collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 371
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Mclaren Indycar interested in Perez  (Read 2450 times)

Online Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Mclaren Indycar interested in Perez
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 12:27:36 AM »
Moving to Indy Car is kind of lose/lose. If he does really well F1 people say "See, we told you Indy drivers are no good". If he doesn't do well they say "See, told you Perez wasn't that good". That said, I would also love to see him here.
Lonny

Offline jimclark

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 02:04:11 AM »
'Just tryin' to go with that logic....  :confused:
If that's the case, no one should ever attempt IndyCar?
'Same situation for anybody, no?...."See, we told you you can/can't drive better than the rest?". 
If it's all lose/lose, how does anyone win then? Why bother...??? :DntKnw:

:)
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 05:57:18 AM »
As far as being a front rank F1 driver, coming to Indy would not impress the Powers That Be in F1. They have little regard for Indy Car or its drivers. If he decides to do it he better be prepared to finish his career here. It won't matter to F1 if he does well or poorly.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 08:36:49 AM »
I would prefer Perez stay in F1.  Even if he moves to somewhere like Haas (and only signs a one year contract), he could still impress enough to be offered a better drive in ‘22.  If I was Toto, I’d throw Bottas into reserve driver and put Perez alongside Lewis.  But Toto doesn’t have much imagination.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 10:00:51 AM »
I would prefer Perez stay in F1.  Even if he moves to somewhere like Haas (and only signs a one year contract), he could still impress enough to be offered a better drive in ‘22.  If I was Toto, I’d throw Bottas into reserve driver and put Perez alongside Lewis.  But Toto doesn’t have much imagination.

Really....Really!  :o 

You'd swap a proven race winner and a big points scorer, ensuring you win the constructors easily, for a maybe man.   :swoon:
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 01:54:40 PM »
'Same situation for anybody, no?...."See, we told you you can/can't drive better than the rest?". 
If it's all lose/lose, how does anyone win then? Why bother...??? :DntKnw:

Villeneuve was only reluctantly given a chance with Williams due to the Senna circumstances, which opened the door for Montoya and Zanardi.  As an IndyCar fan, I was excited to see their drivers going to F1, and disappointed it didn't work out for Zanardi.

I'm not an insider, but I get the feeling that once you've decided to be an open wheel racer, you're either looking at ovals/IndyCar or Formula racing.  Formula Racers do well at IndyCar's road courses, but oval racing really is a different skill set.

Europeans have historically seen the American series as a 'lesser' series.  (A world championship vs a local championship, don't you know) so when Mansell or Andretti dominate the Americans, of course they are, they can do it in their sleep.  And if they don't dominate, clearly they're on the downslope of their career. 

I think that Brown and Haas (and maybe Stroll) might be more open minded about drivers from IndyCar though.

I think the 'lose/lose' applies to anyone seeing IndyCar as a path BACK to F1.  The door might still be open for IndyCar stars to head to F1 (although plenty of F2 drivers to pick from), but I don't know that going from F1 to winning in IndyCar will help (I mean, has anyone even suggested Sato make an F1 comeback?)

Offline jimclark

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 05:45:05 PM »
Understood. I just didn't pick up on lk referencing IndyCar as a stopgap return to F1. My mistake. It would be a way to kill next year as I presume it's a little late for F1 next year.
Either way, what will be will be.
Now, to deal with you....  >:D :P
".....so when Mansell or Andretti dominate the Americans....."
Your reference "Mansell and Andretti"......I presume you're talking about Mario, not Michael, but, his notoriety was from Indy car racing (USAC at the time) in the first place. It was his ticket to F1.....'toes wet with Lotus, '68, pole/dnf at Watkins Glen (yes, I know, Monza first, but he didn't start the race).....as was Michael's (CART) half arsed effort, for that matter.

"As an IndyCar fan, I was excited to see their drivers going to F1, and disappointed it didn't work out for Zanardi."
Also, Zanardi started in F1, then to CART, F1, CART again. He never drove in IndyCar. ;)

Lastly, I'm American and I don't give much (any, actually) credence to the crappy kit/spec car series of IndyCar. :sick: (may as well call it "Open Wheel IROC" without the "champions"...)
CART was the end of good, real, Indy car racing. Hopefully, Rogere will fix this but I'm not counting my chickens......

jimclark

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 07:15:34 PM »
 :o Oh, oh. I fear you may have awakened the Cossiebeast.
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 03:45:15 AM »
Understood. I just didn't pick up on lk referencing IndyCar as a stopgap return to F1. My mistake. It would be a way to kill next year as I presume it's a little late for F1 next year.
Either way, what will be will be.
Now, to deal with you....  >:D :P
".....so when Mansell or Andretti dominate the Americans....."
Your reference "Mansell and Andretti"......I presume you're talking about Mario, not Michael, but, his notoriety was from Indy car racing (USAC at the time) in the first place. It was his ticket to F1.....'toes wet with Lotus, '68, pole/dnf at Watkins Glen (yes, I know, Monza first, but he didn't start the race).....as was Michael's (CART) half arsed effort, for that matter.

"As an IndyCar fan, I was excited to see their drivers going to F1, and disappointed it didn't work out for Zanardi."
Also, Zanardi started in F1, then to CART, F1, CART again. He never drove in IndyCar. ;)

Lastly, I'm American and I don't give much (any, actually) credence to the crappy kit/spec car series of IndyCar. :sick: (may as well call it "Open Wheel IROC" without the "champions"...)
CART was the end of good, real, Indy car racing. Hopefully, Rogere will fix this but I'm not counting my chickens......

I'm a bad racing fan, I thought that Mario did NASCAR, then F1 then IndyCar.  (I use IndyCar as a blanket term for top level American open wheel racing, whether USAC, IRL, CART or IndyCar. Personally was on the CART side of the open wheel war, but that's probably because CART believed in Canada where IRL did not)  However my point stands, once he went BACK to Indycar he was a top driver, but no chance of returning to F1.

And yes, I did mean Mario, not Michael.  I applaud Michael for valuing his family over racing, but F1 really does need that 100% commitment.

Of course, Mario Andretti is a bad example.  He's an outlier in the history of motorsports, a true racer who found top level success wherever he went.  We can argue about the best F1 driver of all time, but drivers like Schumacher and Hamilton pale to racers like Fangio, McLaren and Andretti.  It's no wonder that Alonso tried to join the legends.  Also opens up the question, why Vettel is clinging to F1 instead of broadening into 'racer'.  He could win the 500, or LeMans (or even Daytona; I think Vettel has the right attitude for fender to fender racing).

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 04:51:05 AM »
Andretti started racing either in Formula Junior in Italy or in Street Stocks on a dirt oval in Pennsylvania. His bio says Italy, but he recently hinted that that was a story he and Aldo made up to get licenses to race in Street Stock.  :DntKnw:  He hit the big time with USAC Sprint Cars, followed by what were at the time called Champ Cars, today's Indy Cars. He won the WDC, 3 USAC Indy Car titles, 1 CART Indy Car title, and a USAC Sprint Car title. He won Indy, Daytona, and Pikes Peak among others. He had one 2nd and one 3rd at Le Mans. He won major races on Paved Ovals, road courses, and dirt ovals in four seasons. He won races in 5 decades including Indy Car in 4 decades. He is the oldest winner ever in Indy Car being 53 at the time of his last win in Phoenix. A bit surprisingly, he is the last American to have won in F1. A pretty much legendary career.
Lonny

Offline jimclark

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 03:33:35 PM »
However my point stands, once he went BACK to Indycar he was a top driver, but no chance of returning to F1.

Au contraire, mon ami.......

Mario's first "stint" in F1, after USAC, was in 1971 & 72 with Ferrari.
He abandoned F1 for '73 and most of  '74 (back to USAC),
then returned to F1 in late '74. He continued thru '81, highlighted, of course, by his championship in '78. 
Back to Indy cars (CART now; NO wins) and a few F1s in '82.
THEN full commitment to CART in '83 until "retiring". ;)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 03:43:45 PM by jimclark »

jimclark

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 09:12:54 AM »

People should go to Indycar if they plan to make a career there, or in American racing series in general (and, of course, if they're willing to do things the Indycar way). It's only F1 that's snot-nosed about it.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle