F1 News & Discussions > F1 Drivers

Lewis to be Knighted for his Seven F1 WDCs achievement

(1/5) > >>

John S:
If we can believe the Sun report, below, it seems the powers that be have agreed Lewis tax affairs are no barrier to giving him the official title of 'Sir' in the new years honours list.

We'll have to watch how we address him in our posts come 2021. I'm sure they still have dungeons at the Tower.   :D

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13263639/lewis-hamilton-knighthood-new-years-honours/

Andy B:
If it's in The Sun disregard half of it and ignore the rest!
 I'm not saying it'll not happen but why would a rag like The Sun be the first to know?
I have to say that if I had a private jet, which LH no longer has, and I could save £3.3mill on it I would and who doesn't like a discount.
I do believe that 35 is maybe too young and if they intend to do this they should wait till he retires from racing.

Jericoke:

--- Quote from: Andy B on November 23, 2020, 11:22:48 PM ---If it's in The Sun disregard half of it and ignore the rest!
 I'm not saying it'll not happen but why would a rag like The Sun be the first to know?
I have to say that if I had a private jet, which LH no longer has, and I could save £3.3mill on it I would and who doesn't like a discount.
I do believe that 35 is maybe too young and if they intend to do this they should wait till he retires from racing.

--- End quote ---

They act like Lewis is sitting there figuring out how to screw the government out of their cut.  Presumably he has an accounting firm doing their best for their client and he just says 'yup, sounds good'.

As for 35 being too young... what is the right age for knighthood?  What would be so bad about having him being a 'young' knight? 

John S:

--- Quote from: Jericoke on November 24, 2020, 03:33:26 PM ---
They act like Lewis is sitting there figuring out how to screw the government out of their cut.  Presumably he has an accounting firm doing their best for their client and he just says 'yup, sounds good'.

--- End quote ---

In the last few years the question of morality as well as propriety over tax affairs has applied to potential recipients of Knighthoods & Peerages. Rather too many scandals involving offshore companies, deposits and bad business practices has forced politicians to review carefully individuals put forward for honours. Amongst other checks this involves asking for a clean bill of health from HMRC, Britain's tax authority. 

Not sure Lewis has been turned down in the past for a knighthood because of tax affairs, this simply may be speculation from media trying to explain why he was to their mind overlooked in previous years.

I'm not sure the authorities make any comment about people who don't make the cut, instead they focus on the names on the honours list published at any given time.

Jericoke:

--- Quote from: John S on November 24, 2020, 04:45:58 PM ---
--- Quote from: Jericoke on November 24, 2020, 03:33:26 PM ---

--- End quote ---

In the last few years the question of morality as well as propriety over tax affairs has applied to potential recipients of Knighthoods & Peerages. Rather too many scandals involving offshore companies, deposits and bad business practices has forced politicians to review carefully individuals put forward for honours. Amongst other checks this involves asking for a clean bill of health from HMRC, Britain's tax authority. 

--- End quote ---

Isn't that the summary of the difference between UK and USA?  UK makes sure that their top citizens are honest tax payers, whereas the USA raises tax dodgers to high office and heroic titans of industry.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version