collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 331
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Lewis to be Knighted for his Seven F1 WDCs achievement  (Read 4261 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Lewis to be Knighted for his Seven F1 WDCs achievement
« on: November 23, 2020, 05:30:44 PM »
If we can believe the Sun report, below, it seems the powers that be have agreed Lewis tax affairs are no barrier to giving him the official title of 'Sir' in the new years honours list.

We'll have to watch how we address him in our posts come 2021. I'm sure they still have dungeons at the Tower.   :D

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13263639/lewis-hamilton-knighthood-new-years-honours/

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

Re: Lewis to be Knighted for his Seven F1 WDCs achievement
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 11:22:48 PM »
If it's in The Sun disregard half of it and ignore the rest!
 I'm not saying it'll not happen but why would a rag like The Sun be the first to know?
I have to say that if I had a private jet, which LH no longer has, and I could save £3.3mill on it I would and who doesn't like a discount.
I do believe that 35 is maybe too young and if they intend to do this they should wait till he retires from racing.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Online Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 03:33:26 PM »
 I'm not saying it'll not happen but why would a rag like The Sun be the first to know?
I have to say that if I had a private jet, which LH no longer has, and I could save £3.3mill on it I would and who doesn't like a discount.
I do believe that 35 is maybe too young and if they intend to do this they should wait till he retires from racing.

They act like Lewis is sitting there figuring out how to screw the government out of their cut.  Presumably he has an accounting firm doing their best for their client and he just says 'yup, sounds good'.

As for 35 being too young... what is the right age for knighthood?  What would be so bad about having him being a 'young' knight? 

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 04:45:58 PM »

They act like Lewis is sitting there figuring out how to screw the government out of their cut.  Presumably he has an accounting firm doing their best for their client and he just says 'yup, sounds good'.

In the last few years the question of morality as well as propriety over tax affairs has applied to potential recipients of Knighthoods & Peerages. Rather too many scandals involving offshore companies, deposits and bad business practices has forced politicians to review carefully individuals put forward for honours. Amongst other checks this involves asking for a clean bill of health from HMRC, Britain's tax authority. 

Not sure Lewis has been turned down in the past for a knighthood because of tax affairs, this simply may be speculation from media trying to explain why he was to their mind overlooked in previous years.

I'm not sure the authorities make any comment about people who don't make the cut, instead they focus on the names on the honours list published at any given time.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 01:26:24 PM »

In the last few years the question of morality as well as propriety over tax affairs has applied to potential recipients of Knighthoods & Peerages. Rather too many scandals involving offshore companies, deposits and bad business practices has forced politicians to review carefully individuals put forward for honours. Amongst other checks this involves asking for a clean bill of health from HMRC, Britain's tax authority. 

Isn't that the summary of the difference between UK and USA?  UK makes sure that their top citizens are honest tax payers, whereas the USA raises tax dodgers to high office and heroic titans of industry.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 03:16:17 PM »
The article calls Lewis "arguably the UK’s greatest living sportsman." Sir Jackie is still alive, isn't he?

That said, I hope he does get it. 7 WDC's takes a lot more than luck.

the USA raises tax dodgers to high office and heroic titans of industry.
- As to that, see below.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 03:45:50 PM »
 :DD :DD :DD
Lonny

Online Dare

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2020, 02:08:59 PM »
Isn't that the summary of the difference between UK and USA?  UK makes sure that their top citizens are honest tax payers, whereas the USA raises tax dodgers to high office and heroic titans of industry.

It hits a sour note when you learn you pay more
taxes than a billionaire
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 11:48:54 AM »

As for 35 being too young... what is the right age for knighthood?  What would be so bad about having him being a 'young' knight?

One of the few known ways of being overlooked for a knighthood (apart from plain not achieving very much) is to be on bad terms with HMRC, as failure to pay taxes is technically disloyalty to the Crown. Obviously, people who are actively disloyal to the Crown itself are not eligible for any sort of Crown honour. (This may even explain why the USA doesn't see it the same way, since they're anti-monarchial, and that great symbol of American patriotism, the Boston Tea Party, was a refusal to pay tax?)

Young knights do happen every so often. I think the main objection is that once knighted, there's no tradition of increasing people's grades of knighthood, unlike say, the Monaco honours system (even though a casual look at the system suggests it is possible), so often the Palace likes to wait until the recipient has either had a full career in whatever prompted the suggestion of knighthood or achieved something in a different field, before awarding the knighthood. Lewis having broadened his achievements beyond motorsport may be what gives the Palance the confidence to issue the full upgrade to knighthood (bear in mind, he already has an MBE, so it's not like he's been completely snubbed).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 03:10:09 PM »
I think the main objection is that once knighted, there's no tradition of increasing people's grades of knighthood,

Lord Hamilton of Silverstone, anyone?   ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 04:27:58 PM »
I think the main objection is that once knighted, there's no tradition of increasing people's grades of knighthood,

That's not a grade of knighthood, and generally reserved for those with ambitions to be politicians.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 05:14:59 PM »
Just a little joke. It made me think of when Alfred Hitchcock was knighted. A reporter asked him how he liked the sound of "Sir Alfred." With his trademark deadpan expression, he replied, "I think Lord Hitchcock sounds much better."
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 04:59:09 AM »
 :DD :DD
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 06:01:47 PM »

That's not a grade of knighthood, and generally reserved for those with ambitions to be politicians.

Is it common for British athletes to go into politics?  A few National Hockey League players and coaches have gotten involved in top level Canadian politics.  (The Stanley Cup, the championship trophy for hockey is named for the Earl of Stanley, the Governor General of Canada)

Offline Ian

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 10:44:02 PM »
I don't agree with any sportsman being knighted, they're doing something they love.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle