collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 378
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: F1 Race result maybe uncertain for days after GP with new FIA deep dive checks  (Read 5132 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Seems Ferrari fuel flow saga furore has prompted a more intrusive tech check system to be enacted.

All those who cried foul at secret Ferrari fuel flow deal are rewarded with even more draconian post race check system.  :swoon:

Be careful what you holler about, FIA reply may make your eyes water more than original outrage.   :D   

https://www.racefans.net/2021/03/27/fia-to-conduct-new-deeper-random-post-race-technical-checks-on-f1-cars/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 10:53:52 AM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

Wait for the brouhaha the first time they disqualify a winner or even a podium finisher.
Lonny

Online Jericoke

The space shuttle went into orbit with 2 k of memory.  If we need to spend weeks/months deciphering code for an F1 car, maybe it's time to put a hard cap on how much memory an F1 car can use.  Everything else is regulated, why not give F1 cars a single ARM chip with a floppy drive?  It would require some fantastic innovation which would have real world applications, while making it much easier for an F1 car to be scrutineered.

It would ALSO bring back the mythical reliance on driver skill over team programming ability.

Offline Warmwater

Can anyone tell me how many regulations there are in F1?
There must be a few million.    >:(
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.” ― Mario Andretti.

Offline Alianora La Canta

Even the FIA can't answer that one, because they don't keep track of all their race briefings and informal notes that also act as regulations but never get formally noted as such. (Why yes, I do have a bee in my bonnet about this one, as someone on a different forum moaned at me earlier this week...)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
Even the FIA can't answer that one, because they don't keep track of all their race briefings and informal notes that also act as regulations but never get formally noted as such. (Why yes, I do have a bee in my bonnet about this one, as someone on a different forum moaned at me earlier this week...)

Alia is the bee in your proverbial bonnet:
(a) lack of proper FIA records, so what are the actual regs?
(b) the fact they change things on the hoof in so many ways after rule sets are fixed for year?
(c) fundamental opposition to this deep dive scheme? -
        [1] because it looks more like a hunting expedition that assumes teams are always up to something, i.e. cheating, but with no real idea there's anything wrong
        [2] it's cunning plan to try to find out just how the different teams work software, as they (the FIA) ain't really got a clue.

............ Or something else entirely?

I'm sure many on here would like your more detailed opinion, Alia, I know I should.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 12:32:17 PM by John S »

Offline lkjohnson1950

:good: :good:

Always interested in Alia's take on anything F1...or in her travelogues as well.  :D
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

It seems that F1 is trying to move toward a NASCAR style model. NASCAR has long bragged that "the rules are written in pencil, not ink."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

NASCAR also has a rule that whoever crosses the line first is the winner, regardless of any rules infraction discovered later. Big Bill France didn't want to have a small print article on the back page of the sports section a couple days later announce a new winner.
Lonny

Technically, the FIA were allowed to do deep dives before - the Ferrari investigation is an example, involving at least one, and likely two separate, confiscation(s) and deep dive(s) into the 2019 engine. It was just that in practise, they only did it if they saw a surface sign that something was amiss. Another good example is the BAR 2006 car - they did a deep dive, but only when scrutineers discovered a draining problem on one car in round 4 of the season. That deep dive resulted in BAR getting disqualified for two races, but the disqualification from the round where the draining problem was discovered was the prompt.

Now, they're proposing it as a pre-emptive measure. Still perfectly legal. However, the debacle of Bahrain may will make teams dubious as to the good-faith nature of the FIA's conduct. Remember they changed the rule regarding Turn 4 three times (albeit twice in the same document) on a single weekend, the last of these during the race (and then Michael quite transparently lied about it). Add to this that the drivers were apparently barred from downtalking any aspect of F1 at the start of the weekend (a futile task, I think), and the impression given is of Stefano Domenicalli being given supreme power (well, co-supreme power with Jean Todt) without knowing how to use it for psuedopolitical effectiveness - or to the benefit of Liberty (his organisation). Chase Carey was a bit savvier. (You may wonder why I'm talking about Stefano primarily. It's because Liberty and the FIA agreed to present a united front regarding F1 last year. Jean would not have allowed himself such naive excesses; he would have selected the targets of his ire much more carefully, and then used a more precise approach in hitting them).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Scott

I just want to know if Racing Point is an Aston Martin or Mercedes ;)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Aston Martin. Next question please.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline cosworth151

It's a Jordan/Midland/Spyker/Force India/Racing Point/Aston Martin.  :confused:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S

I'd say more Merc than Aston currently, and there's the rub - it's an outdated Merc.  :D

Online Jericoke

I'd say more Merc than Aston currently, and there's the rub - it's an outdated Merc.  :D

Except the flaming brake ducts.  Those are pure Aston Martin

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle