F1 News & Discussions > Pit Pass

F1 Race result maybe uncertain for days after GP with new FIA deep dive checks

<< < (2/4) > >>

John S:

--- Quote from: Alianora La Canta on April 04, 2021, 10:22:43 AM ---Even the FIA can't answer that one, because they don't keep track of all their race briefings and informal notes that also act as regulations but never get formally noted as such. (Why yes, I do have a bee in my bonnet about this one, as someone on a different forum moaned at me earlier this week...)

--- End quote ---

Alia is the bee in your proverbial bonnet:
(a) lack of proper FIA records, so what are the actual regs?
(b) the fact they change things on the hoof in so many ways after rule sets are fixed for year?
(c) fundamental opposition to this deep dive scheme? -
        [1] because it looks more like a hunting expedition that assumes teams are always up to something, i.e. cheating, but with no real idea there's anything wrong
        [2] it's cunning plan to try to find out just how the different teams work software, as they (the FIA) ain't really got a clue.

............ Or something else entirely?

I'm sure many on here would like your more detailed opinion, Alia, I know I should.

lkjohnson1950:
 :good: :good:

Always interested in Alia's take on anything F1...or in her travelogues as well.  :D

cosworth151:
It seems that F1 is trying to move toward a NASCAR style model. NASCAR has long bragged that "the rules are written in pencil, not ink."

lkjohnson1950:
NASCAR also has a rule that whoever crosses the line first is the winner, regardless of any rules infraction discovered later. Big Bill France didn't want to have a small print article on the back page of the sports section a couple days later announce a new winner.

Alianora La Canta:
Technically, the FIA were allowed to do deep dives before - the Ferrari investigation is an example, involving at least one, and likely two separate, confiscation(s) and deep dive(s) into the 2019 engine. It was just that in practise, they only did it if they saw a surface sign that something was amiss. Another good example is the BAR 2006 car - they did a deep dive, but only when scrutineers discovered a draining problem on one car in round 4 of the season. That deep dive resulted in BAR getting disqualified for two races, but the disqualification from the round where the draining problem was discovered was the prompt.

Now, they're proposing it as a pre-emptive measure. Still perfectly legal. However, the debacle of Bahrain may will make teams dubious as to the good-faith nature of the FIA's conduct. Remember they changed the rule regarding Turn 4 three times (albeit twice in the same document) on a single weekend, the last of these during the race (and then Michael quite transparently lied about it). Add to this that the drivers were apparently barred from downtalking any aspect of F1 at the start of the weekend (a futile task, I think), and the impression given is of Stefano Domenicalli being given supreme power (well, co-supreme power with Jean Todt) without knowing how to use it for psuedopolitical effectiveness - or to the benefit of Liberty (his organisation). Chase Carey was a bit savvier. (You may wonder why I'm talking about Stefano primarily. It's because Liberty and the FIA agreed to present a united front regarding F1 last year. Jean would not have allowed himself such naive excesses; he would have selected the targets of his ire much more carefully, and then used a more precise approach in hitting them).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version