collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 381
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Say it's isn't true  (Read 5154 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: Say it's isn't true
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 02:50:39 AM »
This points to a business rule I've noticed in other areas, a new customer is more valuable than a current customer. F1 is hoping to attract new fans with what they hope is a more exciting format and to hell with long time fans who just see another gimmick.
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 04:23:14 AM »
This points to a business rule I've noticed in other areas, a new customer is more valuable than a current customer. F1 is hoping to attract new fans with what they hope is a more exciting format and to hell with long time fans who just see another gimmick.

Growth is good.

Viewers who are looking for a spectacle will soon move on.  (Ask NASCAR who in 10 years went from building as many tracks as possible to taking seats out of their 'big' events so they could sell out at half capacity)

I think F1 is right to grow by going to different countries and courting sponsors, like Red Bull, who can bring a fan base.

With that said, I'm curious to see how these sprints play out.  If it gets attendance up for the promoters, that's a good thing.  It might make some of the 'smaller/classic' venues more profitable.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 01:57:44 PM »
F1 already does figure 8 racing in its own way. It's called Suzuka ;)

This feels like the solution to a problem F1 doesn't have, that will only cause more problems in its wake. My main objection is that the format, in every iteration I've heard, is easily gamed, making some rounds less important than others from the outset and therefore not taken with due seriousness. I'm expecting another version of Silverstone 2004 qualifying (where the forecast was for a wet second qualifying, therefore most of the frontrunners deliberately proceeded as slowly as possible and Minardi got provisional pole. The second qualifying session was dry, normal service resumed and the format was changed as soon as possible thereafter. Of course, this being the FIA we discuss, it took two more goes to fix the problem...)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 03:17:32 PM »
The NASCAR example is on point. They made massive changes to attract new fans. Scrapping popular, long standing venues for cookie cutter Charlotte clones in "destination cities," spec racer cars, gimmick rules (do any of these sound familiar?) They attracted new "fad fans" but drove off a fair chunk of their base. Now the fad fans have moved on to the next fad leaving a much smaller hard core base.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 03:31:55 PM »
Didn't Liberty learn from their previous actions that F1 is a global sport and has to appeal globally, not just to one (admittedly big) section of the potential audience?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 07:04:03 PM »
Have I missed something here? surely 2 races at a race weekend with full Quali, albeit on Fri, seems like a good deal to me.

No one is suggesting cancelling the Sunday race so I really can't see how this is a dilution of the ethos. I find it more troubling that the FIA has taken away practice time this year at every race, meaning my enjoyment and cost of coverage on pay TV has been quite substantially changed.

If F1 still ran to the same rules as 1950 I could see the historic objection, but in reality everything except the Sunday race is now different, this is just another trial iteration. You never know we may all get to like this extra race. 
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 12:38:44 AM »
Have I missed something here? surely 2 races at a race weekend with full Quali, albeit on Fri, seems like a good deal to me.

No one is suggesting cancelling the Sunday race so I really can't see how this is a dilution of the ethos. I find it more troubling that the FIA has taken away practice time this year at every race, meaning my enjoyment and cost of coverage on pay TV has been quite substantially changed.

If F1 still ran to the same rules as 1950 I could see the historic objection, but in reality everything except the Sunday race is now different, this is just another trial iteration. You never know we may all get to like this extra race.

Too me it's like in the Olympics' having a couple
of 50 meter races the day before the main 100 meter race.
What's the point

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 07:38:20 AM »

What's the point

I quite agree and if a driver is injured or a car damaged enough to not be able to race on Sunday what's the point.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 09:39:52 PM »

What's the point

I quite agree and if a driver is injured or a car damaged enough to not be able to race on Sunday what's the point.

As they say in France Andy - C'est la vie.

If a car gets smashed up they rebuild it, just as they do if it gets totalled in Quali, or even practice.

Oh and Dare, they always hold build up races in the Olympics, they're called 'heats'.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 11:36:15 PM »
I still don't have to like it John and the difference between the Olympic heats and F1 is there is only room for 8 runners so the heats are needed a sprint race in F1 is not.

Offline Dare

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 11:44:08 PM »
And the heat races are 100 meters and that's how you
advance to the finals.

I was a little worried when someone agreed with me.

Offline Monty

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 09:46:24 AM »
I love watching racing so sprint races are not a total disaster as far as I am concerned. However, they would have to do something to make the sprint race different to the main race. In World Superbike they do this by having a completely different tyre for the sprint race. The outcome can result in different bike/rider performances between the sprint race and the main race. In F1 they could have different 'sprint tyres' plus they could chose to run old engines turned up to 11 in a 'win or explode' approach (this would only be true if the race was for half points and didn't change qualifying for the main race).
I doubt it will happen but I also think they need to make F1 more interesting for a wider audience.

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2021, 07:27:50 PM »

More like a race and a gamed gimmick event (since most racers will have incentive to do less than their best), with qualifying a glorified practise session (and an actual practise session removed). In other words, it would be less for my time investment.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 08:01:18 PM »
From Planet F1 and why we should not have Sprint Races and you have to agree that they have very good points.

https://www.planetf1.com/features/formula-1-sprint-races-unnecessary/

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle