collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 354
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2020 Eifel Grand Prix - Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 4449 times)

Offline jimclark

Re: 2020 Eifel Grand Prix - Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2020, 06:32:10 AM »
Is a reasonable expectation for it to be fighting for that last point (in which case Leclerc's definitely punching above its weight?) Is it reasonable to expect top 8s on a typical day (in which case Vettel's seriously underdriving it?) Or is it somewhere in between, in which case the "configured to dominant driver" becomes a reasonable hypothesis?

As stated previously, I don't believe in "punching above a cars weight". There is no BoPing in F1 so every car is in the same "weight" class. The 17 times a Ferrari has finished (of a possible 22) this year, they have been in the points 11 times; in the top 8 eight times. Make what you will of those figures.  :confused:  :D
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 12:47:17 PM »
Is a reasonable expectation for it to be fighting for that last point (in which case Leclerc's definitely punching above its weight?) Is it reasonable to expect top 8s on a typical day (in which case Vettel's seriously underdriving it?) Or is it somewhere in between, in which case the "configured to dominant driver" becomes a reasonable hypothesis?

As stated previously, I don't believe in "punching above a cars weight". There is no BoPing in F1 so every car is in the same "weight" class. The 17 times a Ferrari has finished (of a possible 22) this year, they have been in the points 11 times; in the top 8 eight times. Make what you will of those figures.  :confused:  :D

So if I've got this right you believe Charles is a better driver than Seb, at this point in time at least, since both cars are equal.  Assuming they have no malfunctions.

Now is this because Seb has passed his best and Charles is in the golden zone of his prowess, or is it perhaps because this car suits young Leclerc's driving style better than Vettel's? Whether this is by design or chance surely is irrelevant its driver performance we're discussing not teams or engineers.

For my part I'd argue that the greatest drivers are always able to either adjust their driving style, or car set up, to cope with inherent design deficiencies and simply drive round the problems to match or stay in front of team mates. This being so I'm inclined to say what I've believed for years, Seb is really a one trick pony, when a car is in the sweet spot for him he can drive it like a rocket ship but when either the car or racing goes against him he invariably makes a dogs dinner of it. Although he's got 4 WDCs they all came when the car truly suited him or was built around him.

Makes me fearful for Aston Martin team next year if the car don't suit the old boy, and even more fearful for Ferrari if they can't build a car that can exploit a 4 times champ's speed how they gonna win again? - Unless of course Charles really is one of the gifted ones, I guess we'll have to wait and see.   

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline jimclark

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2020, 03:38:45 AM »
I guess we'll have to wait and see.

That is, as they say, the bottom line;)

And is the suspense that has kept me watching the real racing (:good:) of F1 as opposed to the concocted "shows" of most other pro "racing" of late.  :sick:
Boring to so many, but true competition to determine the very best. I love it.  :'( (<tears of joy btw :D)

jimclark

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 10:28:18 AM »

Only a spec series can have all cars the same weight. F1 is not a spec series, so by definition cars must be different weights.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 01:26:11 PM »
"Punching above there weight" is kind of sports slang for over achieving. It refers to boxers who punch as powerfully as boxers in higher weight classes.  :D
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline jimclark

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 02:42:49 AM »
Only a spec series can have all cars the same weight. F1 is not a spec series, so by definition cars must be different weights.
Negative.
As '151 stated, F1 is an example of a "weight" class in auto racing. F2 would be another "weight" class.
And no, all F1 cars don't have to be different weights. They all must, however, abide by the same minimum weight regulation.

For the life of me I can't remember what year and who it was; but an example of a driver "punching above their weight" was at Nürburgring ('60s iirc, back when F2 was allowed to run with the F1 to expand the field at the 14 mile circuit) when qualifying their F2 car well up amongst the F1 cars. Quite the feat it was...... ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 02:52:10 AM by jimclark »

jimclark

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2020, 10:24:46 AM »
"Punching above there weight" is kind of sports slang for over achieving. It refers to boxers who punch as powerfully as boxers in higher weight classes.  :D

Which in F1 is imposed by incoming finances (for constructors) and quality of the car (for drivers).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle