F1 News & Discussions > Pit Pass

Ferrari Horsepower Gap to Mercedes

(1/1)

cosworth151:
So that's why Haas is at the back of the field!

Ferrari F1 team principal Mattia Binotto has admitted that they have a power gap to Mercedes. A huge gap.

"Can we reach Mercedes? Perhaps that is asking too much since it means gaining between 40 and 50 horsepower. But being on par with Honda and Renault today would in itself be a remarkable step forward.

"We have to bear in mind that only one engine specification will be allowed for the whole of 2021, except for minor details. There is no room for error."

I hope they can do it. I'd love to see Haas (and Kimi) with a competitive engine.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a34739817/ferraris-f1-boss-reveals-horsepower-gap-to-mercedes-and-its-a-lot/

Jericoke:
I really do understand that F1 wants to keep engine costs down by not allowing a constantly improving arms race.

But I really do miss that aspect of the sport.

Also, it kind of sucks that if there's a performance gap, it's locked in.  Most other sports, if there's a problem, you can fix it.  It sucks that if you show up with the wrong power unit on Day 1, you're going to be saddled with that same one on the last day.  Surely they can find a way to build in cost caps, you have $X dollars to spend on your engine all season, you can do it up front, or save a reserve for improvements.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version