Everything Else > Off Topic

To our American friends: how are you doing?

<< < (2/5) > >>

John S:

--- Quote from: lkjohnson1950 on January 08, 2021, 01:45:00 AM ---I don't know John. How would you feel if a mob of anti Brexit protesters broke into Parliament, breaking windows, trashing offices, stealing, possibly beating a Met officer to death?

--- End quote ---

I guess most of us would think that's just the sort of stunt a section of society might undertake with the kind of full on provocative agenda from most of the city centric media here at the time. There was certainly no shortage of protests on either side and quite a few ended in deplorable scenes on the streets with attacks on Police, buildings and cars.

When I referred to your present protest in Washington as mostly peaceful I was comparing it to a possible bloodbath that it could easily have been in a country with such easy access to firearms. I think it's a sign that things have not really reached rock bottom since heavily armed militias were not the invaders at the government buildings.   

Perhaps we are just more used to protests in Britain, especially in London, on all sorts of topics, occasions & in varying places that the gathering at the Capital building doesn't seem that out of the ordinary. However it clearly is a step beyond for you in the US.

cosworth151:
Sadly, the police officer Lonny spoke of did succumb to his injuries last night.

The physical damage done to the Capital was tremendous. One of the looters even tried to steal the plaque that marked the corner stone laid by George Washington. Fortunately he was stopped.

In the center of Washington D.C. is a long, rectangular park called The National Mall. The Capital is at the east end of it. At the west end, facing the Capital, is the Lincoln Memorial. It has a large statue of President Lincoln looking down the Mall towards the Washington Monument and the Capital. I can't help but wonder what The Great Emancipator would think about and invading hoard carrying the Confederate Treason flag occupied the building that he fought so hard to defend.

A few more of my pictures. The bottom on is the view from the Lincoln Memorial looking down the Mall towards the Capital.

lkjohnson1950:
Thanks John. It was painful because no hostile force of any kind has taken the Capital since you lot in the UK did it in 1812. I think most of us thought the Capital was kind of sacred; honored even if politics weren't going your way.

Jericoke:

--- Quote from: lkjohnson1950 on January 08, 2021, 05:16:26 PM ---Thanks John. It was painful because no hostile force of any kind has taken the Capital since you lot in the UK did it in 1812. I think most of us thought the Capital was kind of sacred; honored even if politics weren't going your way.

--- End quote ---

British army... deployed from Canada :)

I've been looking at the 6th of January somewhat like the Gunpowder plot:  a bunch of idiots thinking they'd change the world, but ultimately just becoming an embarrassment.

lkjohnson1950:
Many of the organizers are saying Watch This Space, indicating they are planning more for the 19 or 20 of January. I hope not. :fool:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version