collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 311
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Official 2021 Calendar.  (Read 2204 times)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Lonny

Offline Andy B

Re: Official 2021 Calendar.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 08:57:59 PM »
23 is too many and can only be driven by financial greed I'de be interested in what the teams and driver think the ideal number would be?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 02:36:52 AM »
23 is too many and can only be driven by financial greed I'de be interested in what the teams and driver think the ideal number would be?

I'm not really sold on '23 being too many'.  I get that teams are away from home for race weekends, but most professional sports involve travel.  NHL and NBA teams play 40 'away' games.  Major League Baseball plays 81 'away' games.  Throw in at least 10 more if you play for the championship.

Maybe if F1 teams didn't bring an army to each race.  Most other racing series bring a handful of people and they do just fine.  Maybe the F1 technology that needs to trickle down is making these hybrid power units easy to service.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 06:50:21 AM »

I'm not really sold on '23 being too many'. 

It depends on "too many" for whom. For the teams and drivers, I don't care, it's their job.  But for the audience you risk to dilute the spectacle with so many races. I used to look forward to each race and went for several years in the 90s not missing a single race on TV. But that was manageable with one race every other weekend for about 8 months.  With 23 races, the season will go on forever with many back to back races. It's too much in my opinion, especially since most races are still quite processional around identikit tracks with at most 3 drivers in with a chance of winning. It's all too predictable and boring. Maybe the new rules in '22 will help.

I look at it like football. You used to be able to watch one match a week, but now on you will always find a channel with a live football match on. It becomes irrelevant who's playing, who's top of the league or even which league you are actually watching.  And now with the lockdown every single football match is shown live in the UK premier league. And I've never watched less football... it's too much.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 02:06:50 PM »
I think it's more a question quality rather than quantity. I look at that schedule and see 7 or 8 races that could go away & never be missed. The schedule would be far better without them. At the same time, I can think of a number of other tracks (including some that ended up on this year's calendar) that would be a great boost to F1.

I think that the Saudi race shows exactly what's wrong with the current system. How can they get a slot on the calendar when they don't even have a track design yet? The racing really needs to be the most important thing. Does anybody really care about "destination cities?"
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline rmassart

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 02:41:15 PM »
Does anybody really care about "destination cities?"

Currently, in the locked down world, it would seem quite irrelevant!  I don't even know if the manufacturers and teams are that bothered. eg It's not clear to me that a Mercedes winning in Saudi Arabia would boost their sales in that country...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 05:04:58 PM »
Does anybody really care about "destination cities?"

Currently, in the locked down world, it would seem quite irrelevant!  I don't even know if the manufacturers and teams are that bothered. eg It's not clear to me that a Mercedes winning in Saudi Arabia would boost their sales in that country...

A lot of Oil-tocracies have huge markets for luxury/super/hyper cars.  I've have friends who lived there, and you can literally find hyper cars abandoned on the side of the highway, or forgotten in parking garages.  These aren't 'car people' looking for the best performance, they're rich kids looking for the latest status symbol.  Someone thinks that winning on Sunday sells on Monday.

As  a 'car person', I find the whole thing offensive.  However, I get that F1 is a business, in partnership with dozens of businesses.  If I want to watch the cars go vroom, and some Saudi punks are willing to foot the bill, I'm not sure I can complain.  Plenty of OTHER reasons to complain about Saudi Arabia as a country.  Certainly to complain about the track (or lack thereof).

I don't mind F1 going to new places, either because they're overdue (China, India have massive auto industries), or trying to grow the sport's fanbase (Vietnam).  I'd prefer the new tracks to be 'instant classics', but there seems to be difficulty in accomplishing that.  I do recognize the risk of alienating the 'core' F1 fans in Europe, as does F1, hence adding races instead of replacing.  I think the Germans were on to something with skipping years.  Instead of 23 races a year, they could go back to twenty, but have some of the 25 to 30 races run every other year.  You get to grow the fanbase, don't put a strain on a market that might not be able to sustain F1 annually, and keep the core tracks/fans at the heart of everything.

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 01:58:07 AM »
23 is too much. We don't need to have races a few
weeks before Xmas.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 03:10:16 PM »
23 is too many. I know a fair number of people saying 17 was perfect for them this year... ...and that was despite most of those people being at home between jobs for some/all of that time.

While it's a shame we aren't going to Vietnam, it offers a much-needed respite.

That said, COVID remains a factor, and I fully expect some of these races to be lost at short notice due to this. Especially in a climate of increasing doubts about the utility of rapid tests in community settings. Some places are now starting to say only PCR tests (the ones processed in labs that most countries need at least a day to get results for as opposed to the 20-90 minutes F1 does) are valid for people travelling into their country.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 03:11:57 PM by Alianora La Canta »
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 03:33:25 PM »
23 is too many. I know a fair number of people saying 17 was perfect for them this year... ...and that was despite most of those people being at home between jobs for some/all of that time.

Think your kinda neutralising your own point of 23 races is too much in a full season by using 17 races in a much shortened season as an acceptable yardstick Alia. Maths not my best subject but:- 23 in 10 months too many yet 17 in 6 months ok. :confused:
I love triple headers, means I get more for my month's payment to SKY TV Sport for race coverage.  :yahoo:

All the detractors also seem to be missing the economic impact on F1 this year, if liberty don't take the chance of raking in as much as possible next year, a big percentage of which gets paid out to teams, we may see some teams more on the edge than now.

I'm ok with 23, just wish I could consider attending more than one, if allowed next year.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Willy

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 06:00:02 PM »
It is not a sustainable formula to keep adding races and venture into new territory every season.
I understand wanting to increase the fan base and allow more new fans the live F1 experience but the cost to build and maintain an F1 track to current standards must be prohibitive for many locations. As such the fans have to pony up big bucks for seats and then watch the race on a big screen that can be hard to see dependant on the weather or how sunny it is. Better to stay at home and watch from the comfort of your armchair with a private loo a short walk away.
I truly enjoyed the 2020 season as we got to see tracks that we normally don't get to see, such as Portimao in Portugal or a trip back to
the Red Bull Ring in Austria. Now I realize there are not enough stands for huge crowds in Portugal but that could be managed when and if it is required.
Both tracks bring fantastic elevation changes instead of a boring flat pancake.
I don't see a reason to increase anymore then what we currently have with the 17 race 2020 season.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2020, 07:23:21 PM »

Think your kinda neutralising your own point of 23 races is too much in a full season by using 17 races in a much shortened season as an acceptable yardstick Alia. Maths not my best subject but:- 23 in 10 months too many yet 17 in 6 months ok. :confused:
I love triple headers, means I get more for my month's payment to SKY TV Sport for race coverage.  :yahoo:

All the detractors also seem to be missing the economic impact on F1 this year, if liberty don't take the chance of raking in as much as possible next year, a big percentage of which gets paid out to teams, we may see some teams more on the edge than now.

I'm ok with 23, just wish I could consider attending more than one, if allowed next year.

The people I'm hearing from think 17 races is perfect as a full season, and that it's not to do with how many months are used to cover it, but because of the number of significant things happening. With other things going on, those other things would be adding to the significant event count, dropping the number F1 could carry and still meet people's ability to juggle the number of significant things they can handle in a year.

(Although I think COVID and its effects on every aspect of life have frazzled a lot of people to some extent, including me - so it's not as simple as saying "people can only handle 17 significant things in the same year").
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle