collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 389
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 3
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11252 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Should Russell race for Mercedes in 2021?  (Read 1424 times)

Online Jericoke

Should Russell race for Mercedes in 2021?
« on: December 08, 2020, 04:10:51 PM »
Tt's one race.  It was a great race.  Russel clearly fits in at Mercedes.  Should he be in the silver arrows in 2021?

I say 'no'.

Reason 1.  With 2021 rules being more or less a 2020 do over, I see little reason for anything to change.  Mercedes will be at the front, with their top driver winning the WDC, their second driver runner up, and the team winning WCC.  The team as is works, why mess with that?

Replace Bottas with Russel is he going to be MORE second?

Worse, what if Russel is ahead of Hamilton,and on track for the WDC?  We saw what Hamilton did to Rosberg.  What's he going to do to Russel?  Russel might be able to take it, but maybe not.

The other option is to replace Hamilton with Russel. Mercedes has the chance to be in the record books for being the record setting 8th championship for Hamilton, with his picture associated with the tri-star forever.  Who wants to give that up?

Now, if 2021 goes off poorly, Hamilton doesn't have the 'drive' that makes him Hamilton, or Bottas gets too far in his head worrying about losing his seat, THEN Mercedes can do a 'call up' for Russel part way through the season.  Otherwise, they run the risk of replicating Hamilton/Alonso in 2007 or Vettel/LeClerc in 2019. Making a champion feel ordinary doesn't help anyone.

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Should Russell race for Mercedes in 2021?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 06:03:35 PM »
Be a bad move for Mercedes, Jeri. Lewis is out of contract and may only want a year on year deal as he not sure how he'll feel after an potential 8th WDC. 

The new regs 2022 cars are maybe a risk Lewis may not need or even want, this could leave Merc in a hole with relatively inexperienced George and someone new in a leading team for 22 if Bottas has been shown the door.

IMHO much better to let Valtteri continue to support Lewis in 21 and then make a decision for 2022 when Lewis has confirmed whether or not he will lead the team in the new car. George will get a 22 drive but his teamate will be one of the 2 previous experienced pilots at the team.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 09:14:05 PM »
I'd put George in next time a slot naturally comes free. No need to make anything happen artificially, and after this weekend, I think Valtteri's thinking about life after Mercedes.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 12:56:10 PM »
There is always the continuity question, but as long as the car is a solid winner, and the driver not full of rookie mistakes, they would still be dominant.  I would toss Bottas in a second if I could put Russell in the car.  He showed he was on pace over one single race weekend.  Adjust the cockpit to his size and he would be even more comfortable and probably perform even better.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle