collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 364
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Renault staying in F1 as Alpine "Because no one is watching Formula E"  (Read 3000 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
A company boss finally admits it's about media exposure and not the development potential for a motor manufacturer.  :D

Wonder how that makes bosses of Formula E feel?  ;)

https://www.grandprix.com/news/renault-using-f1-for-its-media-power-says-de-meo.html

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Willy

Re: Renault staying in F1 as Alpine "Because no one is watching Formula E"
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 05:47:49 PM »
Bottom line shareholder profits.
It is always about that, no matter how they spin it.
More exposure, more sales, more $.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 03:24:51 PM »
In a continuing effort to save energy, will the last team to leave Formula E please turn out the lights.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 06:54:10 PM »
In a continuing effort to save energy, will the last team to leave Formula E please turn out the lights.

Let's be fair to F-E.  They serve a vitally important purpose of being a place to try out all the crazy ideas that 'spice up' motorsports.

Just like minor leagues in North America where they play test all the rule changes, they can mess around with F-E as much as they want without disrupting the F1 show, or career development of feeder series drivers. 

In the event that F-E actually stumbles on an interesting rule, then F1 can use it.

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 11:28:30 AM »
I accept that FE must get some credit. It was a completely new series and yet made an international impact. Any event that can get cities to close huge areas and disrupt day to day activities must weald some considerable power.
The weekend I went to see FE in Hong Kong was incredible in all of the wrong ways. It left the waterfront near Central completely Grid Locked. I was staying on Kowloon side and the locals didn't even know what FE was let alone what was going on behind the barriers. You can walk most of Hong Kong which is just as well otherwise I don't think I would have ever got to my grandstand. The race was terrible. Even though the track is very short there was no vantage point where you could see much more than one corner and a bit of a straight. The 'burn-outs' moving from the pre-start grid up to the main grid was probably the most spectacular event. The motor whine is not remotely exciting and even the tyre squeal (I guess they use quite hard rubber because the tyres squeal all of the time) leaves you thinking more 'boy racer taking a roundabout too quickly' than pinnacle of motor sport (sorry to our North American friends who don't have the excitement of taking roundabouts too quickly  ;))

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 03:33:24 PM »
I take it you haven't been over here lately, Monty. Roundabouts (or, as we call them, suicide circles) have descended on the land like a plague of locust. They seem to be the new fad in highway design. They travel in herds over here, 2 or 3 back to back.

Since most folks aren't used to them, they suddenly stop, look around in confusion and then proceed very, very slowly.  |-(
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 03:43:51 PM »
I take it you haven't been over here lately, Monty. Roundabouts (or, as we call them, suicide circles) have descended on the land like a plague of locust. They seem to be the new fad in highway design. They travel in herds over here, 2 or 3 back to back.

Since most folks aren't used to them, they suddenly stop, look around in confusion and then proceed very, very slowly.  |-(

I remember the first one to open up near me a few years ago.  As you approached they had a big sign that explained how to use it... by listing a website to go to.

Personally I like them.  If you do it right, it's just like coming out of the pits at the Milwaukee Mile!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 03:50:55 PM »
... even the tyre squeal (I guess they use quite hard rubber because the tyres squeal all of the time) leaves you thinking more 'boy racer taking a roundabout too quickly' than pinnacle of motor sport (sorry to our North American friends who don't have the excitement of taking roundabouts too quickly  ;))

Actually, watching FE, my biggest takeaway was to wonder what F1 tires sounded like if you couldn't hear the engines.  Maybe they squeak just as much!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 12:37:47 AM »

There's a little area north of me called Oro Valley that has begun putting them in. They raise the crosswalks like a wide speedbump and post a 15 MPH speed limit. Did I mention it's a retirement upper class town? That lays out speed traps all over?  ::)
Lonny

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 09:16:13 AM »

I haven't been anywhere for quite a while (COVID lockdowns!!!!).
Covered a fair chunk of Canada in two holidays 2018 & 2019 but certainly haven't travelled around in the USA since 2016. Through the years I have driven a lot in America and can't remember ever seeing a roundabout. I do remember my first visit many years ago sitting at a junction in Raleigh-Durham for two complete cycles of traffic lights before remembering I could filter on red!! Between work and holidays I have driven a fair bit of North Carolina; New York State & Florida and made many visits to Miami, New Orleans, Pascagoula, San Francisco, Los-Angeles, Connecticut and Newark. One of the best holidays I have ever had was a three week road trip from Santa Monica, inland to Las Vegas, then Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, through Death Valley back to the coast and along the coast to San Francisco via Cambria, Hearst Castle, Salmon Creek Falls, Monterey, etc.
Sorry about my off topic ramblings - I think I am getting a bit stir crazy as I am currently not even allowed to drive the 100miles to my second office!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 12:00:00 PM »
Off topic is good. It's not like there's a lot of F1 news to discuss.
Lonny

Offline rmassart

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 03:06:38 PM »

I think roundabouts are a British invention and are actually really useful when traffic is flowing as it generally keeps the cars moving. The problems start when they are added where a minor road crosses a busy major road (good luck going straight on on the minor road!) or when traffic is too heavy. The solution, especially to the latter, is then to add traffic lights. This always makes me chuckle, because they often replaced traffic lights in the first place!

In Europe the added problem is that drivers were used to the general rule of "priority to the right".  Which is always true, except on roundabouts, where priority is given to those on the roundabout, and hence is to the left...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 03:10:53 PM »
I never for one moment thought you'd go all Basingstoke & bring the weird world of roundabouts into a topic about Renault staying in F1.  :o

Just in case you're not sure what I'm talking about there's a link below to the marvellous 35 roundabouts of Basingstoke.  :D
The world record holder is Milton Keynes in the UK - currently 130 & counting.  :o Carmel in California comes a close 2nd with 124 - but who knows it could be more by now.  :DntKnw:

Oh and don't let's be side tracked by the mini roundabouts that now plague nearly every town & village in the UK.  :nono:  |-(

https://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/view-roundabouts
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 11:31:07 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Dare

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 04:13:53 PM »
In the film European Vacation Chevy Chase
couldn't get out of a roundabout in London.
Maybe that's where we got the idea here.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Monty

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 11:06:05 AM »
The UK now has roundabouts around roundabouts. I think one of the first was in Hemel Hempstead which the locals refer to as the 'Magic Roundabout'!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle