F1 News & Discussions > F1 Drivers

Lewis to be Knighted for his Seven F1 WDCs achievement

<< < (4/5) > >>

Jericoke:

--- Quote from: Ian on December 05, 2020, 10:44:02 PM ---I don't agree with any sportsman being knighted, they're doing something they love.

--- End quote ---

You can only be knighted for doing something you hate? 

I'd like to think that knighthood for elite athletes isn't simply for their on field/track achievements, but also how they've comported themselves away from competition.  Being strong role models, powerful philanthropic or political engagement etc.   I think Lewis hasn't necessarily built up that resume yet, in which case, I'd agree he's not 'ready' for knighthood yet.

Alianora La Canta:
I think there's a feeling that knighthoods should be for things that feel like work. A lot of people think sport is rewarding enough (beside the inherent fun of it, getting to a position to get a royal honour generally comes with a big salary) that a royal honour is superfluous. (I do not share this view).

lkjohnson1950:
Baseball player Barry Bonds once scandalized fans by saying he did not play ball because he loved the game. He played because it paid well and he was good at it. Of course he also used steroids to bulk up and increase his home run production, so...

John S:

--- Quote from: Alianora La Canta on December 08, 2020, 09:16:02 PM ---I think there's a feeling that knighthoods should be for things that feel like work. A lot of people think sport is rewarding enough (beside the inherent fun of it, getting to a position to get a royal honour generally comes with a big salary) that a royal honour is superfluous. (I do not share this view).

--- End quote ---

I think most honours still go to civil servants or politicians for servivce to the state, hardly the most highly paid work now is it.

cosworth151:

--- Quote from: lkjohnson1950 on December 08, 2020, 09:30:04 PM ---Baseball player Barry Bonds once scandalized fans by saying he did not play ball because he loved the game. He played because it paid well and he was good at it. Of course he also used steroids to bulk up and increase his home run production, so...

--- End quote ---

I recall Niki Lauda saying very similar things about himself and racing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version