collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 360
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Say it's isn't true  (Read 5161 times)

Offline Dare

Re: Say it's isn't true
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 11:36:38 PM »
I thought they were trying to cut costs? How would sprints do that
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:09:18 AM by Dare »
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 11:55:27 PM »

No preserving the life of the engine in a sprint race plus the potential extra parts cost then there's the transporting more parts as more wings will get trimmed during racing rather than practice.
Are you listening Ross or shall we  bring Bernie back?  :yahoo:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:10:09 AM by Dare »
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2021, 04:23:34 PM »

No preserving the life of the engine in a sprint race plus the potential extra parts cost then there's the transporting more parts as more wings will get trimmed during racing rather than practice.

When you put it like that sounds like we are going to need rubber bumpers/fenders/front wings.  :DD 
Wonder what Newy can make of that.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2021, 06:32:42 PM »
They might need to bring back the T car, to be sure nobody misses the main race by writing a car off in the Sprint.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Andy B

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2021, 08:27:06 PM »
They might need to bring back the T car, to be sure nobody misses the main race by writing a car off in the Sprint.

They dropped that due to the cost so I doubt that will happen but then again who knows? :DntKnw:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Dare

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 08:32:03 PM »
How about go-kart races. More passing and no
harm to the cars or engines
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 11:47:20 PM »

Even though they've been trying to cut costs, the ultimate goal is to make more money.  Qualifying sessions aren't as well attended as race days, therefore the promoters are selling fewer tickets, t-shirts and beers.  If more people show up on Saturdays, and Fridays to watch qualifying (pre qualifying?), then the FIA can ask for more money from the promoters, award bigger prizes to teams.  Further, if people watch Q/Sprint/Race, that's more eyeballs for sponsors, so larger contracts can be made.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2021, 12:17:17 AM »

On the contrary - the sprint races decide grid positions, so engines will be deliberately dialled back in the sprint races for everyone who isn't a contender for significant points.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2021, 03:06:20 PM »
They dropped that due to the cost so I doubt that will happen but then again who knows?  :DntKnw: 

They did, but I stopped expecting logic or constancy from F1 years ago.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2021, 03:31:23 PM »

On the contrary - the sprint races decide grid positions, so engines will be deliberately dialled back in the sprint races for everyone who isn't a contender for significant points.

Not sure that has been confirmed Alia, all that has been guaranteed is no reverse grid race.

I believe only principal of a Saturday sprint race at selected tracks was voted on and they are still talking on the method and implementation, i.e. grid and possible points for sprint race.

I'm under the impression normal Quali although moved to Fri will still set Sunday GP grid order as usual, but I could be wrong.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 03:39:28 PM »

You can enjoy Karting instead of F1 action if you like Dare, I'm damned if I'll pay SKY TV big money to watch hornets swarm instead of proper F1 cars on track on a Saturday.   :stop: :crazy:

It'd be ok to add a drivers Kart race to make up for lost practice time but not instead of Quali.   :nono:

Offline Dare

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 03:59:49 PM »

You can enjoy Karting instead of F1 action if you like Dare, I'm damned if I'll pay SKY TV big money to watch hornets swarm instead of proper F1 cars on track on a Saturday.   :stop: :crazy:

It'd be ok to add a drivers Kart race to make up for lost practice time but not instead of Quali.   :nono:

A little American sarcasm John...I don't like
carting either.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2021, 06:03:59 PM »

A little American sarcasm John...I don't like
carting either.

Well you got me there Dare.  :-[

Mind you Karting is good when you see it live at a track, them crates can really speed round the dinky tracks they use.

Good thing is you can mostly see the whole circuit so you get to see action from start to finish. A lot more dive bombing at corners than is acceptable in any other open wheel racing - except maybe for lawnmowers - but that's another story.  ;)

Offline Monty

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2021, 10:14:28 AM »
I started in Karting & my kids grew up Karting. I used to really struggle to find the budget - worrying to think that if you added up the purchase costs of the whole field of a Rotax Max race it wouldnt cost as much as an F1 steering wheel!!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2021, 04:05:38 PM »

Not sure that has been confirmed Alia, all that has been guaranteed is no reverse grid race.

I believe only principal of a Saturday sprint race at selected tracks was voted on and they are still talking on the method and implementation, i.e. grid and possible points for sprint race.

I'm under the impression normal Quali although moved to Fri will still set Sunday GP grid order as usual, but I could be wrong.

I'm going by F1.com's piece about it, which says, "The sport’s key stakeholders met via video conference on Thursday to discuss a range of topics, including tweaking the weekend format, with the subject of a shorter sprint race on Saturday to define Sunday’s grid discussed." It's qualifting part 2.

As for karting... ...rather hard to watch that, as most of the tracks near me have been shut since last March (and one since the October before last, presumably not to COVID). Two were open for a couple of months last autumn, but it's likely televised motorsport will be back before karting in-person is.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle