand until they decided they needed to make a big acquisition to grow market share. They went head to head with T. Boone Pickens to acquire Citgo. The fight increased the share price of Citgo massively and when Gulf finally won the battle they realised that the couldn't afford the acquisition and reneged on the buyout deal. This damaged the brand and resulted in many years of lawsuits.
I think various steps were taken to refinance. I know Shell had control of Gulf for some time and Total also had ownership of the brand. After a torrid few years there were two 'Brand Owners'.
Gulf Oil International owns the rights to the Gulf brand outside the United States and it is this business that is now owned by the Hinduja Group of India.
Gulf Oil Limited Partnership based in Framingham, Massachusetts owns the rights in the USA and I think they are all about sales of oil based products rather than production.
I took interest when Gulf Oil International started to provide 'Gulf' sponsorship of some European motor sport teams and particularly the Aprilia MotoGP Racing Team in 2019.
It is definitely not Gulf Oil Limited Partnership providing sponsorship for McLaren because pictures of the McLaren F1 car are all over the Gulf Oil International Corporate web site.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:43:25 AM by monty »

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 07:39:42 PM »
My family owned a Gulf service station. When Gulf was absorbed into Petro Canada in the 80s*, the station stopped selling gasoline, and is now a mechanic's shop run by a cousin of mine.

(*Petro Canada was absorbed by Sunoco in the 2010s.  Sunoco operates under the Petro Canada brand name)

Offline Willy

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 07:13:45 PM »
Petro Canada also swallowed up Pacific 66 when they arrived on scene. It stated as a totally Canadian Govt venture and p*ssed off many of the large oil companies as they all felt the government had no business being in business.
For many years the two Petro Canada Oil towers were the tallest structures in Calgary, just to remind everyone who had the deepest pockets.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle