F1 News & Discussions > General F1 Discussion

2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix Heroes and Zeroes

(1/4) > >>

Jericoke:
Heroes

Lewis Hamilton.  I've never seen anyone recover from a crash like that, in a gravel trap, and finish a solid second place.  Even the people running live timing counted him out!

Max Verstappen.  Fantastic start.  Running in a commanding lead on a wet track can lead to inattention which could have easily lead to a DNF, so keeping his head the whole time, especially in his Fastest Lap duel with Hamilton at the end, that's a 'hero' to me.

Lando Norris.  Put in a great race.  Finishing third in a wet race is an accomplishment no matter who you are.  Holding off Lewis Hamilton in a faster car for even a few laps is also about as heroic as a race car driver can do.

Ferrari.  Looks like they've got things turned around from last year.  Understanding they're not looking at wins, much less a championship, seems to have evened things out.

Yuki Tsunoda.  He's driving like a rookie, taking chances that he really doesn't need to, but he's not endangering other racers, so he's taking SMART chances.  Once he gets a feel for what it takes to race an F1 car, he's going to have a bright future.

Zeroes

George Russell.  I know that an F1 race is a series of split second decisions, and a drying track makes things even harder, but expecting two Mercedes to take the wet line on the same lap just isn't good racecraft.

Alpine.  Don't feel like they're ready to race with the big boys yet.  Alonso is looking disappointingly average.

Honourable mention.

Mazepin has already finished more races than I expected this season.

Warmwater:
HEROS:
Lewis Hamilton. Okay, I will have to admit that he is a superior driver. Though Mercedes deserves some of the credit.
Max Verstappen. He kept the car on the track, that was important.
Lando Norris. Wow!
ZEROS:
Aston Martin. They should have kept Sergio Perez.
Fernando Alonso. How the mighty have fallen.

Dare:

--- Quote from: Warmwater on April 19, 2021, 12:12:39 AM ---HEROS:
Lewis Hamilton. Okay, I will have to admit that he is a superior driver. Though Mercedes deserves some of the credit.
Lando Norris. Wow!
ZEROS:

--- End quote ---

I bet Papa Stroll is having some second thoughts too.

Andy B:
Surely Alpine is pronounced Al-pine not Al-peen as Sky commentators keep doing.
Nothing to add to the above other than to say the Vettel, Alonso Mazepin have not surprised me!

Scott:

--- Quote from: Dare on April 19, 2021, 12:33:27 AM ---
--- Quote from: Warmwater on April 19, 2021, 12:12:39 AM ---HEROS:
Lando Norris. Wow!
ZEROS:

--- End quote ---

I bet Papa Stroll is having some second thoughts too.

--- End quote ---

And I bet Perez would have come at a fraction of the price of Vettel. 

I often smile thinking about how dire Perez's options were this time last year and then he gets picked by perhaps the fastest team of 2021...too funny.  He must pinch himself each morning as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version