collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 366
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2021 Bahrain GP Heroes and Zeroes  (Read 2140 times)

Online Jericoke

2021 Bahrain GP Heroes and Zeroes
« on: March 28, 2021, 07:08:50 PM »
Heroes
Holding over the 2020 rules to 2021, allowing teams to race closely. 

Lewis Hamilton.  He's on record as wanting a proper title fight, and it looks like we've got one with Verstappen.  I wasn't sure if Hamilton would be able to hold off a determined pass from a faster car, but he managed Max perfectly, forcing Max to take the bait and run wide.  Lewis continues to add to his arsenal of driving skills.  Whatever Rosberg went through to win 2016, Max is going to have to go beyond that.

Max Verstappen.  I still feel like he's the 'young upstart', but he's in his 7th F1 season.  He continues to mature, and understand that F1 isn't about trying something every lap, but building a perfect moment lap over lap.  He's still got some work to do if he wants to be a better driver than Hamilton, but I think he's going to learn what it takes to become a champion this year.

Mercedes Strategists.  When you know what you're doing, and have faith that you know what you're doing, that you can predict 90 minutes into the future exactly who is going to be where on the race track, that is the dream F1 team.  Even the Todt/Brawn era of Ferrari couldn't plan the last lap of the race that well.

Red Bull Engineers. With the rules held over from 2020, there wasn't much room to make the car better, but they managed to pull a miracle out of that tight space.  Even with Perez's troubles, he had enough car underneath him to put in a great day.

Checo Perez.  It looked like he was going to have an inauspicious start with Red Bull, but he managed to put on a determined drive.  It looks like he'll be a factor in deciding race wins once his luck turns around.

Yuki Tsunoda.  Anyone who scores points in their first F1 race has had a good day.  He looks like he's both an exciting and mature racer.  His battle with Kimi was textbook.

Zeroes
I'm debating whether Mazepin is even worth mentioning.

Haas looks like they're going to have a rough year.  I just hope that no one gets hurt.

Offline Willy

Re: 2021 Bahrain GP Heroes and Zeroes
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 10:23:53 PM »
I believe I can agree with Jeri on every point. It will be exciting to see Red Bull and Honda power give Merc a good run this year.
Edge of your seat stuff the last few laps today.
Nice

Offline Warmwater

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 03:47:35 AM »
Winners:
Mercedes team, both for overcoming the aero shortcoming and somehow managing the tyres to keep the Red Bull from taking the win. Bottas did pretty good.
Red Bull team for producing a faster car, though the flaws in the Mercedes make it look better than maybe it is.
Perez was brilliant.
Losers:
Max, for the error of driving off the track, not supposed to do that.
Williams: How many years will it take to figure out what is wrong?

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 06:38:30 AM »
Excellent race. Agree with all the points above.

I think it will take me a while to get used to some of the new car designs. Kept on thinking the Aston Martin's were Mercedes', but couldn't figure out why they would be behind the McLarens and Ferraris!   :confused: really confusing - at least for me.

On the the track limits thing. Clearly Verstappen ran wide, but every other driver did so too. In one clip Hamilton is clearly very wide whilst being chased by Verstappen.   I understand the point that Verstappen was making a pass, but in the end, either the track has limits and you can't cross them (in some case physical limits like in Monaco!) or it doesn't. Having a rule interpreted differently depending on circumstance is strange to me. Why do drivers run wide if not to gain advantage?

Much as I prefer Hamilton, I feel Verstappen was hard done by.

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 09:53:33 AM »
I think Jeri has got this spot on.
I really enjoyed the race - probably better than any race in 2020.
I think I would add a hero mention for both McLaren boys and Russell for his qualifying run.
Also I would add a WTF for Vettel. I know he hasn't had the mileage he should have had and that he was unlucky during qualifying but he just didn't seem to have any speed and the brush with Ocon was just clumsy!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 01:57:44 PM »
Most of my picks have already been mentioned. Perez was my pick for Driver of the Day. He went from the brink of being a DNS to P5.

Tsunoda was also impressive. Besides getting points in his first F1 race, he raced with and overtook some front line driver. Best of all, he did it without doing anything really outrageous. It was all good, clean racing.

As a Haas fan, I will definitely list Masispin as a Zero. I hope Haas has a clause in his contract that Daddy has to pay for damages over & above the sponsorship payments.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 05:24:15 PM »
Alonzo's retirement could almost be seen as a metaphor for his career since his last WDC. On a track that had almost no spectators in the stands, he got a sandwich wrapper caught in a rear brake duct, overheating the rear brakes. If it weren't for bad luck, he wouldn't have any luck at all.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/31157444/alonso-f1-comeback-race-ended-sandwich-wrap-brake-ducts
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 01:11:36 PM »
Losers: The FIA, for changing the rules mid-race and cheating everyone out of at least two good scraps as a result (Hamilton/Verstappen and Ocon/Vettel) through having double standards for part of the race. And then Michael Masi lied about it.

Winners: Everyone else for putting up with the FIA effectively invalidating everything they worked so hard to achieve without punching the responsible individual.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 10:23:48 PM »
Alonzo's retirement could almost be seen as a metaphor for his career since his last WDC. On a track that had almost no spectators in the stands, he got a sandwich wrapper caught in a rear brake duct, overheating the rear brakes. If it weren't for bad luck, he wouldn't have any luck at all.

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/31157444/alonso-f1-comeback-race-ended-sandwich-wrap-brake-ducts

I didn’t realize that’s what caused it...with all the restaurants closed, there’s too much sandwich wrap lying around. ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2021, 12:01:28 AM »
Actually I saw a correction that said it was a front brake duct. Still, just more bad luck.
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle