collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 376
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 5
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Is F1 calendar falling to bits, again, now street races look doubtful?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Comments that FIA/Liberty jumped the gun with 2021 calendar look to be correct. Monaco has always been in doubt but is now joined by Baku & Canada on the no go list.

Guess we may be seeing double use like last year to get 20 if not 23 races during the season.

I'd vote for another running on the Sakhir outer track, not sure which other track should get two. Anyone else got any thoughts?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/monaco-baku-canada-cancellation/

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online cosworth151

Re: Is F1 calendar falling to bits, again, now street races look doubtful?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 03:07:20 PM »
Shanghai is looking shaky, too.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a35164927/add-a-second-f1-grand-prix-to-list-of-2021-races-in-jeopardy-over-covid-19/

As for doubles, I'd go for Spa, Monza, Silverstone & the Nurburgring.  I hope we finally get Zanvoort this year, too.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 09:04:55 PM »
Not sure what their thinking is, but COVID seems to be getting worse, not better, in most countries.
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 02:07:22 PM »
Not sure what their thinking is, but COVID seems to be getting worse, not better, in most countries.

Optimism is good for business.  It's easier to cancel a race than it is to throw one together last minute.

Offline Willy

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 07:24:47 PM »
We are in for another year, at least, before we get the Covid thing under wraps. It will evolve faster then they can make vaccines, so hold on for the ride and stay the f*** home if you can.
I enjoyed watching the 2020 season with the doubles and will do so again. I hope they can add Zandvoort and go back to Estoril.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 08:04:23 PM »
The vaccine is not an instant fix and as Willy said stay home and obey the rules. I have always felt moving to New Zealand from the UK was a good move for lifestyle and friendliness of the populace but with the freedom we currently have I feel quite privileged.
F1 in the big scheme of things is not important if not running a race saves lives then it shouldn't run there's a whole heap of people taking the risk to put the show on the road and as much as I appreciate them doing it if the risk is too high then cancel the race.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 02:24:01 AM »
First official calendar revision for 2021: Oz gets pushed to November, Shanghai dropped. Season will open in Bahrain, then move to Imola.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/01/12/official-f1-season-start-bahrain-as-australian-gp-postponed/
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2021, 03:28:11 PM »
First official calendar revision for 2021: Oz gets pushed to November, Shanghai dropped. Season will open in Bahrain, then move to Imola.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/01/12/official-f1-season-start-bahrain-as-australian-gp-postponed/

Nice post Lonny, but it's the list issued days before I started this thread.
That's the first revised list, I'm speculating on even greater changes to the 2021 schedule.   
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 01:30:50 PM »
The second half of the 2021 season, I think will happen - apart from Brazil and maybe USA (depending on how well USA vaccination goes - if it's still patchy, it depends on how well Texas is vaccinating). Even if Australia's still quarantining, it makes sense to pair it with Mexico (assuming they don't have any surprise vaccination problems) to help both with air costs.

The first half of the season, until the end of June or so, is likely to be hairy. The major stumbing block, Australia apart, is going to be how the UK handles the matter. So far it has done quite a poor job (deaths are already 1 1/2 times over the "worst case scenario" prediction), and if the 7 UK teams can't travel (as looks increasingly likely, at least for a time), then F1 cannot run a race just for the remaining 3 teams.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online rmassart

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 07:59:13 AM »
The first half of the season, until the end of June or so, is likely to be hairy. The major stumbing block, Australia apart, is going to be how the UK handles the matter.

I really hadn't thought about this aspect. It might well be impossible for UK based teams to travel for the next 3 - 4 months. At least until the pandemic situation is more under control in the UK and the consequences of the UK variant are better understood. As it stands more and more countries are closing their borders to the UK...  :(

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 09:13:42 AM »
I'm with Willy.  Do a bunch of double or triple headers and keep the risks down.  F1 simply isn't that important.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle