collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 360
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Tuscan GP  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Ian

Tuscan GP
« on: September 13, 2020, 09:39:01 PM »
Plenty of action, good on Albon, lovely overtake on the outside, three safety cars eh.

An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Dare

Re: Tuscan GP
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 11:51:37 PM »
3 radio race quotes

Mr Stroll     that's coming out of your allowance

Lance          sorry  Daddy

Sergio        I now believe in Karma

Maybe I made up a little bit
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 01:55:17 AM »
I never caught what happened on the rolling restart. I kept hearing drivers complain about "someone" slowing down, but never heard a name.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 07:11:13 AM »
No one slowed down, Bottas never accelerated. Hoping to keep Lewis from getting by, he waited until he was almost to the line before going. One of the back markers saw green on the lights and took off coming off the turn. Just ran right into the back of the pack.
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 09:00:43 AM »
I was bored and frustrated through that race, and kept getting weird looks from Mum because of it (she'd believed the radio which said it was an interesting race).

DRS was way too powerful, meaning there was not point trying to defend into Turn 1. This also meant that apart from damaged cars and Russell's draggy Williams, everyone was in engine manufacturer order - and that was obvious from about lap 4.

Furthermore, marshals were pointlessly endangered by being left out on track for multiple laps when it was obvious a red flag would be needed for the barrier damage - it felt like the powers-that-be were scared of the possibility of anyone getting a free pit stop, when they should have accepted it. Especially when it turned out the cause was a puncture (meaning that until analysis was completed, anyone else could have been carrying damaged tyres and swapping them would have been wise from a safety perspective). The "free tyre change" rule exists for good safety reasons, so endangering people to try to avoid people doing the safe thing makes me feel bad.

The incompetence on display from much of the field was ridiculous. I could just about understand the first pile-up, but that restart? You're supposed to pay attention to the cars ahead before deciding what speed to do, not try to slalom through on two wheels like you're a movie spy. (Don't expect Antonio Giovanazzi to be the next Bond, for example). Saying one cannot blame 12 drivers because all 12 drove badly is not an acceptable response. All 12 should have been given an official reprimand.

(Some people did slow down, in the midfield. Basically, they tried guessing when Valtteri would go, and when they discovered they were wrong, slammed on the brakes. That is why the first few cars didn't get involved - they were close enough to see for themselves what was going on, or were sensible enough to not play guessing games).

Finally, COVID protocols were being ignored left and right. I saw at least two mechanics who weren't wearing their masks over their noses while sitting with their fellows, the driver masks seem to be falling off more when talking every week, and social distancing was forgotten by paddock staff and spectators alike. If I was running F1, after that performance, I'd be banning spectators for the rest of the seaon, and issuing a lot of reprimands to the paddock.

The only things that made the race worthwhile for me were seeing Charles trying to fight fate before the inevitable-due-to-DRS swallowing up by the field, and Lewis' T-shirt.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 09:02:31 AM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 09:20:52 AM »
It is sad when commentators are saying 'crashes have made the race interesting'!

I liked the circuit - old school; fast and challenging. I agree that DRS was too strong. I think it could have been improved by just shortening the DRS zones. I actually think that if the race had gone to the finish before the last red flag stoppage it could have been exciting; Riciardo is amazing on 'dead' tyres; Russell looked good for some points; even the Mercedes looked to be 'tyre challenged'. However, the last red flag just left a boring sprint to the finish. I still think red flags should immediately put cars into Parc Ferme rules!

Max showing he still needs to grow up following his potty mouthed rant and complaining that all of his problems were due to the Honda engine - Albon did OK with the same package!

Offline rmassart

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 10:28:44 AM »
I still think red flags should immediately put cars into Parc Ferme rules!

I agree.  The cars should simply restart exactly as they were when the race was stopped. Any changes should then be made in open racing and if a car needs fixing before the start it should start from the pit lane as would be the case in the initial start I think.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 01:11:48 AM »
I still think red flags should immediately put cars into Parc Ferme rules!

I agree.  The cars should simply restart exactly as they were when the race was stopped. Any changes should then be made in open racing and if a car needs fixing before the start it should start from the pit lane as would be the case in the initial start I think.

The red flags are there for safety, not to 'game the system'.  If your strategy relies on red flags, you're going to find yourself banned from F1 very quickly.  I don't have a problem with fixing cars and changing tires during a red flag.  I'd allow adjustments too.  If a car is running great, you're probably not going to mess with it, but if things are going poorly, why not give the slower cars a chance?

If you're worried about cars being repaired under red flags, how about being worried why we've had three red flags in two races.  F1 is right to issue all three of those red flags, but how about creating situations where those red flags aren't going to happen? Tires that are designed to wear out, carbon fibre debris that can destroy tires without warning, suspension systems that are on the very edge of stress tolerance where one bad weld/bolt/casting can throw a young man into a wall?  Young drivers desperate to prove themselves, since contracts appear to be worthless.  Passing opportunities so rare that gambling on a restart makes more sense than actually driving faster than your competitor.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 04:32:53 AM »
Very good points. They will certainly need to address the rolling restart rules.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 01:39:43 PM »
I'm in favor of allowing replacement of damaged parts during a red flag period. It's far better than ending up with only a hand full of competitors finishing a race.

I would agree with a rule that only allowed replacement with "like" parts. Let them get the cars back into the race but don't let them gain advantage though use an improved part to replace a damaged one.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Andy B

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 10:20:33 PM »
Changing tyres under a red flag gave some a 24 second advantage so unless they have a puncture it shouldn't happen and only repairs that are safety issues by having an anything goes attitude its as bad as reverse grids in falsifying races.

The best part of the whole weekend was hearing the V10 in the F2004 screaming around the track. Glorious so bring them  back!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline rmassart

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 06:46:58 AM »
Let them fix whatever they want, but by doing so they go from the pit lane, like at the start of the race as far as I understand.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 12:37:46 PM »
Changing tyres under a red flag gave some a 24 second advantage so unless they have a puncture it shouldn't happen and only repairs that are safety issues by having an anything goes attitude its as bad as reverse grids in falsifying races.

The best part of the whole weekend was hearing the V10 in the F2004 screaming around the track. Glorious so bring them  back!

But surely its no worse than a front runner, or anyone else, stopping for tyres and then finding a safety car out a lap later and competitors get a free stop and emerge still ahead. Luck of the draw really some you win some you lose.

Just seems worse to some drivers as they can spend the extra time under red flag ruminating on it before they get back into the fray.   
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 03:31:05 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 01:26:35 PM »
Let them fix whatever they want, but by doing so they go from the pit lane, like at the start of the race as far as I understand.

Anything other than tyres has that consequence. Tyres don't because of the issues with proving a tyre is unsafe to race on (given that the threshold for being a standard start tyre is above the threshold for doing multiple laps of regular running) and the likelihood of teams sending drivers to the start on dangerous tyres through attempting to avoid the penalty otherwise.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Willy

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 06:26:18 PM »
My take on the amount of Safety Car incidents.
This is mostly a test track that at most has one car on track at a time so the runoff gravel areas are not a concern as they can easily rescue a beached car without worrying about other cars running into the workers.
Once you put 21 cars on track and one hits the gravel and beaches itself, then you have a problem.
Most other tracks have cement, grass or asphalt runoff areas that do nothing to a car other then slow it down and ruin a lap.
That is how it appeared to me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle