collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 390
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 fuel flow & party mode tricks not enough, now FIA gunning for ERS misuse  (Read 2196 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Holy Cow! This season is in danger of being remembered more for FIA engine regs crackdowns than even the covid-19 shortened programme. :swoon: 

Where will it all end? - Not with some engine builders pulling out, surely???  :DntKnw: 

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ers-storm-brewing/

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

They will manage to scare off 1 or more manufacturers yet.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

If the FIA wants to be serious about pushing their 'green' agenda, then they should take the shackles off the non ICE half of the 'propulsion units'.  Let the teams/suppliers actually innovate in hybrid technology.  F1 is famous for being a lab for getting technology trickledown, so let's get some real technology innovation in there.

If the electrical power unit is unlimited, how long before an F1 car dumps the ICE as dead weight?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S

If the electrical power unit is unlimited, how long before an F1 car dumps the ICE as dead weight?

Jeri you really need to be careful what you wish for, it's bad enough the FIA trying to turn F1 into a spec series but you're advocating F1E which is even worse!   :crazy: :nono: :stop: 

If an alternative for ICE is sought it should be Hydrogen IMHO.

Offline Jericoke

Jeri you really need to be careful what you wish for, it's bad enough the FIA trying to turn F1 into a spec series but you're advocating F1E which is even worse!   :crazy: :nono: :stop: 

If F1 limits itself to combustion engines, it will become a curiosity of the past like horse racing.  The sport is supposed to be famous for pushing racing forward, not holding it back.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S

If F1 limits itself to combustion engines, it will become a curiosity of the past like horse racing.  The sport is supposed to be famous for pushing racing forward, not holding it back.

If F1 goes all electric it'll be like dog racing, not thoroughbred horse racing - which is still alive and well in large parts of the world.  :P

There's so many questions that remain unanswered about mass production & use of electric vehicles I feel it's a false dawn.

Not least is the question of taxation in European countries in particular. It's so easy and lucrative to tax oil based fuels heavily at point of sale.

How they gonna replace all the lost billions/trillions in revenue when electric cars are often subsidised already to get them on the road, and you can't sort domestic consumption from vehicle charging in homes to tax vehicle use?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 06:19:37 PM by John S »

Offline lkjohnson1950

Meh. They'll just tax all your electric use.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

I agree with you about the hydrogen, John. Far more practical than battery electrics.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

I agree with you about the hydrogen, John. Far more practical than battery electrics.

So really open the sport up,would have to have electric vs ICE vs hydrogen vs hamster wheel!

Offline cosworth151

I find the idea of a horsepower limit very strange for any kind of auto racing, especially F1. Could you imagine such a limit on the ICE? They limit certain design perimeters like displacement, forced induction maximums and such. Then it's up to the engine builders to get the best results. I'm sure similar design limits could be drawn up for the electrical side.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

I am still convinced battery EV's are not the future. Batteries are incredibly 'dirty'; the necessary raw materials would be quickly exhausted if all vehicles in the World used batteries and the charging infrastructure is impossible unless someone can change the laws of physics and finds a method of fast charging batteries without cables and without damaging the batteries.
Hydrogen fuel cells must be at least part of the answer and there are already methods of producing Hydrogen sustainably.
However, none of this provides a 'happy' picture for motor racing. For dinosaurs like me, even the modern F1 car has lost a lot of appeal due to lack of noise. I get bored watching Formula E on TV but thought that it I witnessed it 'live' it might be better. I tried; it wasn't! I really cannot explain why it seemed so awful. I have to admit, there was overtaking; and the strategy of when to take Powerboost must be challenging. But the nonsense gimmicks like 'Fan Boost' (which seems to be the same drivers every race irrespective of how they have done during the meeting); the battery saving (which is almost identical for every car so is even more annoying than tyre saving); the ridiculous mickey mouse tracks all adds up to removing any excitement.
On a different subject altogether, I went drag racing last year and watched a stripped-out light weight Tesla beating supercharged V8's. Then disaster - the final was two Teslas. I wanted to cry as they whined their way up the strip. I want my motor racing to shake the floor, assault my sense of smell and leave my ears ringing!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle