collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 351
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Grosjean Accident  (Read 4959 times)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Grosjean Accident
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2020, 03:59:10 PM »
Here's a slo-mo, 3-D computer animation of the crash. It shows what happened step by step. It looks like one of the guard rail support posts cause the car to split in half.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2020, 12:52:03 PM »
Yeah it looked like that right away.  In the aftermath you could see where one post was missing and the other was bent, and that was just a short distance from where the cockpit ended up.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2020, 10:25:18 PM »
It seems all the safety bits did their jobs except the onboard fire extinguishers. The halo, which I still think is ugly, was superb, pushing the Armco aside easily. The fire equipment needs to be re-examined to be sure it can activate even if the car is torn in half. Even 10 years ago, I think Romain could not have walked away from that horrific a crash.
Lonny

Offline jimclark

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2020, 11:47:05 PM »
Even 10 years ago, I think Romain could not have walked away from that horrific a crash.
Ten years nuttin'...... :p

As recent as 2017 Grosjean would have been "Ceverted/Koinigged" prior to the car's separation, or the fire......  :(
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2020, 04:18:34 PM »
The halo, which I still think is ugly

Take a look at IndyCar's Aero Screen. It's uglier than crap on a white horse. The Halo looks beautiful compared to it.

From a certain angle, the front of an IndyCar now looks like the head of one of the characters in the Spy vs Spy comics.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2020, 07:34:55 PM »
I know, I know! Indy Car still is more competitive than F1. I'm not a fan of Roger Penske, but it will be interesting to see what he does with the series and the 500.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2020, 07:54:10 PM »
I know, I know! Indy Car still is more competitive than F1.

:o  I hope you meant to say closer racing, Lonny.  :swoon:

In the competitive stakes I can't think of any motor racing series anywhere so driven to produce better and more innovative solutions to grab just a tenth of a sec, or even less, over others than F1.

That exists all the way along the pitlane, though budget does limit some it's true.
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2020, 08:22:12 PM »

In the competitive stakes I can't think of any motor racing series anywhere so driven to produce better and more innovative solutions to grab just a tenth of a sec, or even less, over others than F1.

That exists all the way along the pitlane, though budget does limit some it's true.

I don't doubt that NASCAR and IndyCar are trying to get every tenth they can.  Sure, the rules are budgets are more constrained, but NASCAR has by far the best history of 'cheating' that Adrian Newey could only dream of.

As for IndyCar and innovation... I dare you to find a racecar anywhere in the world without a Gurney flap.

I haven't watched a lot of IndyCar in the last few years, but the Aeroscreen has introduced several problems.  There's the visibility, of course, both from the frame, and the non-cleanable window.  The 'enclosed' nature of the cockpit means drivers can't hear other cars nearby.  The lack of airflow past the driver makes summer racing in the southern USA especially hot.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2020, 03:10:57 AM »

Most of F1's innovations are no longer applicable to everyday driving. Nearly all their time is spent on aero. Now the 2021 regs are going to limit even that. To me a series is "competitive" when you have lots of cars capable of winning and the championship goes down to the last race. F1 used to have that, it doesn't anymore. This year was an exception. Mercedes made 2 gigantic errors, pitting Lewis at Monza when the pits were closed, and totally pooching the stacked stops at Bahrain. That let 2 mid-pack teams steal wins. They were the most interesting races F1 has had in decades. Otherwise we've had Ferraris, then Red Bulls, then Mercs dominate. Not competitive.
Lonny

Offline jimclark

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2020, 11:10:03 AM »
Take a look at IndyCar's Aero Screen. It's uglier than crap on a white horse. The Halo looks beautiful compared to it.

From a certain angle, the front of an IndyCar now looks like the head of one of the characters in the Spy vs Spy comics.

:D
"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle