collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 355
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Hamilton - COVID Positive = no drive this weekend  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Monty

Hamilton - COVID Positive = no drive this weekend
« on: December 01, 2020, 09:16:06 AM »
So one record will not get broken this weekend  :o

Online Jericoke

Re: Hamilton - COVID Positive = no drive this weekend
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 03:48:46 PM »
so Hulk goes from the 2019 Merc to the 2020 Merc?

Offline rmassart

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 06:05:09 AM »
They're talking about George Russell, which would be pretty cool!

Offline Monty

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 09:02:47 AM »
George Russell confirmed.
What a fantastic opportunity. However, he will get hammered - if he does well the pundits will say 'well anyone can do well in that car' and if he doesn't do well the pundits will say 'he clearly has no talent because he should have done well in that car'!!

Offline rmassart

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 09:35:43 AM »
I think it depends more on how well he does compared to Bottas. 

As nice as Bottas is, he's simply not good enough to be in a Mercedes in my opinion. I wish they would put someone in the car who can actually challenge Hamilton. Verstappen would be great, but there are others as well. I know teams don't like this as it creates unnecessary friction, but at the moment it looks to easy for Hamilton.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 02:00:11 PM »
I think it depends more on how well he does compared to Bottas. 

As nice as Bottas is, he's simply not good enough to be in a Mercedes in my opinion. I wish they would put someone in the car who can actually challenge Hamilton. Verstappen would be great, but there are others as well. I know teams don't like this as it creates unnecessary friction, but at the moment it looks to easy for Hamilton.

Always hard to say for sure what would happen in 'what if' situations, but mostly Hamilton out performs Bottas by 100ths of a second with superb qualifying sessions.  A driver even slightly slower than Hamilton would be starting behind Bottas, which would translate into more race wins for Bottas, and considering he's already #2, that's a lot more points he'd earn without Hamilton.

I think the greatest differentiator between Lewis and Valtteri is the mental toughness, the same mental toughness that Nico Rosberg didn't want to fight.  I think that a 'softer' team mate would give Bottas a little more edge (how many seasons have we had a strong Bottas start fall off quickly?)

Bottom line, I think that Hamilton is a poor teammate for Bottas to race with*, and any other teammate, including Max or LeClerc, you'd see a stronger Bottas.

*even though Bottas isn't going to win a championship racing alongside Hamilton at Mercedes, still the best place he could be.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 02:56:55 PM »
It might also help prove that Hamilton's driving skills have as much to do with Merc's success as does the quality of their car.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 03:14:14 PM »
It might also help prove that Hamilton's driving skills have as much to do with Merc's success as does the quality of their car.
I agree - Mercedes had developed a fantastic engine at the former Ilmor plant in Brixworth but they had no experience in Chassis design. Hamilton joined what had been a massively under-funded Brawn team and I believe he was fundamental to the development of what became the dominant F1 car. Partner teams prove it isn't just the power plant that makes Mercedes successful; it is the combination of chassis, power plant and driver. Hamilton must be given due credit for his part in the car development and the fact that he is the fastest driver in all conditions.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 07:29:43 PM »
Hamilton says he lost 4 kilos while he was sick and 6 kilos over the last 3 races. A lot of it was muscle and could explain why he was lackluster at the last race.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/12/21/hamilton-reveals-he-lost-four-kilos-after-contracting-covid-19/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+f1fanatic+%28RaceFans+-+Independent+Motorsport+Coverage%29
Lonny

Offline Willy

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 08:10:27 PM »
Lewis was exhausted after his last race and it was obvious as he stood to be interviewed. He most likely thought he was in good enough condition and great physical shape to be able to come back as fast as he did and get it the car for the last race. Not so.
He should have let George have another go and really show how bad Bottas is.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 01:14:24 PM »

He should have let George have another go and really show how bad Bottas is.

He wasn't likely do that if he's planning on staying at Merc next year, he'd want Bottas to stay in 2nd seat.

I'm sure he prefers the team mate he knows he can best to a young charger who may make his all time record 8th championship bid a lot harder.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle