collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 102
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Russia 2020 - Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 4487 times)

Offline rmassart

Re: Russia 2020 - Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2020, 08:48:20 AM »
I find the reason for these practice starts annoying. Does everything really have to be fine tuned like this? Surely these drivers are good enough to make decent start without fine tuning electronics?
Short answer.....absolutely.
Agreed. The drivers are good enough so I'm rather annoyed by the need for practice and setting everything else up (suspension geometry, spring rates, shock valving, aero, engine mapping, etc. etc. etc.), right? I mean, in actuality, they get many laps of driving but only (usually that is) one shot at a start, so if anything, that should be the focus, correct? :P

:D

I get your point, but I draw the line at mechanical adjustments made physically in the pits vs electronics and software adjustments.  I know the line doesn't really exist anymore with fly-by-wire tech, but still up until the 21st Century(?) drivers managed to make perfectly good starts without electronics.  Do the cars really need to have so much tech in them, that electronics need to be adjusted for the start? At some point I might as well just watch eSports racing. Since we're not allowed to be in the stands anymore and we're anyway watching it on TV most of the time, what's the difference?  This is the argument of my kids, who see no difference between watching the Premier League on TV and watching someone play FIFA 21 on YouTube (I exaggerate, but it is definitely going in this direction).

And if the argument is to stop drivers messing up their start and have someone crash into the back, we might as have rolling starts, and ban overtaking... and corners. Drivers make mistakes, it's why we have crashes. Most crashes at the start are not because of someone standing still on the grid, I don't remember the last time this happened (I know someone with a better memory than me will say it was last weekend or something :) )

Offline Monty

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 09:57:33 AM »
So good to see Riciardo doing well - I hope his jump to McLaren isn't premature??
I cannot agree with giving Bottas hero status - he performed poorly in Quali and then lucked-in to a win.
I can't stand Verstapen be he actually drove well in a car that clearly wasn't as quick as others around him.
Now the controversy - Hamilton was clearly a hero. What a drive! Considering he started on the 'wrong tyres' and had to deal with unjust penalties, he did an amazing job.
He transgressed the sporting code (directed by his team) therefore he should have had a penalty applied; one penalty! It wasn't dangerous so there should never have been any consideration of putting points on his super licence. Oh, and then the little matter of leaking the situation to the press!! The stewards seem to go out of their way to appear to have bias against Hamilton and then wonder 'why all the bad press'!!!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 03:50:36 PM by monty »

Offline Andy B

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2020, 09:36:07 PM »
Well put Monty I have to add that when LH retires there is nobody to replace him but then I said that about MS too!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 01:25:27 PM »
F1 prides itself on being the pinnacle of high tech (even though any kind of innovation is swiftly quashed.) At least it's not the full-on launch control of the early 2000's F1 without high tech is called IndyCar.  ;)

These tuning adjustment days aren't anything new. The Friday before the Indy 500 was always Carburetion Day. Even though it's been over half a century since any Indy car had a carburetor, Carb Day is still part of the 500 schedule every year. It's sponsored and features a large concert.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2020, 10:29:20 AM »
Fine tuning starts Ali is surely part of all drivers skill set and if the only time they get to do it is at the start then more errors will ensue and you might say that'll spice things up but as we have seen in the past when a driver drops back into the pack at the start it all gets a little too exciting.

This is an example of "attitudes changed over the decades". As the question of start preparedness became less of a safety issue and more of an entertainment one, people switched from thinking of officially-sanctioned start preparation as essential, to tolerating it, to being against it.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle