collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 393
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Honda abandoning ship!  (Read 6261 times)

Offline Warmwater

Re: Honda abandoning ship!
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2020, 10:03:32 PM »
Trying to keep on the subject, I own a 15 year old Honda Accord and have had a couple of Honda touring motorcycles, All completely trouble-free, so I trust them to make whatever this new thing they are working on to be very good. It is too bad that their participation in Formula 1 is being sacrificed for it, but they probably realize that the I.C.E. is a dinosaur, and hybrids are even worse. Formula 1 could either die or amalgamate with Formula E.

As far as using public transit exclusively is concerned, buses and light rail never go right to where you want to go. For example, a few years ago in Canada, I had to find a new way to get to work (a VW bug forcefully removed a front wheel of my Oldsmobile). It was just under 3 miles (4.5 km) from my apartment to my office on the other side of downtown, in my car it took about 20 minutes. The first day I took a taxi, and being rush hour with fresh snow, it took 40 minutes after I phoned before he arrived. So it took an hour overall, and the fare was $20.00 including his tip. The return home was about the same. For the next few days I took a bus in order to save money. This meant standing at a bus stop in the cold for 20 minutes, when the bus arrived it was packed full, standing room only, not a comfortable ride. It took a zig zag route, stopping nearly every block, and I had to change buses for the last part. Then I had to walk the last quarter mile. It was a 5.5 mile (8 km) route and took 3 hours, but it was cheap. Walking or bicycling would be faster, but the slippery conditions were not good for that.

If more people used taxis, self-driven cars, or Uber, it would not reduce traffic congestion because the same number of people would still be on the road.

Maybe Honda will come up with a Hydrogen Fuel Cell Bicycle...?
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline jimclark

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2020, 06:42:06 AM »
Maybe they'll go all the way.....personal jet packs.....forget about wheels. |-(  :DD
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

Offline Monty

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2020, 02:51:12 PM »

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2020, 10:14:39 AM »
The last thing I the world I would ever want is a "self driving" car. I wouldn't even ride in one. Fortunately, we have a better chance of seeing flying cars than Level 4 or Level 5 self aiming cars.

The entire idea of self driving cars always reminds me of this gadget from the 1973 movie Sleeper. They both have exactly the same amount of usefulness.

I love driving... on the open road. But in the city, I'm willing to give up my autonomy if it means forcing the idiots to give up theirs.

Taking things somewhat back to racing... I'd love to see a support series for Formula E with fully automated cars.  A)  The first few seasons will be hilarious  B)  once they get the software working, the cars will be able to do things that drivers can't, just because of G-forces  C)  it will be a great way to advance the technology, which is SUPPOSED to be a part of top level racing.  D) It will inspire Fast And Furious 27 where Vin Diesel and the Rock take down robot cars.

They're trying. Roborace hasn't fared very well though. So far, I think there's been one race... ...where the two demonstration cars collided, ending both their races. It's one of only two races I've seen (the other being an F4 South East Asia race supporting a F1 round where the fuel calculation was off) where nobody finished.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2020, 10:19:48 AM »
If more people used taxis, self-driven cars, or Uber, it would not reduce traffic congestion because the same number of people would still be on the road.

Maybe Honda will come up with a Hydrogen Fuel Cell Bicycle...?

Shared taxis/self-driven cars/Uber do decrease congestion. It's the sharing or non-sharing element, not what sort of vehicle is involved or how it is owned, which does that.

Bicycling has major problems in places like my hometown. Cycling on the roads apparently went up 300% this year, because in many parts of the country, there was low enough traffic to make it safe to cycle. Traffic hardly went down in my town (a lot of traffic here is business traffic, a significant portion of which is classed as "essential" and thus not pandemic-affected), meaning cycling numbers didn't change here. Cycling will follow, not precede, reductions in congestion... ...and it doesn't even require powered cycles to do so (they're a small part of the market here, but uncertain legal positions plus price of the hybrid system means that most bikes here are still the traditional pedal variety).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle