Everything Else > Off Topic

To our American friends: how are you doing?

(1/5) > >>

Jericoke:
So, how are you doing?  I'm not asking if you agree or disagree with any particular side here.  I just want to know, are you doing okay?  Do you need to talk?  Do you need to just forget and move on?  Is F1 the furthest thing from your mind, or do you want to get the season started so you can have something to enjoy?

Jan 6,2021... I can't imagine how horrifying it would be to see your own country experience something like that.

October 30th, 1995 Quebec held a referendum to leave Canada.  It was a legal process, conducted over a long time, reflecting decades of boiling tensions, and I remember being stick to my stomach that Canada was being laid bare for the whole world to see.  But that was nothing compared to what I was watching on TV yesterday.

cosworth151:
Many of you know that I go to Washington D.C. most every Veterans Day. I help with a bus trip for veterans put on by the Ohio Sons of AMVETS. One day of that trip is always a "free day" when we all can wonder about the city on our own.

My first stop is always the Capital Building. There is always a long line for the tour so I just roam around the grounds. No matter how many times I've been there, I never loose the sense of awe that I have for the experience. An average citizen can walk right up to center of our government and roam around the grounds. We Americans take great pride in calling the Capital and the White House "the people's houses."

The National AMVETS and its subordinate organizations (Sons of AMVETS, AMVETS Auxiliary and such) also take one week twice a year to where many of us go to D.C. Each member of Congress (both the House & the Senate) gets a visit from a few of us to discuss issues involving veterans, active duty military and their families. I feel very proud that we can do that, too.

It broke my heart to see so many places that I recognized, that I revere, being overrun by vandals and thugs.

I sincerely hope that yesterday serves as a wake up call no democracy can long exist when a sizable group of its citizens believe that "anyone who disagrees with us is our enemy and hates our country."

Here are a couple of pictures that I took on the bus trip.

John S:
Cos, don't lose heart because you have seen some protestors take over the Capitol building, it was mostly peaceful after all.

I'm amused by the unholy outpouring of crap from all major news sources about an attack on democratic values, by the occupation of the Capitol Building, when they so cheerfully endorsed the overthrow of the elected President of Ukraine not many years back, in a far more violent way than seen in Washington at present.

Odd thing is dictionaries can't even decide on exactly what Democracy/Democracie is, what chance do the rest of us have.  :confused:

The only thing I can take from the multitude of definitions is that people are free to assemble as well as choose.

I'm sure there are far more definitions than I've listed below and no doubt you will have your own favourite - that's part of the problem from my standpoint. IMHO Democracy is multi faceted, hard to really pin down - so why do so many of us believe in it?   

Democracy:- government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system. Cornerstones include freedom of assembly and speech.

Democracy:- the form of government in which political control is exercised by all the people, either directly or through their elected representatives."[ 5] "The word democracy itself means rule by the people.

Democracy:- the belief in freedom and equality between people, or a system of government based on this belief, in which power is either held by elected representatives or directly by the people themselves.

Democracy:- the common people of a community as distinguished from any privileged class; the common people with respect to their political power.

Democracy:- government by the people.

lkjohnson1950:
I don't know John. How would you feel if a mob of anti Brexit protesters broke into Parliament, breaking windows, trashing offices, stealing, possibly beating a Met officer to death?

Dare:
What I was watching was anything but peaceful. It's  been
egged on by claims of a rigged election even before the election was held. What's happened is it's divided the country as most thought not
possible. Lots of luck to our new administration....their gonna need it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version