collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 359
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Renault staying in F1 as Alpine "Because no one is watching Formula E"  (Read 2999 times)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Renault staying in F1 as Alpine "Because no one is watching Formula E"
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 01:36:26 PM »
In the film European Vacation Chevy Chase
couldn't get out of a roundabout in London.
Maybe that's where we got the idea here.

"Hey kids!  There's Big Ben and Parliament!  Ooops, can't get over... Hey Kids!  There's Big Ben and Parliament!  Why won't they let me in?  Hey kids!  There's Big Ben and Parliament!"

Offline rmassart

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 01:40:37 PM »
The UK now has roundabouts around roundabouts. I think one of the first was in Hemel Hempstead which the locals refer to as the 'Magic Roundabout'!

I had to have a look at this roundabout on Google maps, as I couldn't understand how it would works.  It's quite scary, because normally you drive clockwise around a roundabout in the UK, but on the inside of this magic one, you drive counter-clockwise. Very confusing!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 02:33:01 PM »
The UK now has roundabouts around roundabouts. I think one of the first was in Hemel Hempstead which the locals refer to as the 'Magic Roundabout'!

I had to have a look at this roundabout on Google maps, as I couldn't understand how it would works.  It's quite scary, because normally you drive clockwise around a roundabout in the UK, but on the inside of this magic one, you drive counter-clockwise. Very confusing!

No not really I been through there several times, it's really a circular road with roundabouts along the circumference, just keep heading in direction you want, take each roundabout as single entity til you find the one you need, then take your road off the carousel.

If you miss your road off keep going round til it comes round again, or if you're brave you can turn back at next single roundabout. Much easier to do than describe.  :D

Oh and it's a hell of a lot easier than trying to figure out why Renault spends so much on F1 to come 5th overall and 2 places behind an Independent using the same engine.  :DD 

I'm seriously glad though that they do spend the money to stay in F1.  :good:

« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 02:41:58 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 03:21:04 PM »
Oh and it's a hell of a lot easier than trying to figure out why Renault spends so much on F1 to come 5th overall and 2 places behind an Independent using the same engine.  :DD 

It has to due with the difference between heaven & hell: Heaven is where the British run the police, the French do the cooking and Germans build the cars. Hell is where the Germans run the police, the British do the cooking & the French build the cars.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2021, 07:29:05 PM »
 :DD :DD :DD :DD
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2021, 08:05:29 PM »

It actually works very well and having used them many times in the past have survived to tell the tale.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Monty

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 09:04:35 AM »
Many years ago my family lived about 3 minutes walk from the 'Magic Roundabout'. Walking into town, it was family sport to count the number of accidents we saw  :D
The problem was always when a local confidently went the way they wanted to go (generally at speed) and they met a non local who was in a mild panic and trying to deal with it as one big roundabout!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2021, 11:08:38 AM »
People do watch FE. However, channels make it rather hard to do. The UK, for example, puts Formula E on the BBC Red Button, which many people still don't have (at least, not with enough bandwidth on their TV that they can watch broadcasts that way) and makes no attempt to maintain interest between rounds (which are often too far apart for the 1/2-week cycle that most other series use).

In France (Alpine's home), the situation is even worse as pay channel Canal+ Sport has exclusive rights, with "select rounds" on obscure channel Q8 (I think by "select", it means the French round, which of course didn't happen in 2020). However, Canal+ as a whole only has about 5 million subscribers (which is around 1 in 12 of the French population) and not all of those have access to Canal+ Sport - 2.9 million of them are on the "free" platform (either actually free, or an upgraded version linked with their Orange mobile phone subscription), neither of which includes bonus channels like Canal+ Sport. So even if every single paid subscriber adored Formula E and watched every race, there'd still only be 2.1 million of them.

I should add that when Formula E originally signed with Canal+, its audience figures were much better - it had a propituous drop in audience between 2014 and 2017, losing around half a million paid subscribers per year.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle