collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 597
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Lewis: no guarantee I'll race next year  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: Lewis: no guarantee I'll race next year
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 03:59:35 AM »
It would be a great way to 'control the narrative' to step away at the top of his game, with the perception of unfinished business.  He'd certainly go into discussions as the perennial 'what if', especially when the next driver matches his 7 championships.

I like having Hamilton in F1.  A lot of drivers are scared to offend, scared to put a foot wrong.  Others just don't care.  Hamilton is on that fine line where he cares very much, but isn't scared either.

For sure, he's earned that with his winning ways, so there isn't really an heir apparent to someone who can have that sort of attitude.  Maybe Alonso.  I think the Albon could follow in Hamilton's footsteps personality wise, but I don't think he's going to get the opportunity to fulfill his skill.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 02:18:26 PM »
I really can't see him moving to another team where he'd have a car that couldn't come close to Mercedes.

"Well we're in November, and I'm still, it's crazy that we're… Christmas isn't that far away," Hamilton said. "Naturally, I feel great, I feel still very strong, I feel I can keep going for plenty of months."

Any bets what Bottas wants for Christmas?  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline rmassart

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 02:51:30 PM »
I would love to see Hamilton and either Verstappen or Leclerc in the same team, before Hamilton retires. Don't care which team... They are the two young pretenders in my view and I am really curious if either can give Hamilton a run for his money!  Get rid of Bottas and put Verstappen in his place for example.

Offline Willy

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 02:06:07 PM »
He is at the top of his game and they say that is when you should step away.
He will always have the unanswered question over his head if he does.
I want him to stay if only to erase the Schumacher name from the top of the driver's championship list.

Offline jimclark

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 05:33:26 AM »
He is at the top of his game and "they" say that is when you should step away.
I want him to stay if only to erase the Schumacher name from the top of the driver's championship list.
"They" should just concern "themselves" with decisions about their own lives.
Who is anybody to determine for someone else when the "right" time to stop doing what they enjoy doing?  :DntKnw: That is only projecting what is right for "them"selves......  :stop:

How does one determine what question is on the mind of another?  :DntKnw:

I would like to see it also......but does Lewis feel the need?  ;)

'Two extremes......Nico and Kimi...... They both "appear" (key word of course....'don't know them personally) to be content with their decisions regarding their F1 careers..... :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 05:55:18 AM by jimclark »
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 01:07:37 PM »
He is at the top of his game and "they" say that is when you should step away.
"They" should just concern "themselves" with decisions about their own lives.
Who is anybody to determine for someone else when the "right" time to stop doing what they enjoy doing?  :DntKnw: That is only projecting what is right for "them"selves......  :stop:

How does one determine what question is on the mind of another?  :DntKnw:

I would like to see it also......but does Lewis feel the need?  ;)

'Two extremes......Nico and Kimi...... They both "appear" (key word of course....'don't know them personally) to be content with their decisions regarding their F1 careers..... :)

Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could just stop doing our jobs because we don't enjoy it?

While I agree being gossipy about things we don't truly understand is a little unseemly, you have to keep in mind that being a star athlete (which F1 drivers are) means being in the public spotlight, subject to public scrutiny.  You could even say that their job isn't to win races, rather to be talked about, to keep their sponsors in the public eye.  So as long as Lewis is racing, he's being paid his whatever millions so that people who have no idea what they're talking about can talk about it.  I mean there's only so many times we can talk about how well he took turn 8 on lap 27 before we have to talk about something else.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 03:58:54 PM »
I mean there's only so many times we can talk about how well he took turn 8 on lap 27 before we have to talk about something else.

Turn 9?  :D

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 08:29:17 PM »
As he has no contract I believe its a bargaining tool and only time will reveal the truth.
But then what do I know?  :DntKnw:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline jimclark

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 09:24:25 PM »
Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could just stop doing our jobs because we don't enjoy it?

No, not "wouldn't it'.....anyone can. You determine you're fate.  ;)

jimclark

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 10:22:09 PM »
My feeling is Lewis only wants one more year on his contract at present and then decide if he wants to continue later on next year.

Mercedes want at least 2, possibly 3, years to see them into the new aero regs era. A one year deal from lewis leaves them with only the one choice to sign Bottas for at least two years to keep an experienced pilot in new 2022 chassis when the competition might start to hot up.

This talk of hanging up his overalls is a way of signalling he's becoming unhappy with the longer term vision. If he does one more year and gets another WDC what is there left to prove after that?

Sure if he's in a longer term deal he can always walk away like Nico did at the end of the season, but I think he wants to avoid any penalty payment if he does that.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 11:05:30 PM »

In the abstract this may be true, but in reality with paying the rent, putting food on the table, caring for family, I'm sure most of us feel trapped, unable to quit without endangering those we are responsible for.
Lonny

Offline jimclark

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2020, 03:04:45 AM »
In the abstract this may be true, but in reality with paying the rent, putting food on the table, caring for family, I'm sure most of us feel trapped, unable to quit without endangering those we are responsible for.
My bad.....  :(
I guess I was a bit "short" with my response. I didn't mean just quit.....rather, one can prep oneself and transition to something enjoyable.

I have a feeling Lewis won't just sit on his butt......I believe he's a bit more motivated than that. :)

jimclark

Offline Andy B

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2020, 09:18:02 PM »
I now have the best job I ever had!
Retirement but if you want a good one you need to plan for it early in your working life.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline jimclark

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2020, 02:11:00 AM »
 :good:

jimclark

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle