collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 372
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Planned protest at British GP  (Read 3957 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Planned protest at British GP
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 01:07:30 PM »
My businesses (the 2 businesses that I manage) employ a total of 140people in two different regions. About 12% of my staff are employed at UK Living Wage. I have no problem in getting candidates for these jobs when they are available and we have never applied a 'filtering' system. One region has more ethnic diversity than the other but from the applicants over recent years we have employed white British, Eastern European, South Asian, African, Thai and Philippino. We have never had a single 'black' candidate even though there is a significant proportion of one local population that is black. I have no idea why that is.
From these candidates several of all of the groups listed have have been promoted such that we have senior operational roles and middle management positions filled by an Indian, a HK Chinese, two white South African, a Thai and a Pole. I am sure we are not unique. What has always been evident is that some people just do not want to work. I have had a number of candidates (all groupings) that have come for interview and actually say that they have only come because the benefits office told them to!
Even though I fully accept there is still a minority of stupid racists; to some degree everyone influences their own future and I do not accept skin colour automatically holds anyone back.

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: Planned protest at British GP
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 09:40:27 AM »
It's quite a problem (aside from the part where in my area of the UK, permission to have a second job is itself considered a privilege - one that none of my employers have ever afforded me, but at least two did afford to other people - so Lewis' upbringing already manages to send out mixed messages on the topic).

Just to pick you up on that point Alia, employers cannot as a matter of course prevent you from doing other jobs unless they can show your performance whilst working for them is, or is likely to be detrimentally effected or it may harm your main employers business - eg. you use sensitive knowledge gained to benefit a competitor.

I'm sorry to say I've never encountered an employer who hasn't prevented me employees from doing other jobs, and that all but 2 of them also prevented all other employees from doing so. And no, in my experience, lawyers don't accept these cases because they're too expensive for the expected return. What the law says isn't always what happens in practise. (If it was, racism and several other -isms would be far less of an issue in employment than they actually are).

I'm glad monty recruits people fairly (and more research into how different ethnic groups get employment would be welcome, to help conscientious employers like you get access to the full range of talent). I just wish employers in my travel-to-work area behaved likewise.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle