collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 363
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

Ross Brawn has once again raised the plan to trial reverse grids but do you want further falsification of race results?

A great idea.
I'm not bothered one way or another.
I'm not keen but if that's what they do.
No no no its a bad idea and not real racing.

Author Topic: Reverse grids? Is that what you want??  (Read 3641 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Reverse grids? Is that what you want??
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2020, 09:40:55 AM »
If enthusiasts like us can't agree - it shows how difficult solving the current problems with F1 will be.
It is a fact that F1 has become boring because
  • there are at least 3 classes in each race - Mercedes; mid pack and Haas/Williams
  • normal overtaking is almost impossible
  • the only overtaking needs DRS which is a gimmick
  • the race result depends on tyre saving and pit stop strategy which is also a gimmick

Although I would really love F1 to be exciting due toe all of the cars being equally matched and the skill of the drivers resulting in lots of overtaking and close wheel to wheel racing, but personally I do not think this is possible in the modern aero age. Therefore, I would accept some minor changes to add some spice. My favourite racing series is British Touring Cars which is now very formulaic :- an off-the-shelf TOCA engine or restrictions to ensure other engines produce almost identical power; success ballast (relative to championship position and per race result) and a reverse grid on the third race. Then at every meeting there are three really exciting races which are all 'wheel to wheel' with lots of overtaking and no certainty of who will win until they pass the chequered flag. It is a level of 'racing' that F1 can only dream about! 

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 01:25:55 AM »
If enthusiasts like us can't agree - it shows how difficult solving the current problems with F1 will be.
It is a fact that F1 has become boring because
  • there are at least 3 classes in each race - Mercedes; mid pack and Haas/Williams
  • normal overtaking is almost impossible
  • the only overtaking needs DRS which is a gimmick
  • the race result depends on tyre saving and pit stop strategy which is also a gimmick

Although I would really love F1 to be exciting due toe all of the cars being equally matched and the skill of the drivers resulting in lots of overtaking and close wheel to wheel racing, but personally I do not think this is possible in the modern aero age. Therefore, I would accept some minor changes to add some spice. My favourite racing series is British Touring Cars which is now very formulaic :- an off-the-shelf TOCA engine or restrictions to ensure other engines produce almost identical power; success ballast (relative to championship position and per race result) and a reverse grid on the third race. Then at every meeting there are three really exciting races which are all 'wheel to wheel' with lots of overtaking and no certainty of who will win until they pass the chequered flag. It is a level of 'racing' that F1 can only dream about!

I think it's fair to say we've had more than our fair share of 'exciting' races this year, under the current rule set.

I don't really disagree with your points, but not matter what rules you choose, there will be dull races and exciting races. 

I like DRS, I don't think it's interesting for faster cars to be trapped behind slower cars because passing is difficult due to aerodynamic wake.  I'd rather drivers pass 'the old fashioned way', like any other fan, but they aren't old fashioned cars, so those passes aren't happening.  Until they design the cars in a way that a trailing car isn't punished for trying to pass, DRS is the only solution.  There is plenty of 'chess match' getting cars into DRS position, or defending to ensure a DRS pass won't happen.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 01:31:01 PM »
I think this season's above-average races are a testimony to what F1 can be on top rank circuits. I believe that the races on circuits like Sochi, Bahrain & Abu Dhabi will be the  back to "the same old same old" processional races we've come to expect.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline jimclark

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2020, 06:40:22 AM »
Sound familiar: "believes would reduce F1 to a “show” similar to WWE." and " “It’s just artificial and trying to create a show which I think it’s not what Formula 1 stands for."?
https://www.crash.net/f1/feature/944998/1/why-drivers-are-against-manipulating-f1-artificial-reversegrid-races
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

Offline jimclark

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 06:56:09 AM »
And.......
“For us Formula 1 should be a championship, and always has been, where everyone is working within the same regulations and the best team with the best car with the best driver is in the end at the at the front in qualifying. And, if everything goes well on Sunday, also at the front and wins the race."
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/945083/1/mclaren-against-artificial-randomness-f1-reversegrid-proposal
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle