collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 142
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16139 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12978 Posts
John S John S
11249 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Now had the Covid Vaccination jab  (Read 16145 times)

Offline Andy B

Re: Now had the Covid Vaccination jab
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2021, 10:20:52 PM »
Switzerland has completely botched the vaccine rollout. 

Here in NZ the rollout is soooooooo slow and then it's reported that 5700 vaccine doses have been wasted by people not turning up!
I find that remarkable why would you not turn up?
For perspective 5700 is a significant number with a population of 5 mill.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2021, 01:47:36 AM »

Here in NZ the rollout is soooooooo slow and then it's reported that 5700 vaccine doses have been wasted by people not turning up!

The rollout in Ontario (the Canadian province I live in) is being done on a location by location basis. So you can sign up with as many locations as you want, then you go to the first one that says they have a shot ready for you.  In theory, I could get thirty calls in one day saying they're ready for me.  All 30 shots would sit and wait until I show up, or cancel.  I haven't heard of any being wasted, but I assume it's a matter of time before those numbers start to come out.

(We also had an all day outage of one of our biggest phone companies, so it was hard to book appointments, which required telephone confirmation)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2021, 09:16:52 AM »

Several reasons I've heard (I'd like to clarify beforehand that I believe every single one is either something a reasonable system and reasonable health service users should have anticipated... ...or complete tosh):

- You got it from somewhere else (some systems have had problems with people being auto-issued duplicate invites, others with no good way to back out of an appointment if received earlier)

- You can't make the appointment issued and there's no way to reschedule (the UK has had this to some extent - particularly with people unable to get time off work at short notice - but has a system to ensure doses are unlikely to be wasted)

- You think you don't need it now (NZ has lifted most of its restrictions, and in the UK even small increases in freedom have led to disproportionately large decreases in the perceived threat level/importance of COVID-19)

- You are worried about vaccine escape and potentially futility (wrongly, since no variant has total escape and some have zero vaccine escape).

- You've seen the UK officially leave pandemic status due to vaccines, look at the fact it has had numerous other COVID-related problems, assume this is one more inaccurate statement and wonder what disaster's being hidden this time (I've seen this from some non-UK contacts)

- You aren't ready psychologically for the vaccine (some people want more information about the vaccine to be comfortable taking it, either because they don't have/know how to effectively use the internet for this purpose or due to the vaccine being an emergency-use rather than mainline vaccine (thus having more question marks on certain matters e.g. long-term effects). Some GPs have taken to calling everyone who misses an appointment or indicates they wish to miss it, to have a 10-20 minute conversation about it. This has so far (anecdontally) been 95-97% effective in persuading people to accept and attend vaccine appointments).

- You are anti-vaxx (about 8% of people in the UK are anti-vaxx in general, but usually the general population doesn't care much due to herd immunity). Probably not the main factor in NZ, else I'd expect a lot more appointments to have been missed (5700 is not even 1% of the population, and I think NZ's had more than 1% worth of first doses).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2021, 10:09:09 PM »
Ali.
The 5700 is just <1% of the population but you have to take into account that only 2% are vaccinated, it is reasonable to assume a percentage would not have made the appointment for a good reason but I am led to believe that if a call is received to say you cannot make it then that dose can be used on anyone who want's it. It probably is a case that because we are and have been Covid free for so long there is a lethargy to peoples approach.
My wife and I, very royal, have ours booked for the 11th May and I expect to be given the date of the second at that time.

I'm now off on a two day motorcycle ride. Bye for now.

Offline Dare

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 01:22:18 AM »
Many people here in the US aren't getting their second shot.
They may have fears about it or figure if everyone else gets
there's I'll be safe anyway. Same for mask wearing. There a
inconvenience but if it keeps you safe what's the harm.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 02:11:23 PM »
A large number of the folks I know around here are still saying that the pandemic is a fake because Trump & Fox News say it is.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 04:30:07 PM »
There is no cure for willfully stupid.
Lonny

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2021, 04:52:54 PM »
Potentially 1/3 of the doses wasted is a lot, in that case.

Here, doses for people who cancel are used on whoever can get there on short notice. If GPs can't give it to someone both local and eligible, they'll give it to someone local but not techically eligible. As a result, most shots that weren't given to someone missing an appointment ended up in people's arms, just not always the planned ones.

Parts of New Zealand are rural and might have difficulty getting people in at short notice, though. Especially with a "lethargy to people's approach".

Enjoy the motorbike ride!
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2021, 04:56:20 AM »

Enjoy the motorbike ride!

A great ride 670 kms over two days I need to go more often!

Offline Dare

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2021, 11:28:23 PM »
A large number of the folks I know around here are still saying that the pandemic is a fake because Trump & Fox News say it is.

I know the type. One told me I probably had the
flu. Too bad those aren't the ones that  catch it.

Their the same ones that think the election was rigged.
Maybe his highness will be tied up in court for years to come
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2021, 11:13:29 PM »
Thank gawd had both of mine.  :yahoo:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2021, 06:56:02 PM »
I get my first on Friday  :yahoo: :yahoo:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2021, 06:14:29 PM »
Forgot to mention: got my first jab a week last Saturday. I had Pfizer, and had to have oxygen for a few minutes afterwards.

Second dose at the end of July.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2021, 02:02:12 PM »
Here in Ohio, the governor has started the Vax-A-Million program. any Ohioan who has had at least one shot may register. People 18 years and older can win $1 million. Folks 14-17 can win a full, 4 year collage scholarship. There will be one drawing for each group per week for 5 weeks.

Yes, I am registered!

https://www.ohiovaxamillion.com/
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2021, 05:09:32 PM »
A friend of mine in California says they have a similar thing going on.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle