collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 347
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Wrecker Romain & Blocker KMag out of Haas for next F1 season  (Read 2375 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Wrecker Romain & Blocker KMag out of Haas for next F1 season
« on: October 22, 2020, 04:20:23 PM »
This fits with rumours that Russian money will put Nikita Mazepin in the cockpit of the Haas next year. The second seat may go to another rookie unless the Uralkali backing also extends to a seasoned F1 driver to act as mentor for Nikita.

Can't say I'll be sorry to see either Grosjean or KMag leave the grid, never rated either more than journeymen - in some circumstances less than that.

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2020/10/romain-grosjean-and-kevin-magnussen-to-leave-haas-f1-team-at-end-of-2020-season/

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Wrecker Romain & Blocker KMag out of Haas for next F1 season
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 05:48:23 PM »
I've stood by Haas bucking the 'what have you done for me lately' that permeates F1, and sticking with drivers who really were there through thick and thin.  Wisest way to run the team?  Maybe not.  But also maybe.  We know that when employees feel safe and valued, they can work better.  If the cockpits are revolving doors, what's the message to the guys in the back who order the wrong screws, or miss carrying the one on a wind tunnel calc?

I like that Haas has brought loyalty to F1.

That said... Grosjean and Kmag had their chance.  I think they deserved a shot at F1, and they got it.  Maybe things could have been different, but we can say that for dozens of drivers over the years.  I feel like Gene will find opportunities for both men, if they want to pursue that.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 01:31:11 PM »
As a big time Haas fan, I'll miss K-Mag. Some dog him for not letting faster cars pass, I say that not being passed is a major part of a drivers job description. Any driver that just gives up simply because they don't have a top rank car needs to find another line of work. The drivers job is to fight for every position.

And, yes, I'm still a huge fan of Jarno Trulli.

Grosjean deserves more credit, too. Just think of how many unsightly bollards he's removed from the world's F1 circuits.

I think Gene has pretty much given up on the 2021 season & is looking forward to the major rule changes in 2022. The team seems to be working more on the 2022 more on the all new 2022 car than they are on any improvements for next season. If he has two rookies next year, they won't be rookies any more in 2022.

Here's the official statement:

https://www.haasf1team.com/news/haas-f1-team-statement
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 10:28:58 AM »
I'm not surprised one of them is leaving. Between the fact that Haas has been treading water for the 4 years they've both driven for Haas, and Drive to Survive making it quite clear that the day-to-day boss disliked both of them, it was only a matter of time (even if the ultimate boss was keen on the duo).

What surprises me is that both are leaving - even if neither is obviously better than the other, it would have been wise to retain one of them to compare with the other. Even more worrying is that apparently one of the candidates is Nikita Mazepin, who punched Callum Ilott a few years back (and got banned from a day of F3 racing as a result - I was in the paddock the following day and it was such a strange atmosphere). Putting someone with a history of violence with a team boss with a history of yelling at their drivers seems like a recipe for a future punch-up a la the one Scott Speed allegedly had with Franz Tost...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 12:13:29 PM »
I've read several places that Mick Schumacher is in line to get one of the seats. Haas would get a discount on their engine bill from Ferrari in return.

I'd love to see a Schumacher-Newgarden pairing at Haas next year.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 12:55:35 AM »
Drive to Survive ...

...Putting someone with a history of violence with a team boss with a history of yelling at their drivers seems like a recipe for a future punch-up...

Maybe their strategy IS to have a punch up captured by the Drive to Survive crew.  It'll get the team noticed, it'll get the team talked about, and isn't that what a team wants?

It's definitely a better strategy than partnering with Rich Energy was.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 01:31:28 PM »
Drive to Survive ...

...Putting someone with a history of violence with a team boss with a history of yelling at their drivers seems like a recipe for a future punch-up...

Maybe their strategy IS to have a punch up captured by the Drive to Survive crew.  It'll get the team noticed, it'll get the team talked about, and isn't that what a team wants?

It's definitely a better strategy than partnering with Rich Energy was.

Your logic is irrefutable...

Haas, hire Jeri as your head of press matters now, please!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle