collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 360
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2020 Portuguese Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Jericoke

2020 Portuguese Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes
« on: October 25, 2020, 04:11:09 PM »
Heroes

Lewis Hamilton.  Has the ability to be the best when he needs to be the best.  No one lucks into 92 wins.  He had a tough start to the race, but he kept his head, and built up the biggest win margin of the season.

Sergio Perez.  Leading lights out to chequered flag is special, but a recovery drive from last to a points finish is very exciting, and true test of driving skill.

Ferrari.  A double points finish might be a low bar for a storied race team, but they've been pushing to improve the car, and it's working.  One of the things I love best about F1 is that it really is  a TEAM sport, and Ferrari is working as a team to get better.

Zeroes

Stroll.  Maybe missing a race took his edge off, or maybe he feels he needs to prove something, but he's had a bad weekend when it comes to playing well with others.  Causing crashes in practise and the race isn't going to do much for a reputation.

Beyond that, I think most drivers did what was expected of them.  It's a new track with a slick surface.  It was great watching everyone learn, which drivers/teams had early advantages, and which ones could adapt over the race.  It has been an extra bonus of 2020, having several 'new' races like this.

Offline Dare

Re: 2020 Portuguese Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 04:21:26 PM »
Stroll proving why Perez should have been retained.
Kimi showing he can still dice it up on occasion
Leclerc proving why Ferrari made the right move.

With these you know who's going towin races would spec be that
bad? The teams with the money would still have the edge
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 09:13:13 PM »
Hero: the circuit. I really liked the undulating circuit. Especially the dip at the end of the main straight. It meant you never quite knew if the overtake worked as the cars disappeared from the view of the camera looking down the straight!  :D

Offline jimclark

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 04:42:24 AM »
bad? The teams with the money would still have the edge.
Yes, spec would be that bad. You make my point for me.
The teams with the money would still have the edge (just look at IndyCar) and it would always be the same car winning as opposed to the chance of some variety.  (again, just look at IndyCar)

How exciting is that?
If it is to you, then why not just follow IndyCar? Your spec racing already exists there......  :DntKnw:
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 10:09:07 AM »
Heroes:

Lewis Hamilton: A great example of why Lewis is now the most victorious F1 driver ever. Never seriously looked like losing that race, wise to the ways of the tyres and his challengers, excellent control of his car despite cramp. Congratulations Lewis!

Sergio Perez: Was last by 12 seconds at one point. Still managed to get 5th. Without the accident (of which he was innocent despite Channel 4's claims that the video evidence they showed did not support), he would have been on the podium.

Pierre Gasly: Clearly had lots of fun out there on track. The verve and energy paid off with a good result.

Honourable mentions: Kimi Raikkonen and Charles Leclerc. Kimi's start was absolutely fantastic, and Charles did a very good job of the second phase of the race.

Villains

The FIA: For not censuring Max for the slurs he used (see entry below), for appointing an openly bigoted race steward (who isn't named here for compassionate reasons - I realise that's a strange sentence to type...) and not doing a proper drain cover check prior to the weekend starting (I seriously doubt 3 drains at the same corner collapsed from deterioration - not even downforce pulling up the covers, which would have been understandable - between FP1 and FP3 - luckily only one drain damaged a car...) We clearly do not race as one, and the FIA apparently doesn't care for its safety duties either.

Max Verstappen: I have seriously fallen out with Max. Calling Lance three different disablist slurs (one of which is also a racial slur) after a crash in second practise went way over the line. Hitting Sergio and pretending it was Checo's fault would have been more forgiveable had I not been given the impression he decided to act as if he'd encountered Lance again.

The Portimão organisers: No detectable social distancing in the stands. I can see this being a super-spreader event...

Dishonourable mentions:
Lance Stroll: two silly and needless crashes (one in FP2, the other in the race), both of which were his fault, as well as lots of track limits violations. A very messy return.

DRS. Way too powerful here, and for me spoiled the race.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Monty

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 11:53:28 AM »
I think most things have been said.
Hamilton was amazing.
Max caused an accident; got away with it and then still bad mouthed everyone else!
Perez drove so well you have to wonder where he could have got to if he hadn't been 'taken out'.
George Russell drove brilliantly and really deserved some points
The track was great but the DRS zone should have been at least 100m shorter!
Stroll continues to fuel the argument that he is only there because it is Daddy's team!
Then the big question - are Vettel and Albon bad drivers or (for different reasons) are their cars just not as competitive as their team mates?

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 12:04:21 PM »
The teams with the money would still have the edge (just look at IndyCar) and it would always be the same car winning as opposed to the chance of some variety.  (again, just look at IndyCar)

How exciting is that?
If it is to you, then why not just follow IndyCar? Your spec racing already exists there......  :DntKnw:

That's a plan. No GG to worry about just watch a race
whenever I want
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 02:25:38 PM »
The history of F1 has had many eras where one team dominated. The last 20 years have seen the Ferrari-Schumacher (5 WDC in 5 years), Red Bull-Vettel (4 WDC in 4 years) & Mercedes-Hamilton (5 WDC in 6 years) eras. The one off year in the Hamilton streak was his loss to his Mercedes team mate Nico Rosberg.

Money will always win out in the long run. There are a few things that would help tremendously. A widely available, reasonably priced, competitive engine would be at the top of the list. I give the Ford-Cosworth DFV of the late 60's - 70's as an example. Many F1 teams, including McLaren & Williams, moved to the front of the pack with the DFV.

I've been on GP Wizard for almost 15 year. Dare, you've always done a great job as an administrator here. I guess sometimes we kind of that your efforts granted. Thank you for all of the work you put into GPW to make it possible for all of us to gather here. I'm proud to call you my friend.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 03:05:03 PM »

How exciting is that?

That's a plan. No GG to worry about just watch a race
whenever I want

Hey Dare what pills you on?  :confused: 

The GG is one of the things that keep you, and most of us, ahead of premature senile dementia.  :tease:

The Italian GP this year is an example of why F1 still holds the possibility of giant killing even in the usually well ranked team hierarchy. This is the sort of race we need more of but Portugal, for all its scenic and blue sky driver views, is not the track to offer it.

To me Portimoa is just boring Barcelona with more undulations but fewer overtaking opportunities. I counted only 2 proper overtakes not under DRS in the whole race.
Still enjoyed it though as had to find out how bad I'd bombed in GG.  :swoon:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 03:19:56 PM »
The history of F1 has had many eras where one team dominated. The last 20 years have seen the Ferrari-Schumacher (5 WDC in 5 years), Red Bull-Vettel (4 WDC in 4 years) & Mercedes-Hamilton (5 WDC in 6 years) eras. The one off year in the Hamilton streak was his loss to his Mercedes team mate Nico Rosberg.

Money will always win out in the long run. There are a few things that would help tremendously. A widely available, reasonably priced, competitive engine would be at the top of the list. I give the Ford-Cosworth DFV of the late 60's - 70's as an example. Many F1 teams, including McLaren & Williams, moved to the front of the pack with the DFV.

I've been on GP Wizard for almost 15 year. Dare, you've always done a great job as an administrator here. I guess sometimes we kind of that your efforts granted. Thank you for all of the work you put into GPW to make it possible for all of us to gather here. I'm proud to call you my friend.

DFV era is as close to spec racing as F1 ever was.  I would love to see an engine supplier happy to supply the entire grid with the top engine.  However, I would prefer to see several engine manufacturers pushing each other.

Alas, we're saddled with three unequal suppliers crying poverty, and a fourth departing due to the lack of meaningful innovation.  It's frustrating when a good car/driver is stuck with the wrong engine, and there's nothing to be done about it.

The FIA is in the hard place of satisfying fans who want big loud engines, and manufacturers who who want lean efficient power units.  I really think that if serious racing has a future, it's going to be quiet.  Loud racing will become a niche, unless they add artificial noise (which is consumer car relevant!)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 07:51:47 PM »
These are some of the cars from the 1973 F1 season. The height of the DFV era. 12 different marques, 24 different models. Do they look like spec racers? I think the only time that various F1 cars looked less similar was during the front-to-rear engine changeover during the late 50's-early 60's.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 09:07:14 PM »
At least in Spec racing one driver doesn't win 9 of
12 races and his teammate 2 and one other driver
luck into a win.....well actually 3 Hamilton should have
won them all. I guess we can expect more of the same next year.

Offline Willy

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2020, 08:13:55 PM »
The track.
I loved this undulating circuit and the hills on either side of start/finish are fabulous. This should on the calendar.
Lewis.
92 wins are nothing to sniff at. Any time Schumacher's name gets erased is okay with me.
Perez.
Well done Chico!
Kimi.
He still has it and can dice with the young bucks.

Max.
Showing once again that he is a dick.
Stroll.
It should be Chico next year, not Lance. But alas...daddy's boy.

Offline jimclark

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 12:57:06 AM »
These are some of the cars from the 1973 F1 season. The height of the DFV era. 12 different marques, 24 different models. Do they look like spec racers? I think the only time that various F1 cars looked less similar was during the front-to-rear engine changeover during the late 50's-early 60's.
:good:  :good:  :good:

:)
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle