collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 388
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 1194 times)

Offline Jericoke

2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes
« on: December 14, 2020, 02:03:56 AM »
After three absolutely memorable races 2020 finished with a thud.

Aside from Max/Red Bull earning a solid win, I don't know that there's much to say.  McLaren did great.  Albon finally did the job that's been expected of him all season.  Racing Point still has work to do to become a championship team.

So, I'm declaring all my F1 friends here to be my heroes.  I love that we've got a place where we can discuss the sport as fans.  We don't always agree, I don't want to always agree.  I want to have a great conversation, learn some new things, gain some new perspective, and this is the perfect site for it!

So thank you Wizzo, you've been the champion long before the Hybrid Era!

Thank you Dare, the grid game is the icing on the cake for my race weekends!

I love the chat, but I know I've missed it.  My 19 year old son has decided to become an F1 fan (the same age I did!), so the two of us have been watching the races together.

I hope the discussion keeps up over the off season, and I hope we have as much fun as ever come March 18th in Australia!

Offline rmassart

Re: 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 06:26:22 AM »
I second that. I enjoy reading all the opinions on this site. I certainly learn a lot more here than from the commentators of the live race...

As for the race, the only thing which struck me was how subdued Hamilton seemed to be, pretty much all weekend. It's unusual for him to not be all over Bottas when trailing him.  I assume he hasn't recovered fully from covid. Or else couldn't be bothered in the final race of this quite unusual season. And I wouldn't blame him for that.

Well done Verstappen. I hope red bull can put up more of a fight next year, because I don't see anyone else doing so. Certainly not Ferrari. 

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 08:31:23 AM »
Nicely said Jeri!
Race was best (and easily) forgotten!
Sad to see Perez go out with a DNF.

Offline Willy

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 05:03:12 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree with Jeri!
Thank you all for your opinions and insight on areas I have no clue (too many I admit).
I believe Lewis should have not been in his car for the final race as he was still not 100% after his Covid event. It showed in his driving and total lack of aggression as he did nothing to challenge Bottas when we all know he could have had 2nd if he really wanted it.
It was also apparent in Lewis's physical demeanour after the race that he was exhausted and it took more from him then he had to complete the race.
Congrats to Red Bull for a good showing in the final race.

The last race in certain cars for many drivers, some to other teams and others to other ventures.
And now we wait for what 2021 will be.
As vaccines are starting to roll out we may get back to fan filled stands for the next season but it will take quite a while for everyone to get one so we shall see.

I understand that Portugal may be on the calendar instead of Vietnam and I for one love that.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 05:41:26 PM »
Well said, Jeri! I totally agree. I on the edge of Appalachia. Prior to joining here, about the only time I got to talk with other F1 fans was at the U.S.G.P. Having GPW is absolutely wonderful.

Seriously, one year at Indy, I walked in to a Speedway convenience store across the street from IMS. I was wearing my Minardi kit. When I checked out, I flip out my Speedway Rewards card. The clerk was amazed. He asked me, very slowly (that's way we Yanks make foreigners understand English), Where - are - you - from?

I answered, just as slowly, "Camp Atterbury." (The army base south of Indy where I was born.)  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 05:44:04 PM »
I wish Hamilton would have let George have another
shot. What did he have to gain? After last week  Mercedes
owed George
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Willy

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 07:36:46 PM »
I totally agree with Dare.
George should have had the final race in the Merc as they owed him a chance to show everyone his chops after they pooched it in Sakhir.
Lewis could have used the rest and he had has nothing to prove.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 08:13:21 PM »
I wish Hamilton would have let George have another
shot. What did he have to gain? After last week  Mercedes
owed George

I think anyone involved in F1, as a fan or competitor (except maybe Max and Bottas) would agree with you.

BUT, my outside opinion on Hamilton's motivation is thus:
in the past Hamilton was given flack for never winning races after he'd won the championship, that if there was nothing on the line, he was giving up.  I think he's taken that criticism to heart and wants to be as competitive as possible, which means racing while sick, showing up to the track even when doesn't have to.  It would have been easy to skip the race.  The entire F1 world would have said 'take a break champ, you've earned it', but in the back of his head, he'd know he'd given up once, and he's worried that allowing himself to give up once might allow him to give up on himself again.  Who knows if you'll get that killer instinct back once you give it up?

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 08:50:09 PM »
Jeri nailed it in the first post so nothing to add to that.
Lewis has his lovers and haters and I doubt that'll ever change even though he is one on the cleanest champions we have seen.

I'm pleased to be part of the GP Wizard Family and like all families we don't always agree but we all get on. Thanks you for that.  :D
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle